News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

My protestant wife, inlaws and friends are all immensely jealous these days... this is a very cool process indeed, very fun to watch and follow.

Now we just need an announcement - when does that happen?

My money's still on one of the Italians.  An insider clued me into that last week.  But we shall see... I do lose bets all the time...

Is betting on who becomes the next Pope a venial or mortal sin?

;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 12:19:18 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Dan Kelly

Is betting on who becomes the next Pope a venial or mortal sin?

It's a Cardinal sin.

P.S. Talk about your potential scandals! Point-shaving in the Conclave!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 12:21:50 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

THuckaby2

"Cardinal sin" - love it!

JK - darn it but we don't have any TV's here, not any that get decent reception anyway... but I am off to seek one out.  Thanks.

Another cool aspect of this is what name he chooses... many think he'll be John Paul III... but that could go many ways.  No bets placed on that one.

Come on Scola!

TH

John_Cullum

Damno illo fumo albus
Raynor was a hack

Mike_Cirba

Rumor on the streets is that Huckaby turned them down because he has better access as a civilian.   ;D

THuckaby2

Rumor on the streets is that Huckaby turned them down because he has better access as a civilian.   ;D

Damn right.  Lots of places the Pope of Golf would be scorned.  One must keep one's options open.

JC - excellent Latin.  Rosa alba est, my friend.

;D ;D

I can't find a TV!

Mike_Cirba

I'm picking the African fellow.  It would be an awesome statement.

John_Cullum

Whats the delay? I think someone asked for a recount.
Raynor was a hack

THuckaby2

I'm picking the African fellow.  It would be an awesome statement.

Oh wow, in terms of a statement I would cry hallelujah right out loud here in the office if Arinde gets it.

I just don't see my church being that progressive... as much as I would love it... and my mother could then die happy....

Thus my money went with my head, not my heart.

John_Cullum

You gotta love this. Huck is getting his papal updates from Golf Club Atlas.
Raynor was a hack

John_Cullum

Just be careful if Pope Law sends a priest to the mountains.
Raynor was a hack

Mike_Cirba

Huck,

We can dream, though, right.  

I'm not even Catholic but it would be an inspiring and inspired selection.

By the way, John Cullum, this site has better coverage than CNN.   ;D

THuckaby2

JC:  I know, isn't this great?  This is either a new height or a new absolute low for this site, depending on one's preferences.

And JK, that's right, thanks for the procedural clarification.  This could take awhile for sure.

And you are correct, it doesn't have to be a cardinal.  But man would that be an upset if that occurs... even bigger than when JPII was elected...

My mother had some choice words about certain of the cardinals as well.  I believe her faith of choice was Hindu.  We have always had a strange thing for Eastern religions.

;)

THuckaby2

Huck,

We can dream, though, right.  

I'm not even Catholic but it would be an inspiring and inspired selection.

Absolutely.  And that is where my heart is.  But my money, well....

Brian_Gracely

Live (and free) video feeds on msnbc.com

Gracely out!

John_Cullum

I'm voting to give it back to the Italians. It just seems sort of an order for the universe.
Raynor was a hack

Mike Benham

Actually, the white smoke was displayed as the Vatican has announced a trade.  Paul Tagliabue is walking to the mike ...

"Welcome to 2005 NFL Draft.  The San Francisco 49ers announce a trade, the first draft pick and 5 autographed Joe Montana jerseys to the Vatican Vipers in exchange for the rights to the next Pope and 2 Cardinals to be named later."

"... and I liked the guy ..."

John_Cullum

The German!!! Amazing!
Raynor was a hack

Mike Benham

Actually, the white smoke was displayed as the Vatican has announced a trade.  Paul Tagliabue is walking to the mike ...

"Welcome to 2005 NFL Draft.  The San Francisco 49ers announce a trade, the first draft pick and 5 autographed Joe Montana jerseys to the Vatican Vipers in exchange for the rights to the next Pope and 2 Cardinals to be named later."

Dr. John York, owner of the SF 49ers commented "As bad as we have been, the only hell in chance we have of being good is through devine intervention ..."

John_Cullum

Benedict XVI, A great Pope name
Raynor was a hack

Mike_Cirba

Guess they opted to do the conservative, transitional Pope thing by electing a 78 year old.

Lord knows the world could use a good leader.  Godspeed.

THuckaby2

Gotta love the name.  I was just telling my kids last night I was hoping for an "old-school" name like Benedict or Innocent or Pius...

;)

I didn't win any money.  Heck, one couldn't get good odds on Ratzinger anyway.

And yeah, I'm not exactly excited about the choice either.  But we shall see what transpires.

Mike Benham

Benedict XVI, A great Pope name

How cool is that to have your name followed by your handicap !!!

THuckaby2

That's right!

That's why he couldn't be JPIII.  He had to search and search for a name that had been used 15 times already.  Gotta love our rules.

;D

Mike Benham

Live (and free) video feeds on msnbc.com

Gracely out!

Slightly OT - you can't watch the MSNBC live feed running Mozilla Firefox ... they require IE to be your default browser ...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back