News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Woods on Olympia Fields
« on: June 10, 2003, 11:42:52 AM »
Posted this on another thread, but I think it needs its own thread, plus one of the dumb faces ended up in the middle of the post.

Woods, who clinched last year's U.S. Open by three shots at a rain-sodden Bethpage State Park on Long Island, is expecting a very different test of golf at Olympia Fields Country Club outside Chicago next week.
"It's a different golf course, there are a lot of angles on this golf course," he said. "You have to shape the ball and you have to make a decision on your carries, what line you are going to take.
"At Bethpage, it was straight ahead and go ahead, go ahead, and speed it."

Angles at a U.S. Open site? Somebody call the doctor!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Rick Shefchik

Re: Woods on Olympia Fields
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 11:46:36 AM »
Great news, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing against Bethpage Black -- I think the Open ought to be contested on a variety of styles of courses -- but I'm going to find the tournament more interesting if placement and patience are rewarded as much as length.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 12:33:04 PM »
Not having been to either course, it does seem to be a signficant difference between the two courses.  Bethpage seems to have lots of bunkers on the corners and you can bite off as much as you can chew.  For big hitters like Tiger that just means hit it hard in the proper direction.  A course like Olympia Fields where the doglegs have trees on the corners it seems you have to shape the shot around the corner instead of over powering it.  Does this mean that trees are good? ;)

Gary_Smith

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 01:50:12 PM »
Woods is also saying that if Olympia Fields doesn't get some wind, then it is near defenseless and he expects players are going to shoot low.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back