News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Assuming that the theology department has concluded their theoretical parodies, can I ask a reasonably germane question?

Let us say that the white smoke arose above Far Hills and our new leader was Pope Pius Egalitus - keeper of all things fair and public. Further, let us theorize that it was mandated that every "great" club would swing open their doors to a foursome a day of the lowly plebeians (aside from the Pizza Man - for those who were here during the Reformation).

Would the average public player - if relatively uninformed of the exclusivity and historical significance of what he is about to play - derive more enjoyment from Shinnecock Hills or Maidstone than Pelican Hill or one of the more glamorous CCFAD's?

Does this refugee from the local muni, upon walking off of NGLA, have an architectural epiphany and suddenly grasp what the fuss is all about? Or is he so out of his depth that expecting appreciation of complex strategic arrangements akin to asking a child to articulate the genius of Monet's Water Lilies vs. a well drawn cartoon character?

Is Joe Six Pack capable of ascertaining the difference between rough-around-the-edges Newport and pristine but soulless Cascata?

Gib

I think for me the more important question is does Joe Sixpack have to ascertain any difference?  Can't he just do and then say he has done it?  Essentially, that is what it amounts to for a good deal of guests of the great American courses. 

For the record, I don't think the greats are really much better than many other of the "lesser greats".  Reputation and history go a long way in these matters.  Always have, always will.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Anthony Gray

Don't most of the private clubs in the UK and IrelaND allow outside play?

Anthony

Gib_Papazian

Sean,

Then what is the point of mandating that Mr. Six Pack be provided access to these clubs? I'm aware there are those who run around the U.K. and Ireland at flank speed trying to obtain as many notches on their golf bags as possible, but on that side of the pond lending your daughter for the leisure and pleasure of rich visitors to subsidize your club coffers is commonplace.

If there is little difference between the great and "lesser great" - then it follows that we may as well send over the pretty redhead barmaid instead of Angie Everhart. If a very good BV vino is indistinguishable to the the uneducated pallet from a 2005 Silver Oak Cabernet, why pop the cork on Bingo Night?

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."  - Mathew 7:6

Pretty soon, there will be cigarette butts and stray Budweiser cans strewn all over the putting surfaces. Unrepaired ball marks, divots everywhere, lost Top-Flites in the rough like range balls . . . . . where does it end? How soon before there is a beverage cart at Merion?

T'is a slippery slope laddie. Father forgive them, for they know not what they do . . . . .  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:40:42 PM by Gib Papazian »

Sean_A

Sean,

Then what is the point of mandating that Mr. Six Pack be provided access to these clubs? I'm aware there are those who run around the U.K. and Ireland at flank speed trying to obtain as many notches on their golf bags as possible, but on that side of the pond lending your daughter for the leisure and pleasure of rich visitors to subsidize your club coffers is commonplace.

If there is little difference between the great and "lesser great" - then it follows that we may as well send over the pretty redhead barmaid instead of Angie Everhart. If a very good BV vino is indistinguishable to the the uneducated pallet from a 2005 Silver Oak Cabernet, why pop the cork on Bingo Night?

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."  - Mathew 7:6

Pretty soon, there will be cigarette butts and stray Budweiser cans strewn all over the putting surfaces. Unrepaired ball marks, divots everywhere, lost Top-Flites in the rough like range balls . . . . . where does it end? How soon before there is a beverage cart at Merion?

T'is a slippery slope laddie. Father forgive them, for they know not what they do . . . . .  

Gib

I don't think private clubs that don't want to open up should ever be mandated to do so.  While I would think it wonderful to play these gems (at a reasonable cost), it is far more important to me that people have the right to associate with whom they wish without government (God?) interference. 

The  Angie Everhart's of this world are a dime a dozen.  What makes her desirable is exposure by a media culture which is as twisted as its audience.  Up close and personal, she is only a person.  You have seen literally thousands of girls you wouldn't have kicked out of bed for eating crackers. 

I love wine like only few do and I constantly search for the next wine that will do when I won't pop the cork on my Chateau Margaux.  Only sometimes, and a bit more often than I would like, the CMs don't quite live up to expectations.  Is it because I have found enough excellent table wines to do me? Perhaps fine wine has been in a bit of funk in recent years? Maybe I am starting to view wine more as red juice to be drunk rather than talked about?  Its likely a combo of all three and more factors.  One thing is for certain, my CMs don't really bring me anymore pleasure than an excellent dao at 1/4 the price. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jonathan Cummings

You know I believe Mr. 6-pak would walk off NGLA not liking the place for the very reason the treehouse would like it.  Character often translates to complexity and subtlety.  I can imagine Mr. 6 would shaking his head and muttering post round, "there's just too much going on at this course."

JC

Mac Plumart

Jonathan, I think you are totally correct.

I haven't played NGLA yet, but I can speak to Mr. 6's take on golf courses...as I have only been playing a little while and really studying architecture for a much shorter period than that.

The first time I played a few top 100 courses, I walked off them saying EXACTLY what you just typed.  Not much going on there...I don't get the big deal about the course.  Why?  I didn't understand what a good course was all about.  I didn't understand the strategic game that is being played between the architect and the golfer.  

If a green was shell-backed and I hit a nice well-struck aerial approach shot that didn't hold the green, well that green was unfair.  Little did I know that the lower trajectory shot might have been better served for that type of green.

Also, being out of position off the tee was way beyond me.  If I hit the middle of the fairway, I  thought I was in good shape.  But when you play courses designed by the likes of Donald Ross and his peers, that may not be the best way to do it.  Remember Chris' B's post on the 12th at Pine Needles.

These types of subtle nuances make courses great to me.  And I think that they are so subtle that Mr. 6 will not get them.  Why do I believe that?  Because a year ago (or so), I didn't get them.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:20:34 AM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JMEvensky

You know I believe Mr. 6-pak would walk off NGLA not liking the place for the very reason the treehouse would like it.  Character often translates to complexity and subtlety.  I can imagine Mr. 6 would shaking his head and muttering post round, "there's just too much going on at this course."

JC

I think you underestimate the Joe Sixpacks of the world and you certainly overestimate the self-styled savants here.

JC Jones

JC

I think you underestimate the Joe Sixpacks of the world and you certainly overestimate the self-styled savants here.

It's probably somewhere in the middle.  For every person like my father-in-law who asks if Crystal Downs is so great, why don't they play a PGA tournament there there is someone on here who is as concerned about views of the water and really green grass.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back