News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Kauai
« on: March 14, 2005, 08:03:03 PM »
I am heading to Maui and Kauai in a couple of weeks.  I know where to play in Maui, but would like some input on Kauai.  I know about Princeville, but what would anyone recommend otherwise.

Evan_Green

Re:Kauai
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 08:11:10 PM »
Strongly recommend Kauai Lagoons (Kiele), dont recommend the 2nd course at Kauai Lagoons (starts with an "M" but dont remember what its called)

Other options: Poipu Bay, the other 27 hole course at Princeville (Makai) and the Wailua Muni
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 08:11:56 PM by Evan_Green »

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 08:49:41 PM »
The full deck:

Kiele - yes, the 2nd is Mokihana, not great but not shabby. I really like Kiele and the back 9 are view after view. Although the 16th is a bit of a questionable hole (tho its their signature) - been meaning to bring it up for discussion...

Wailua - municipal, on the waterfront, awesome and less than 40 w/cart - call 1 week in advance for rez, even singles. walkable.

Poipu Bay - where the 4 majors winnners play each Dec - not that memorable except 3-4 hole finish. About 125 altho i understand w/a local teen there's a deal with the Hawaiian PGA or something like that.

Puakea - this was 10 holes till Steve Case (AOL) bought it and make into 18 - some  very good holes. 65/after 1 i think, and great views. The greens are presently screwed up but the course is good. Good range facilities.

Kukuiolono - 9 holes, toward waimea canyon, 8 bucks - unreal views, walkable, greens blow but the views are (see prior)!! fun. Buy chicken feed for 50 cents and feed your friends. Actually a few decent holes. Old plantation managers' private course, now public.

Kiahuna - 18 was under renovation last year, near Poipu. Not sure of prices or status. Not in the top half of courses on the island but very close to Poipu area.

Princeville - 18 is 125. The other 27 are also available and 2 of the 3 have some against the water.

Other than that, no golf on Kauai  :D

You can only have fun. So have fun!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 09:45:43 PM »
I would play Princeville at least twice.  Local knowledge is important.  And it is that good.  The same holds true for Kiele and Poipu.  Skip Makai and Mokihana.  The top thrree are wonderful golf wiht spectacular views.  Try to play Prince early and at sundown.
Watch out for chickens.  They are the "state bird."
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 11:11:22 PM »
Sean:
My wife and I spent our 2 week honeymoon on Kauai and Maui in September 2003.  I didn't bring my clubs with me (like any new groom better do!) so that I wouldn't be tempted to play too much.  I rented clubs and played Poipu Bay on Kauai and Kapalua Plantation on Maui.  I enjoyed Poipu quite a bit, but I think it was more the mountains and ocean than the actual golf holes.  I'm glad I didn't skip it, but then again, I stayed at the resort.  I do regret missing Princeville though.  I stopped by when I was in the area and walked around a bit and it is everything you hear about it.  Didn't really look into any others but I believe Kauai Lagoons is right next to the runway at Lihue Airport.  It's right on the cliffs overlooking the ocean and you can practically make out the shirt logos on the golfers as you're landing.
In general, Kauai is great for peace and quiet, while Maui has more activity and tourist-type things to do.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 11:24:09 PM »
Prince and Kiele are the two best on the island by a decent amount over the rest, although little is known about Puakea.  Don's description above is the first I've heard outside of brochures, etc.  Kiele is known for it's ocean holes, but there are some very good inland holes, which was the pleasant surprise on my recent trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back