News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Phillips

Aussie Golf Architecture - Issue 6
« on: January 03, 2003, 03:55:04 AM »
I have just received the latest issue of Golf Architecture from the Aussie Golf Architects Society and yet again they have produced a great magazine. The various subjects range from

Alex Russell
Review of Swinley Forest
Photo Essay
Economy in golf course construction - by our very own Jeff Mingay and Dave Axland
A good book review

...and much more.

Congratulations to Neil Crafter and Co. for producing such a professional magazine.  

I recommend all interested in GCA to order a copy now.

Online method is here:

www.ausgolf.com.au/ga

Brian Phillips
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Greg Ramsay

Re: Aussie Golf Architecture - Issue 6
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 05:03:18 AM »
Would just like to support Brian Phillips' comments on the Journal, it is a wonderful production.  Many really interesting contributions and terrific photographs to match the essays, both contemporary and some much older pics as well.  What amazes me is the depth of research into most of the essays, there is some very thought-provoking analysis and discussion about a whole range of issues.

I'm sure everyone on who enjoys this website would love it.

Greg Ramsay
www.barnbougledunes.com/new_site

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2003, 12:28:15 PM »
Ditto the above.  Just got mine and am only part of the way through (that damned Mr. Bahto and his "Evangilist of Golf" book is much too hard to put down), but this is a neat publicatin that should not be missed.  The article on SFGC and Alex Russell are particularly interesting.  Good work Neil!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 07:16:33 PM »
Ditto, Ditto.

I got mine today, and I'm looking forward to ordering #'s 7&8.
It's really a no brainer.  

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2003, 08:32:25 PM »
This magazine is a signficant contribution to the game, and only continues to get better with each annual issue. I'm flattered to have been a contributor to the last two issues, and look forward to contributing again in the future. Neil Crafter and Paul Mogford, and the Society of Australian Golf Course Architects as a whole, deserve a tremendous amount of appreciation for their efforts.

I'm only part way skimming through the new issue, but can say, highlights include:

*Tom MacWood's outstanding piece on CH Alison in Japan. I don't believe anything like this has been written before. (My hat's off to you To(great name!m.)

*An extraordinary piece on Alex Russell, with some commentary on Russell by Peter Thomson.

*A wonderful article by Geoff Shackelford, titled "The Art of Chunking."

*A photo essay by Joann Dost.

*And a neat review/interview of Tony Cashmore's new 13th Beach Golf Course (great name!) at Barwon Heads, Victoria.

Neal does a wonderful job with his book reviews too. And I'm looking very much forward to reading the profile on old-time Australian golf architect, "Cargie" Rymill, as well. Some early photos of his work at Kooyonga in the mag. are very impressive.

Again, Neil, Paul, and the SAGCA should be commended!

Cheers mates  :)

Neil Crafter

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2003, 03:24:14 AM »
:D Thanks gentlemen for those kind words. The magazine this year has been a very big baby to give birth to, at 80 pages it is by far our biggest ever issue (48 pages last time). A lot of authors and advertisers to liaise with and I'm relieved its over for another year. I know Greg you'd like to see it published twice a year but I don't think its feasible at the moment.

Good graphic design and nice photos can't do much if the content isn't there. We have been blessed by excellent articles by a wide range of contributors from Australia, the USA, Canada and England. If I have to single one person out for special mention it is Tom MacWood. He approached me with his idea about Alison in Japan and undertook a wonderful piece of research, eventually delivering an essay of such interest and length which I had great difficulty in reducing, eventually running it in full. Our magazine is a forum where articles like that can be aired and receive some of the recognition they deserve that the mainstream golf press could not consider in a million years.

I hope more GCA'ers take the time and effort to subscribe than we have currently on the books. The support of the true golf course design afficanados that frequent this site is critical I think to the longer term future of the magazine as a vehicle for the dissemination of quality writing on the topic. And its relatively cheap too! (The price next issue will definitely be higher)

Thanks again and enjoy your reading. As Brian kindly mentioned, you can subscribe on line at www.ausgolf.com.au/ga

cheers
Neil

Neil Crafter

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2003, 05:00:41 PM »
Hi
Forgive me for bringing this back up to the front, but it is in response to a query from JAHogan about interesting golf magazines. I hope ours falls into that not so large classification.
cheers
Neil Crafter

Tim Weiman

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2003, 05:37:15 PM »
Neil Crafter:

No need to apologize. We don't have anything like your publication here in the States. Our leading publications don't offer much when it comes to golf architecture. I'll never be able to understand why endless articles about curing the slice sell, but stuff about architecture doesn't.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2003, 06:22:50 PM »
You know, Tim, I was thinking the same thing.  Even considering the industry/trade mags, there's nothing close.  We may see an article or two in Golfdom or GW Superintendent News.  To me, articles like Tom MacWood's and Geoff Shackelford's would be a welcome sight in any of the major golf pubs.  

I ordered all the back copies, as well.  It's definitely grown "beefier" over the years.  Nice work, Neil!
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back