News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Buczkowski

What are the GCA deal breakers for a new course?
« on: March 14, 2005, 02:22:39 PM »
I am constantly amazed at the comments thrown the way of new designs before they even open.  So please enlighten me - what are the deal breakers that ensures a course is panned before it even opens?  I want to join in on the fun.  For instance, I know waterfalls are an instant deal breaker, no matter how good the course turns out.  I just learned that over manicuring a resort course in a beautiful setting is another deal breaker.  And any new course being built in Florida with housing...unless C&C are doing it.

Are there any others I should know about...

JakaB

Re:What are the GCA deal breakers for a new course?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 02:24:54 PM »
It can't be credible if they charge $25 or less to play...

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 02:31:30 PM »
I was just reminded of another one: a 3-D model of the property in the clubhouse.

JakaB

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 03:03:54 PM »
I was just reminded of another one: a 3-D model of the property in the clubhouse.

I remember saying something about that course before we played it....and I remember my opinion was based on the 3-D model....but....it was not the model itself that pissed me off...and I will admit that the course presented itself better while playing...but I did play well..so..I will not come out against all 3-D models but I will take a firm stance against 3-D models that are for the primary purpose of selling real estate....oh btw....what was it I said anyway..

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 04:01:22 PM »
The only deal breaker I can think of is privacy.  Rif raf like me are persona non gratis.  Huh?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 05:36:16 PM »
Stone Eagle has a 3-D model of the property in the business office trailer.  And the GCA geeks are going to like that one.  So that's a definite deal breaker.

These days houses are a deal breaker for me.  Oooooo I'm getting picky!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 05:36:59 PM »
Certain architects are deal breakers

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 05:51:45 PM »
Pete,

Waterfalls?
Not necessarily bad, with the caveat that they are only concocted by Mother Nature!!

TK
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 05:52:29 PM by Tyler Kearns »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 10:10:49 PM »
Pete,
The location of the course in or near Myrtle Beach would be one for many here.  Disney may well be another.

Go Heels!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bill Gayne

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 10:36:16 PM »
I don't have any hard and fast deal breakers. I'm open to giving most any golf course a try at least once.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 08:47:04 AM »
Pete,

Waterfalls?
Not necessarily bad, with the caveat that they are only concocted by Mother Nature!!

TK

Agreed! The Princeville Prince course hole #13 comes directly to mind...awesome hole framed by a natural waterfall behind.  Does it get any better for that "feature style" of hole?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back