News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Re: The Kingsley Club / Digest review
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2003, 12:33:18 PM »

One of these magazines should do this rankings deal right, if they're going to keep doing it: Hire (yes, hire) a VERY SMALL (the smallest practicable to do the job) staff of people with an eye for architecture and the capacity to express their preferences, and send them out across the countryside in search of the Best, New; Best, Old; Best, Period.

Think they'd get a few applicants, Dan?   ;)

Matt has suggested this as well and it's very logical that such would be the best way to do this.  BUT... do you seriously think that's ever going to happen?  The rankings work just fine, at least for the 99% of magazine readers who know nothing about this web site, anyway.  There is zero incentive to change, even assuming the magazines wanted to spend this kinda money on something they get basically for free now...

Given the reality of things, each magazine's rankings seem just fine by me.

TH
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2003, 12:57:13 PM »

Think they'd get a few applicants, Dan?   ;)

Matt has suggested this as well and it's very logical that such would be the best way to do this.  BUT... do you seriously think that's ever going to happen?  The rankings work just fine, at least for the 99% of magazine readers who know nothing about this web site, anyway.  There is zero incentive to change, even assuming the magazines wanted to spend this kinda money on something they get basically for free now...

Tom IV --

I could not care one Whit(ten) if it's ever going to happen!

I'm sure you're right: It's never going to happen -- any more than Golf Digest and Golf Magazine are ever going to stop publishing their annual (semi-annual? bimonthly?) Sure-Fire Cure for Your Slice! (Not YOUR slice, Tom IV. I have it on good authority that yours is a fade -- and a well-controlled one, at that!)

I'm sure you're right: There's no incentive (except, possibly, some internally supplied drive for excellence) for the magazines to change the way they do business.

So they won't.

All's right with the world!

Well, maybe.

Capitalism -- including all branches of the golf business -- is cluttered with people who are perfectly content to do things the cheap, profitable (albeit shoddy) way. Nothing I can do about that.

All I'm saying is: The way I suggest they should do these ratings is the way I think it would be done best -- which, the way I look at the world (and the way the architects this Discussion Group admires most look at the world), is the only way to do something if you're going to do it at all.

Call me a pipe dreamer. I've been called that here before -- and have pled Guilty.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

THuckaby2

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2003, 01:04:07 PM »
Ok, gotcha Dan.  Hey, I like to dream also.  If a magazine goes to your system, my dream would be to get one of those jobs.

I also dream that I lose 50 pounds, win the lottery, my wife can stop working, she can design kitchens (yes, that is her dream) and I can play golf every day, and if my kids get into SCU or Stanford we can afford to pay for it.

But none of those things are very likely to happen - they're all about as likely as this paid rater system coming to pass.

So we can dream, or we can try and think of real changes that not only would help, but can happen.  Do I wait for the lottery winnings, or work at a real way to better our lives?

It's just about that black and white as I see it re this whole rating thing.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back