News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Taylor

Pinehurst #6?
« on: March 14, 2005, 07:55:35 PM »
As a 40th birthday present my wife is sending me and my best friend to Pinehurst in mid April. We have two rounds each at #2, #4, and #8 and one at #7.

I know that #6 just reopened after a renovation. Has anyone played it? Would it be worth swapping one of the #4 or #8 rounds for #6?

Thanks,

TimT

Brian_Gracely

Re:Pinehurst #6?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 08:04:53 PM »
Tim,

I haven't had a chance to play #6 yet (maybe Jim Lewis has), but you're already playing alot of Fazio golf.  For variety, I'd consider swapping a round on #8 for something else.  And #7 is nothing to write home about.  Can you get over to Pine Needles &/or Mid Pines instead?  

If it were me, I'd try and play as many rounds as possible on #2.  
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 10:24:22 PM by Brian_Gracely »

jim_lewis

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 08:34:24 PM »
I have not played the revised #6 but will probably do so in the next couple of weeks.  Based on comments I have heard, I would choose it over either #7 or #8, since I not a bid fan of either.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Bryan_Pennington

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 08:39:22 AM »
Tim,

I understand Brian and Jim opinions.  However, I would not change one thing if my wife set-up this great 40th treat.  Just enjoy the golf and celebrate your 40th at the Pine Crest.  You can always go back to Pinehurst another day to fill-in the courses you missed.

jim_lewis

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 09:23:04 AM »
Bryan:

You are a wise man, and I agree completely, especially the part about the Pine Crest.  I wear a cap with the Pine Crest logo (purchased at the front desk) every time I go over there, and it seems to improve the attention I get from the bartender.

Tim:  You are going to enjoy all of those courses. Your wife needs to know that she has given you the perfect gift and that it can not possibly be improved upon.  Besides, it will take a lot of improvement that I can not confirm for #6 to be much better than the other courses you are scheduled to play.

Jim
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 09:30:59 AM »
I posted this on another thread:

From thepilot.com

Fazio ‘Mulligan’: Grand Reopening Held For Pinehurst No. 6 Course
BY HOWARD WARD: Golf Writer

Tom Fazio knows how to make the most of a mulligan.

“I’ve been to Pinehurst so many times that when I come now, it’s almost like déjà vu all over again,” Fazio said Tuesday morning before the grand reopening of the No. 6 Course.

But it wasn’t always like that. When he and his uncle, George Fazio, were hired by Diamondhead Corp. to build No. 6 in 1976, the young course architect was ecstatic.

“I can still remember how excited we were to be building a course in Pinehurst,” he said, “and I can remember how proud I was to hear the bellmen at the hotel telling people how great the new No. 6 Course was.”

There was a lot of excitement about the new course. It was the first to be built at the resort since Ellis Maples had designed No. 5 in 1961.

But while the opportunity to put their names in the Pinehurst mix was a thrill for the Fazios, they were limited by a low budget and the fact that they were building a course to attract development.

“When they told us what they could pay us, it almost didn’t matter,” Fazio said. “We would almost have paid for it ourselves just to be a part of Pinehurst.

“There were some limitations as to how much dirt we could move because of the number of dollars we could spend. The idea was to create an opportunity for housing development, but this time we were free to do what was needed to accomplish what we wanted and it shows.

“It isn’t many times that you get a chance to go back and do something over.”

Fazio has obviously made the most of the “mulligan.” The latest version of No. 6, labeled by some as “The Renaissance,” is a classic course that will hold its own even in comparison with the other premium Pinehurst courses. Even the name has been changed to The Golf Club at No. 6.

It wasn’t that No. 6 was an embarrassment to the resort — far from it. But encroaching development had created property lines so close to the playing area that marginal shots could end up being out of bounds. Even some approach shots to greens could bounce into someone’s yard.

“At the time, the focus was on long, hard golf courses,” Fazio said, “and No. 6, at around 7,100 yards, had the reputation of being the toughest course at Pinehurst. It was used for a lot of qualifying events. Now that isn’t considered very long.”

There was no rerouting of holes during the nine-month renovation, but Fazio and his senior design associate Tom Marzolf were able to reposition some greens slightly and ease the penal aspects of the wayward shots. They handled the lack of length by changing the course from a par of 72 to 71, changing the 10th hole from a par-5 to a par-4.

“Both Pinehurst and the game of golf have changed dramatically since my Uncle George and I first opened this course in 1979,” Fazio said. “The changes reflect the traditions of Pinehurst in putting a premium on short game play.”

All 18 greens have been rebuilt to United States Golf Association guidelines and seeded with Penn G2 bentgrass. The Fazio-designed No. 8 Course was the first at Pinehurst to use high-tolerance G2 grass, and No. 6 completes the transition.

Some new bunkers have been added and others repositioned to improve visuals and also put an emphasis on proper positioning of shots. Bunkers on the second hole were moved 50 feet to the right for a wider landing area, and bunkers were added on holes 11, 12, 15 and 17, primarily around the greens.

A bunker on the fifth hole was removed and the entire right side of the hole converted to wiregrass.

Brad Kocher, senior vice president of grounds and golf course management at Pinehurst, headed the resort team’s renovation effort.

“Golfers should really enjoy the smooth, dense putting surfaces,” he said, “as well as the new sand and design improvements that will move No. 6 into a more well-balanced and challenging playing experience.”

The 18th hole probably has the most notable changes, with the tees being raised and shifted so golfers can see the entire hole, including the green. New bunkers were added on both sides of the fairway and the green complex was raised and redesigned.

“Sand plays a major role in framing a hole,” Fazio said. “To me, if a golfer can stand on the tee and see the hole, it’s a great feeling. It’s about playability and visibility.”

The No. 6 Course was the first at Pinehurst to be built outside the resort core and is located some five miles from the resort clubhouse.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back