News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:Tom MacWood's George Arthur Crump: Portrait of a Legend...
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2005, 08:20:54 PM »
Tom MacWood said;

"...I've always wondered if the odd mound in the middle of the 18th green might have been a Travis idea."

Tom:

The concept of the hump on #18---often referrred to a "the pimple" was very apparently Crump's unique idea for a particularly temporary purpose and it's eventual disposition was apparently viewed the same way by those who knew Crump's ideas for PV best;

From Father Simon Carr;

!8th hole;
"He always intended to modify the hump on the green into a heavy roll reaching to the right hand rear corner to give the player who sliced onto the green a more difficult put (sic) than the player who plays straight to the center."

From W.P Smith;

18th hole
10/10/17: He will take out the hump on the green when he gets ready. He put it in to test if anything could be designed to penalize a sliced shot, the green being so large a bad slice might stay on it. He will put in a roll instead of a hump. The green needs character on account of its size."

The hump or "Pimple" was really radical but became sort of famous (or infmaous) until John Arthur Brown finally removed it. Brown too wrote a chronicle of Pine Valley and perhaps he saw these notations from Carr and Smith in the archives and how Crump felt the hump or "pimple" on #18 green was to be considered temporary and Crump intended to remove it himself.

T_MacWood

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2005, 10:17:56 PM »
TE
I've read the report from Carr and Smith, I don't believe there is any mention of any postive outside influence throughout that document. The only mention of Colt is his ill advised position for the second green. No mention of Tillinghast (or Travis).

Perhaps the hump was Crump's idea alone or perhaps a homage to Travis, I don't know. We do know Travis's humps at GCGC were quite famous and known to Crump (he had competed there), and we also know Travis advised Crump. Whitemarsh Valley also had a green that was a replica of the 12th at GCGC.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 10:32:15 PM by Tom MacWood »

SPDB

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2005, 11:27:15 PM »
Patrick - Rather than sully Tom MacWood's essay on one of New Jersey's best with off-topic colloquys concerning one the State's worst - I suggest we take this to instant message. Suffice it to say, however, that you are totally wrong both about the facts of Brennan's proven fraud, and about my characterization of those facts...as you shall see presently over IM.

Please, however, keep the group apprised of any future public relations engagements in representation of the Association of Legitimate New Jersey Businessmen. I believe a constituent is currently in need of service in Lower Manhattan.   ;D

Tom M. - I apologize for the threadjack. Again, well done on the essay, another superlative effort.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 11:28:14 PM by SPDB »

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2005, 05:13:51 AM »
"TE
I've read the report from Carr and Smith, I don't believe there is any mention of any postive outside influence throughout that document. The only mention of Colt is his ill advised position for the second green. No mention of Tillinghast (or Travis)."

Tom:

Wait a minute. That hole by hole document from both Simon Carr and William Poultney Smith that’s been referred to as “the remembrances” may not mention outside influences nor anything from Colt other than what you refer to as the ‘ill-advised position of the 2nd green’, and there may be no mention of Tillinghast or Travis in those remembrances from those two men, but we must look at that document for what it is, for the reason it was written, and what it means regarding the creation of PVGC and Crump and what was going on out there. After all these two men are by all accounts Crump’s two closest friends and the two who knew best what he was doing and thinking at any time with the course and what he wanted and intended to do with it in the future. Are you now saying we should minimize or discount their hole by hole “remembrances” because we don’t like what either says or doesn’t say about Colt or Tillinghast or Travis or anyone else?

Those remembrances were used as the basis on which the 1921 Advisory Committee made their decisions on how to complete the golf course and on how to make decisions on the very comprehensive hole by hole recommendation report by Hugh Alison for the 1921 Advisory Committee. That document was used so the club could best understand what George Crump would’ve done had he not died suddenly and left the total void in the club and with the completion of the course he did.

For some reason you seem to be haning on to some notion that the fact that Crump shot himself created some massive and sudden sea-change in the way the club looked at Crump and at that point decided to massively glorify what he'd done and to simultaneously minimize what anyone or everyone else had done. I don't think so. I think it was simply a recognition that he was gone suddenly, and that they needed to proceed as best they could by trying to understand what he wanted to do and would've continued to do if he hadn't died suddenly. I don't think that's a far-fetched interpretation at all and certainly does square with what-all had been written about him and the course as it slowly came together before he did die suddenly.

I don’t know if you actually have a copy of that document but Carr’s “remembrances” may’ve been compiled by him on a hole by hole basis following Crump’s untimely death but Smith’s are in the form of a chronicle or diary as we can see that his remarks on most every hole have a date on each. The dates on Smith’s hole by hole remarks begin May 9, 1915 and end October 10, 1917 (three months before Crump’s death). This is probably the best and closest thing to an ongoing chronicle or diary that exists of what went on out there with Crump, what he was doing, what he thought, what he intended to do on any hole as Crump himself never wrote down his own feelings and ideas for the golf course---ever.

Carr’s remembrances which are remarkably similar to Smith’s (despite the fact it’s been said they were asked to write them independently) as to what Crump really may’ve wanted to do were a good deal of the point I made last year about what really was going on out there following Colt’s departure and particularly following the article Carr wrote in Golf Illustrated three years before Crump died. That fairly comprehensive article by Carr in Golf Illustrated is what you and Paul Turner have pointed to as an accurate indication of what Colt’s contribution was. And now you’re saying that Carr’s “remembrances” mention no positive outside influence, nor Colt? That article by Carr in Golf Illustrated has always been part of the PVGC record and archive, obviously even before Crump died!

The entire point of those “remembrances” was so the club could better understand what Crump had been thinking and doing in those ensuing three years most every day on the golf course and particularly what he intended to do with the golf course had he lived. That document was obviously not intended to be some record of who did what three or four years earlier---again that magazine article and numerous others of them, particularly from Tillinghast and Phila. Inquirer reporter Evans was there as evidence of that time and that contribution. That document was intended to better understand how Crump felt about any particular part of the golf course in the ensuing years following 1913, 1914 and 1915, and what he would have done with any part of it beyond Jan 18, 1918, the day he died.

Please don’t tell me you are now implying that W.P. Smith, and particularly Father Simon Carr, the very man who wrote that Golf Illustrated article, had decided in the ensuing years to minimize Colt, or anyone else with that document that’s referred to as “the remembrances”? All they were doing was explaining in as much detail as they knew what he had done in those ensuing years on a hole by hole basis, what he felt about every hole and what had been done and what he intended to do. Please don’t tell me you’re tying to imply that even Smith and Carr and perhaps even Crump himself was attempting to minimize Colt or anyone else. If that is what you’re trying to imply I find that to be more than a little depressing, particularly following the interesting article you just wrote about Crump, the man, entitled “Portrait of a Legend”.

We cannot and should not try to fit or force this historical material into what our perceptions or preferences are today of those people back then even if it involves architects like Colt, Tillinghast and Travis, by constantly discounting what material says because we don’t like what it says or doesn’t say about them. We need to just let their words stand on their own.  

Those “remembrances” are the best contemporaneous accounts that exist by Crump’s two closest friends who knew him best, who knew the course best and who knew what he felt about it best, and who knew best what he intended to do with it. And as you can see they cover the years that are important too, primarily from 1915 on. What occurred before that, at least from Colt is well documented in that Golf Illustrated article, and by Carr himself. If Smith happened to mention that Crump felt that Colt’s idea on #2 green was ill-advised, I’m afraid we just need to accept that perhaps that’s the way Crump felt about it. If they mention that Crump wanted to change holes #9 and #11 considerably despite the fact those two holes are clearly Colt’s contribution, I’m afraid we just need to accept the fact that Crump felt that way! Do you think Carr intended to minimize what he’d written previously, that was already part of the record---eg that Golf Illustrated article in early 1915? I don’t. I think he and Smith only meant to explain what followed that and how things were constantly changing and evolving on the course because of Crump himself (a point I’ve been trying to make to you for a year or more now), and of course, most importantly for the club, what Crump intended to do and might have done had they not lost him so suddenly.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 05:37:09 AM by TEPaul »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2005, 05:22:12 AM »
Tom P,

Was Crump Catholic, ie having Fr Simon Carr as such a close friend?

TEPaul

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2005, 05:31:39 AM »
Mike:

A while ago I thought maybe he might've been, but, no he wasn't, apparently. I asked Tom MacWood about that too recently, particularly seeing as he's just done such comprehensive research on Crump the man, his family history and his history, and Tom said he wasn't Catholic, at least he didn't believe he was.

Carr, the Catholic priest, apparently was just his very close friend through golf (PV and tournament golf before PV).

Their friendship apparently didn't have anything to do with Catholicism or religion. At first I thought maybe a reasonable explanation for the virtual cover-up of Crump's suicide may've been that Crump was a devout Catholic and I think most understand it's a ultra, major, Super-Bowl NO-NO to kill yourself if you're a devout Catholic. Means you get automatically expelled from Catholicism and its burial and cemeteries or some such thing. I guess it means you just have to sort of float around for the rest of eternity which doesn't sound like an altogether bad thing to a broken down old ultra liberal agnostic from New York like me! There may actually be some neat golf course out there somewhere if you have to float around in space for eternity compared to getting planted in the ground in some cold Catholic cemetary and told everything will be OK because God knows you were a bad guy anyway and nevertheless forgives you. :)

Carr was a really good player and won the Philadelphia Amateur and the Patterson Cup. This administering to souls for the Catholic church apparently didn't take that much time back in those days.  ;)

And, after all, why would administereing to souls take Carr much time? These were men who told the truth, and wrote the truth. These were those so-called "gentlemen" from that former day we admire so much now. :)

These were good men who treated people fairly and kindly, except perhaps other architects who may've been seen to take some of the spot-light at PVGC from their boy George, particularly that little talented architect from England, Harry Shapland Colt! :) Well, no, that doesn't make any sense either, because if those fellows who basically all made up PVGC were anything they sure as shootin' were a bunch of anglophiles and very likely still are. No, Harry would not likely have been disrespected or minimized by them because he was a limmy. Matter of fact, they even hired his limmy partner three years after George died and probably at the very height of his glorification and for some damn reason Hugh in his voluminous hole by hole report didn't even mention Harry or Albert or Walter's, or anyone else's contributions to the golf course either!   ;)

No, they weren't minimizing anyone, in my opinion, they were merely writing what they knew and what was actually occurring down there at any particular time. On this subject of the creation of PVGC, the sooner we get over this Crump/Colt tension on here and the contention that PVGC tried to minimize him (which is simply not true, not back then anyway) and just look at the actual record that was left the sooner we'll come to find out exactly who did what and when and the correct and accurate story will finally be told.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 07:01:25 AM by TEPaul »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2005, 05:46:20 AM »
This administering to souls for the Catholic church apparently didn't take that much time back in those days.  ;)

Based on the line-up of lockers at Winged Foot today with Fr. XYZ on them, things seem to be status quo. :)

T_MacWood

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2005, 06:44:37 AM »
Mike
The Crump family was Episcopal, which I believe is related to Anglican.

TE
I don't look at that document as reference or documentation of who did what or who influenced whom. Its purpose was to relay Crump's future plans after his death.

That unique feature (the abrupt mound within the greeen) has its origins at GCGC, perhaps Crump came up with on his own or maybe he was influenced by Travis and GCGC or perhaps Travis was directly involved...its unclear IMO. Like I said he wouldn't have been the only one in Philadelphia to use Travis's original idea...Whitemarsh Valley reproduced the 12th green at GCGC as well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 06:48:45 AM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2005, 07:17:03 AM »
"TE
I don't look at that document as reference or documentation of who did what or who influenced whom. Its purpose was to relay Crump's future plans after his death."

Tom;

Precisely. So what would the need or purpose be for them to mention who exactly did what and when (which frankly had been mentioned 3 or so years previously) unless for some reason Crump himself who they all understood was the total editor of the golf course, certainly in those final years, had some problem with it?

If one looks carefully at those hole by hole remembrances of Carr and Smith it certainly appears that Crump felt he did have a problem with a number of things on the golf course that others may've suggested or even that he may've done himself.

The "pimple" on #18 was one, the left side of #1 was another, the artificial look of #5 green was another, the green-site placement of #6, the fact he wanted to turn #7 inot a double dogleg (probably Tillie's influence), the ridge on #8, the fact he wanted to extend #9 and turn it into a dog-leg left, and the fact he wanted to move the green on #11 way up on the hill on the left etc---and that's just he first 11 holes. The list of what he intended to do was not short---that's for sure----prompting Mayor Ott to say recently that if he'd been around he would've shot George himself so he would've kept his cotton-pickin' hands off the golf course!  ;)

But that prompted me to tell the Mayor that I might consider shooting him for saying such a thing since George took the course to most of what it is today so why in the hell would you want to stop him if he'd lived?  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2005, 07:25:43 AM »
"That unique feature (the abrupt mound within the greeen) has its origins at GCGC, perhaps Crump came up with on his own or maybe he was influenced by Travis and GCGC or perhaps Travis was directly involved...its unclear IMO. Like I said he wouldn't have been the only one in Philadelphia to use Travis's original idea...Whitemarsh Valley reproduced the 12th green at GCGC as well."

Tom:

Maybe it did have its origins at GCGC---anything's possible of course, but I'd prefer to go by what was actually written instead of just completely speculating about something that has no reference or attribution at all, and I don't see anything particularly unclear about Crump's reason for doing it and with what he intended it to be---which was a temporary feature, until he could turn the feature into what Smith explained in some detail was a long roll extending to the right rear of the enormous putting green. Smith even explained what Crump's reason in play for doing that was. How much more clarity can we ask for? I don't see any particular reason to assume that two of his closest friends who wrote their recollections apparently independent of each other on purpose would both have dreamed up something that specific and detailed. One could surely assume that Crump himself discussed it with them for them both to know and report it.

They did report where Crump got various archtiectural ideas such as the first hole (Hoylake) and the twelth hole (Myopia).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 07:30:17 AM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2005, 07:28:40 AM »
Tom MacWood,

There is no structural resemblence of the 18th green at Pine Valley with its center pimple and the 12th green at GCGC.

The two are as different as night and day.

One is a bowl within a larger bowl with a center, circular pimple meant to influence putting and approach.  The other a flat plane with high, artificially raised humps at the perimeter meant to be barriers to putting, approach and recovery alike.

I can't see # 18 at PV as being influenced in any way by # 12 at GCGC.

TEPaul

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2005, 07:36:39 AM »
Pat:

He didn't say Crump reproduced anything from the 12th green at GCGC at PVGC---he said Whitemarsh Valley did. That would be George Thomas.

Tom:

I didn't know that. What hole at Whitemarsh was a reproduction of the 12th at GCGC. What ever it was it's not there now and hasn't been as long as I've known the course. But let me know because if Pat is successful at getting GCGC to restore that original 12th green at GCGC, I'm going immediately over to Whitemarsh Valley and force the restoration of their GCGC 12th green reproduction down their throats whether they like it or not!  ;)

Again, speculating about where any architect may've come up with any idea is of course fun and interesting but if you're interested in actually chronicling the architectural history and evolution of any golf course and certainly recommending restoration of some sort just totally speculating about it decades later really won't do, in my opinion. One has to do a lot better than that---like some solid documentation of reference and attribution from those back then who really would've been in a position to know.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 07:43:22 AM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2005, 07:45:50 AM »
TEPaul,

That unique feature (the abrupt mound within the greeen) has its origins at GCGC, perhaps Crump came up with on his own or maybe he was influenced by Travis and GCGC or perhaps Travis was directly involved...its unclear IMO.
This is what Tom MacWood wrote.
Your reading compehension skills should not be tested in the morning.  I'd suggest having someone read for you until noon, when you can be released to read on your own.
[/color]

Like I said he wouldn't have been the only one in Philadelphia to use Travis's original idea...Whitemarsh Valley reproduced the 12th green at GCGC as well.

As I said, the 18th at PV is radically different then the 12th at GCGC.
[/color]

TEPaul

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2005, 07:50:01 AM »
"Mike
The Crump family was Episcopal, which I believe is related to Anglican."

Tom:

Tell me about it! I'm an Episcopalian---or at least they always tried to make me one. But that religion is for the birds now---they've had a massive denominational and directional schism because one faction chose not to throw one of the Episcopalian clergy out into eternal damnation because it appears he likes men better than women.

Now they're so desperate their trying to merge with Presbyterianism or some other damn thing. Next thing I know they'll probably be trying to work out a buy-out with IBM or something.

TEPaul

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2005, 08:08:07 AM »
"Tom MacWood,
There is no structural resemblence of the 18th green at Pine Valley with its center pimple and the 12th green at GCGC.
The two are as different as night and day."

Pat:

Maybe that is what he meant, but it looks to me like he said the reproduction of GCGC's 12th green was at Whitemarsh Valley, not the 18th at PVGC.

If he's saying the rolls on the original 12th green at GCGC are in any way at all similar to or the inspiration for that famous or infamous (and temporary) "Pimple" on the 18th green at PVGC that's just about as far-fetched as anything I've ever heard to date. That's about the same thing as saying that all fruits are cumquats or all growing things are indentical.

That "pimple" on PVGC's 18th was about three feet high with a base on it about ten feet wide. It was crazy! Even Mayor Ott who would like to shoot anyone who touches anything to do with that course says that feature was nuts and had to go.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 08:10:09 AM by TEPaul »

wsmorrison

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2005, 08:15:13 AM »
"Whitemarsh Valley also had a green that was a replica of the 12th at GCGC."

Tom MacWood,

When did Travis redo Garden City?  1916 or so?

Thomas designed Whitemarsh Valley in 1908.  Stop giving New Yawkers credit for things they stole from Philadelphia  ;)"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 08:17:44 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2005, 08:17:05 AM »
TEPaul,

I'm not so sure I agree with that.

The current green tends to be one dimensional, especially with approach shots, good and bad alike, that get funnelled to the center of the green, where increased green speeds have almost necesitated hole locations.

The restoration of the pimple, at the dimensions you referenced, would greatly enhance the hole with respect to approaching, recovering and putting.

We all intend to do many things in our lives.
But, time sometimes mutes those ideas.
And, perhaps, so it was with Crump.
Perhaps he liked that feature.  Perhaps its usefullness grew on him.  With respect to its removal, it would be interesting to see if any notes, memos or letters to the membership or others, by JAB,  indicating why the mound was being removed, exist.

TEPaul

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2005, 08:26:15 AM »
Personally, what I'd suggest for Pine Valley is to simply do all those things now which are clearly on record (in the archives) as things that George Crump wanted to do and intended to do had he lived.

My old friend Mayor Ott has stated to me a number of times (even if he is joking) that if he'd been around he would've shot Crump himself if he considered continuing to touch that golf course.

So there's only one reasonable and gentlemanly way to resolve this impass.

I propose that my old friend Mayor Ott and I meet at dawn at a date to be determined on the 9th fairway (which happens to be beside his house) and choose our weapons---whether they be swords or pistols and just have a good old fashioned duel to the death right there on the 9th fairway!

Whichever one of us survives must get his way with no more quibbing of any kind in the future from PVGC or anyone else.

Is there any other way to resolve this issue like gentlemen? I don't think so.

Of course I would ask him first if he'd mind if we try to kill each other near the left side of the present fairway because if I kill him I'd like a monument to go in where our duel to the death took place and if it was on the far left side of the present fairway that would leave room for the monument not to be on the fairway when I swing that entire hole right into a dog-leg left as George Crump both wanted and intended to do had he lived.

Of course in the unlikely event that Mayor Ott kills me first, well, then, I guess the golf course would be preserved as is for the rest of time with never the possibility that George Crump's wishes would ever be done en toto!

Here's a bit of architectural trivia. Did you know that the very cool mound/bunker complex on the right side of present #9 fairway was Harry Colt's interpretation of the "Principle's Nose" at TOC? Indeed it was and I have the documentation to prove it----and from Harry Shapland hisself!  ;)  I think the hole should swing right into a dog-leg left as Crump wished and that very cool "principle's nose and nostrel" interpretation on Colt's part should be right in the middle of the fairway of the "new/old" Crump/Colt hole. And that way at least the 9th hole would be the perfect collaborative agreement between those two great former-day PVGC architects!   ;)

Of course I'd be extremely sorry that my old friend Mayor Ott would have to die over something like this but this is important stuff we're talking about here!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 09:14:05 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2005, 09:25:59 AM »
Patick:

That post #70 of yours is just total bull-ticky and only goes to prove that you too simply try to force your opinion of things onto clubs and memberships without the slightest concern or respect for historical documentation. Just because you happen to like the idea of that "pimple" on the 18th green seems to suggest you don't give a single damn about a whole slew of really detailed contemporaneous documenation showing opinions totally to the contrary and very much including George Crump's own ideas and opinions.

You are even worse than the massively ego-driven committee people you seem so fond of complaining about. If you can't abide by and respect this kind of solid documentation of wishes and intentions of the original architect what in the hell can you abide by and respect?

;)

Furthermore, you don't have the slighest idea how that 18th green really plays---eg everything collects into the middle!! My ass, it does! If you basically hit an approach even a tad right of center that ball will invariable filter all the way to the right of that green if not just off it.

"TEPaul,
I'm not so sure I agree with that."

Why would that surprise me? I've never seen you agree with a single thing anyone on this website has ever said except to agree with what you've already said which as we all know is ever only about 2%  correct and shrinking every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are without question the single biggest source of misinformation in the entire history of golf course architecture---so much in fact that the best new way to discover the truth and accuracy of anything is to apply the theory of "contrary opinion" to every single thing you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 09:43:59 AM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2005, 12:03:03 AM »
TEPaul,
Patick:

That post #70 of yours is just total bull-ticky and only goes to prove that you too simply try to force your opinion of things onto clubs and memberships without the slightest concern or respect for historical documentation. Just because you happen to like the idea of that "pimple" on the 18th green seems to suggest you don't give a single damn about a whole slew of really detailed contemporaneous documenation showing opinions totally to the contrary and very much including George Crump's own ideas and opinions.
You're confused again.
I never made a post # 70.

But, let me see if I understand you.
Crump builds the 18th green with an internal hump.
A hump that was his idea from concept through construction.
A hump that was in existance for many years before that noted architect John Arthur Brown decided to remove it.
And because I like what Crump put into the ground, what he conceived, built and maintained, I"m accused of having no concern or respect for historical documentation ?  ?  ?

You've got it all wrong.
John Arthur Brown and/or the club had no concern or respect for historical documentation.
Crump himself thought of the idea and he felt so strongly about it, that it was such a good idea, that he built that green in accordance with his concept of having a hump at it's center.

So now to agree with Crump and what he actually built, is to have no concern or respect for historical documentation.
You must be kidding.

Now I know that John Ott is a personal friend of yours and I know that you've informed us as to John's opinion on that green.  But, that doesn't mean his opinion is the gospel.
Rather then get defensive, think about the merits of having that feature in that green, from the perspective of approach, recovery and putting, and then think of that green as it is today, and then, as Shakespeare said, "above all things, to thine own self be true", ask yourself, which green is a better green ?  You can't possibly think that the current green is superior in interfacing with approach, recovery or putts.
[/color]  

You are even worse than the massively ego-driven committee people you seem so fond of complaining about. If you can't abide by and respect this kind of solid documentation of wishes and intentions of the original architect what in the hell can you abide by and respect?

I'm abiding by Crump's design integrity, his ideas and efforts as manifested by what HE ACTUALLY BUILT when he designed and constructed the 18th green.
[/color]

Furthermore, you don't have the slighest idea how that 18th green really plays---eg everything collects into the middle!! My ass, it does! If you basically hit an approach even a tad right of center that ball will invariable filter all the way to the right of that green if not just off it.

You can take a nuance and claim it's the theme of the green, but the fact is, that green is a modified punchbowl, at the surrounds and in the interior.  It presents very little in the way of challenge to the approach, recovery or putt
[/color]

"TEPaul,
I'm not so sure I agree with that."

Why would that surprise me? I've never seen you agree with a single thing anyone on this website has ever said except to agree with what you've already said which as we all know is ever only about 2%  correct and shrinking every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a believer in the wisdom of consensus.
Perhaps you too feel that O.J wasn't guilty.
[/color]

You are without question the single biggest source of misinformation in the entire history of golf course architecture---so much in fact that the best new way to discover the truth and accuracy of anything is to apply the theory of "contrary opinion" to every single thing you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't hide from the FACT that CRUMP conceived, designed and built that green with a hump in it.
I just happen to agree with CRUMP and you don't.
[/color]

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 12:03:43 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

T_MacWood

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2005, 12:19:41 AM »
Pat
If you don't find a similarity in the unique mounds (three foot) within the greens at PV and GCGC...then we simply aren't on the same page.

Wayne
Travis began remodeling GCGC in 1906.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2005, 12:36:27 AM »
Tom MacWood,

I find no similarity in their structure, configuration, location or purpose.

The only thing they have in common is their convex nature.

What and where are the similarities ?

T_MacWood

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2005, 12:40:05 AM »
Pat
How many greens have have had internal three foot or greater mounds? Can you name any courses other than GCGC and PVGC?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2005, 12:54:06 AM »
Tom MacWood,
Pat
How many greens have have had internal three foot or greater mounds? Can you name any courses other than GCGC and PVGC?

I could start with Hidden Creek, Montclair, Somerset Hills, NGLA and others, but how is that germane to my question ?

Nothing about the mounds at # 12 at GCGC and the mound at # 18 at PV are similar, in form and function, other then their convex nature.

What I"m curious about is how TEPaul thinks that John Arthur Brown was the ultimate arbitor in deciding what features of Crump's should be destroyed and what features should be preserved, and his resistance to the concept of restoring that which Crump conceived, designed and built as the original 18th green.

I think a restoration of that green is as valid as a restoration of the 12th green at GCGC, don't you ?
[/color]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 12:54:32 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

T_MacWood

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2005, 12:58:50 AM »
"I could start with Hidden Creek, Montclair, Somerset Hills, NGLA and others, but how is that germane to my question ?"

Which holes at Somerset Hills and NGLA have internal three foot mounds similar to the mounds at the 12th at GCGC and the 18th at PV?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 12:59:38 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back