News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

...is posted under Architecture Timeline and In My Opinion.

Golf course architecture is forever in the debt of the man whose single mindedness of purpose brought the Pine Valley project to fruition and then held it together through the most difficult times and delays.

Yet, not much is known about George Arthur Crump, or at least not until now with Tom’s latest addition to the site that dwells as much on Crump the man as Crump the architect.

Fresh and original research makes Tom’s writing unlike any other. For instance, I had never seen Alan Wilson’s quote after Crump’s death of 'we who had advised so much and helped so little'. Tom’s finding of such a quote is central to the piece and it leaves no doubt as to who wore the immense burden of making Pine Valley a reality. No wonder Tom entitled the piece “George Arthur Crump: Portrait of a Legend.”

Hope you enjoy this much anticipated piece.

Cheers,

SPDB

Re:Tom MacWood's George Arthur Crump: Portrait of a Legend...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 06:42:21 PM »
Nice timing. A controversial piece that flies under the radar because of the Golf Digest tempest in a teapot.

Its a nice read, Tom. I greatly appreciate your research. Not trying to be controversial, just curious - do you have a copy of the coroner's report?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 06:44:50 PM by SPDB »

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 07:42:24 PM »
"Not trying to be controversial, just curious - do you have a copy of the coroner's report?"

SPDB:

He does indeed. He emailed me a copy of Crump's death certificate and he did die by a gunshot wound to the head--termed on his death certificate "suicide".

Wayne and I did ask Tom MacWood endlessly if he actually had proof of Crump's suicide and indeed eventually he did. I'm told by those who know about these things that these days you can order such a thing from the appropriate state entity but to my knowledge I doubt anyone ever has tried that before this.

The odd machinations at the Merchantville township level were bizarre to say the least and I think we've all definitely agreed to just leave that one alone.

I emailed Crump's DC to a friend at PVGC and so they're aware the long time rumor of his suicide is now no longer rumor.

I can't wait to read Tom's article and I'm glad to hear he decided that Crump logically should be considered with the respect PVGC and all his friends really did have for him and what he did for PVGC and the course.

His suicide is of course very sad. I hope his DC doesn't show up on here---but his suicide is most definitely a fact.

ian

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 08:04:12 PM »
Tom MacWood,

This is remarkable, I have always enjoyed your research and writings, but this is particularly well written and thought out.

I found this piece to be very moving. It was exhilerating to learn about the life of Crump through to the creation of Pine Valley, but at the same time the story is remarkable sad when faced with the eventual end. The constant quotations form each of the prominant people help paint out a good deal of the events of those years. We find the joy and enthusiasm in the earlier entries, and then face the immense sadness and regret in the euologies. I almost got the impression that everyone had moved on to other things and left Crump alone with such a large burden; and they knew it in hindsight.

Pine Valley is as close to architectural perfection as I have seen, did that perfection come at a very high price?

Great work Tom,

Ian Andrew

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 08:52:54 PM »
Ian,
Great words. You to Tom Paul--you are a class act first and last.

My thoughts to the article are much the same--George Crump gave at the office, and it ultimately we should revere this man for his passion and his efforts. I'm constatnly thinking of this verse:

I was a member of Pine Valley at the time of its construction. I watched George Crump build it. I grew up with it golfing knowledge. How we all loved George Crump who made this dream possible and how we all sorrowed when he left us! No matter where I live I will always hold my Pine Valley resident membership. --George C. Thomas

Great write-up Tom MacWood. One of your most thorough and solidly researched efforts to date.

May we all emulate Crump with the same passion and love for golf architecture, and may we all live long and prosperous lives while doing so.

Pine Valley is the proof of just how great golf architecture can really get.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 08:54:07 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 09:48:29 PM »
Tom Mac,

Thank you. Do you have any background on Simon Carr, specifically where he was a priest in Philadelphia?

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 10:17:36 PM »
Tom MacWood:

That is a truly wonderous article---I am very moved by it---nearing the end of it I could feel your compassion growing for your subject---George Crump!

Life surely can be strange---sometimes seemingly so near and yet so far, or even so far and yet so near. Of course your revelation of the circumstances of his death is a sad thing for the club because they really do glorify George Crump and I think you have provided good reason why they should do, even if they never fully understood some of the ironic reasons why.

I will be going down there for the day the day after tomorrow and I would be honored to take this article of yours and hand it to them, if you'd like me to. I believe it will become a treasured part of Pine Valley's remarkable history.

T_MacWood

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 10:55:00 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words. I have to thank Tommy, Geoff Shackelford, Paul Turner, Jim Finegan and TE Paul. I think it well known that TE and I have had our differences, which ironically lead me to write this essay, his admiration for it says something, I think, about both of us.  

Mike
I did look at Simon Carr's parishes...all eleven of them. Church of the Annunciation, Vistitation BVM, St. Patricks, St. John the Evangelist, St. Peters (Reading), St. Joachim's, Most Precious Blood, St. Veronica's, Our Lady of Holy Souls, and St. Joan of Arc. In 1924 he was named rector of Our Lady of Consolation (appropriately) where he remained pastor until September 1951.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 10:55:44 PM by Tom MacWood »

Steven_Biehl

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 10:58:31 PM »
Tom,

Another great piece Tom.  Fascinating research, and a wonderful read!  Thank you for sharing.

Steven
"He who creates a cricket ground is at best a good craftsman but the creator of a great hole is an artist.  We golfers can talk, and sometimes do talk considerable nonsense too, about our favourite holes for hours together." - Bernard Darwin, Golf

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 11:00:59 PM »
The poem at the end is particularly moving and a testament to the closeness felt by Crump's contemporaries.

A very effective literary device Tom, my compliments.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 02:23:40 AM »
Amazing read Tom.

Thank you.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Neil Regan

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 03:26:44 AM »
Tom,

It's a wonderful evocation of an age when great things were done. This will become a standard reference.

Thank you.
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Brian Phillips

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 04:29:41 AM »
Tom,

Thank you for a superb history lesson.  Confirms my thoughts about Colt even more so now.  I wonder how much Tillie also learnt from Colt?

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 07:21:27 AM »
Tom MacWood,

Great work, Tom. A wonderful read.

Thanks.
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

wsmorrison

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 07:22:04 AM »
Bravo, Tom!  A long, strange trip, but I'm glad you got us there.
Best,
Wayne

John Foley

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 07:27:26 AM »
Wow!!! That is impressive.

Great job Tom.
Integrity in the moment of choice

RE Blanks

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 02:09:31 PM »
Fantastic work.  

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 11:31:37 PM »
Tom,
Outstanding work. What a celebration of Crumps devotion to Pine Valley. For me it only validates everything that's been said about this man, and it also validates the role Crump and others played in making it such a singular design. I was touched by the Wilson comment regarding too much advice and not enough actual help...no wonder they were so sad at his sudden death.

I also enjoyed what you wrote at the end about Alison, since I feel he is the one who gets forgotten all too often in celebrating the final Pine Valley design. He really polished it and put it into another category architecturally. Again, it doesn't diminish what Crump and Colt did, and hopefully it won't be taken that way (because the documented evidence on the subject of Alison's contribution is very clear).

I also couldn't help thinking of the mention of heather and how the recent aerial shot in Golf Digest shows the course going very much in the direction of fewer colors, predominantly green and brown. Your comments on the trees were also interesting and reminded me of the incredible trouble that Crump et. al. went to to remove trees when that was no easy task. Makes me wonder what he'd say today.
Geoff

paul cowley

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 02:03:33 AM »
 Tom, Thank you for a wonderful read,

Paul
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 07:34:08 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Philip Gawith

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 03:32:34 AM »
Thank you Tom - a fascinating read. What a labour of love!

T_MacWood

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 06:40:11 AM »
Thanks again for the kind words.

Geoff
The other person who doesn't get enough credit is Howard Street. He really made sure the dream wouldn't die, and for whatever reason he has never been given his due.

Regarding what Crump would think today, I don't know. It was a massive effort to remove trees, with the stated goal of exposing that extraordinary site...including all the sand. It seems a shame to cover it up. If the model was the heathland, those courses (Sunningdale and Walton Heath) were for the most part open.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 08:15:15 AM »
Tom MacWood & Geoff Shackelford,

What struck me was the second paragraph of the essay.

If those esteemed gentlemen felt that way about Pine Valley, the Pine Valley they knew, why wouldn't Pine Valley want to restore the golf course to that period in time ?

Tom often uses the phrase, "the architectural high water mark"  Who amongst us would differ with the evaluation made by that group ?  If the individuals and collective of some of the greatest architectual minds in golf made those pronouncements, based on their personal examination of the golf course, why would anyone, subsequently, want to deviate from the presentation they encountered ?

It would seem like a clear endorsement to embark upon a more extensive tree clearing program.

BCrosby

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 11:01:16 AM »
Tom Mac -

Your piece is very moving. Crump will always remain something of a mystery, but we now know two things for certain.

He was a man who was loved. And a man who loved Pine Valley too much...

Pat -

Yes. I too hope PVGC will mark this news by bringing back the more open, expansive and generous course that Crump cared so much about.

Bob  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 11:49:22 AM by BCrosby »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 11:34:27 AM »
Tom MacWood;

Much congratulations and many thanks are due for a wonderful piece and for your incredible research.  

Yesterday, on my flight back from Augusta, we passed right over Pine Valley and today I come in and see the early aerial you posted.  

To say that what's on the ground today seems much overgrown by contrast is pretty self-evident, even with all of the clearing they've done in recent years.  

I also much prefer the raw bunkering seen in those photos compared to the "cleaned up" Fazioizaton of the bunkers seen clearly in the Golf Digest TOp 100 aerial overhead of "Hell's Half Acre".

Clean the trees, let the bunkers grow wild.   The opposite seems to be too often true nowadays.

Ken Fry

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 11:42:18 AM »
Tom,

Wonderful piece.  A labor of love to be sure.

What a sharp contrast to compare the process to produce what many believe is our country's finest golf course to the current business' methods of "return on investements."

Ken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back