News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Ron Whitten on Dye Preserve and Loxahatchee
« on: March 15, 2005, 11:43:20 AM »
Two of the premier courses in South Florida have been renovated by Dye and Nicklaus. Here is Ron Whitten's review:

www.golfdigest.com/courses/critic/index.ssf?/courses/critic/dyepreserve_loxahatchee.html
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 11:44:10 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt_Ward

Re:Ron Whitten on Dye Preserve and Loxahatchee
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 01:11:07 PM »
Steve:

If there was ever a course that stood out as one of the worst of its type it had to be Loxahatchee. The inane mounding provied plenty of fodder for anti-Nicklaus architectural buffs for quite some time.

I played the course one time and promised myself never to return. Whitten's comments clearly indicate Jack made a major mistake with their inclusion the first time around.

The layout does have some really good holes and with the elimination of them I'd be very curious to see what others think of the "new" Loxahatchee" since then.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 01:12:47 PM »
I played Dye Preserve last year and its a damn good golf course.  Its built in the trees, plays fairly long and is in excellent condition.

RE Blanks

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 01:19:01 PM »
I wonder what Ron Whitten shot at the Dye Preserve?  Bet he didn't have 10 on the first hole.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 01:20:10 PM »
The work that Pete Dye did in renovating Dye Preserve is excellent. The course it a real pleasure to play now, before it was goofy golf.

I always recommend that people who visit the area try to play that course.

I'm especially happy to hear Dye said "What was I thinking?"as he goes about redoing some of his previous work, most of which I like, but have too many hard edges.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 01:53:19 PM »
Dye said "What was I thinking?"as he goes about redoing some of his previous work...?

Love him or hate him, he gets full points for candor.

Wow.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 02:56:39 PM by BCrosby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back