News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

grandwazo

Wynn Las Vegas
« on: March 14, 2005, 01:23:40 PM »
http://www.wynnlasvegas.com/

Only a couple of pictures here, but they have updated their website so you can finally get a look at a couple of holes, a brief interview with Fazio and course specifications

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Wynn Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 01:54:12 PM »
"11 of 18 holes encounter water."

"over 800,000 cubic yards of earth moved"  (for a flat site, not unusual, I guess)

"over 100,00 new shrubs"

"37 foot tall waterfall adjacent to 18 green."  (now, according to Trump, it's a great course)

Fazio comment in interview:  "...a golf course as good as any place in the world."

« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 01:57:35 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 01:56:07 PM »
The real question is...how far in advanced did Fazio need to coordinate his, Mr. Wynn and Mother Nature's schedule?  

JakaB

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 02:02:03 PM »
Don't ya wish the mob still ran Vegas...It might keep some of these comments to a minimum..Just my opinion, but isn't water a luxury in the desert.   I can't get into the site from this computer so could one of you internet carpet baggers go ahead and post them up...

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 02:12:58 PM »
John,

It's a Flash site, so no picture-nabbing can be done (that I know of).

EDIT:  I now know how.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 04:10:08 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 02:14:31 PM »
Why don't you fellows wait until you've played Wynn's new golf course before being critical of it.

If I'm not mistaken Shadow Creek is highly ranked, well regarded and getting praise from many people, including ...
Tom Doak.

Scott Burroughs,

Trump got his idea for waterfalls from the 17th at Shadow Creek.  Steve Wynn doesn't need his approval.

NAF,

Shadow Creeks bunkers were altered to look more like the bunkers Fazio did at Merion.

The bunkers in the photo don't resemble the ones at Shadow Creek.

I can't speak for you fellows, but, I'd like to play the golf course.   Then, I'll tell you what I think about it.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 02:55:07 PM »
Patrick,
Are you saying it could be "as good as any place in the world"?

It's the relative marketing that the some don't like, they can postulate an educated guess that it's not accurate.  I can see why.

separately...
Why no matter how expensive the marketing budget are there still pictures of balls, tees and gloves?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 02:59:51 PM »
I offered no criticism of the course, just Trump's architectural tastes.  I merely copied descriptions listed on the course web site here detailing some of the characteristics of the course, to help people get a feel for it.

I would also like to play this course and Shadow Creek, of which I've never criticized, either.

Sam Sikes

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 03:04:50 PM »
This might be a big step for Fazio ::) insofar as it is the only course I can think of that doesn't have a par of 72.  Am I way off here?  I just cant think of any.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 03:11:50 PM »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 03:13:24 PM »
Tommy,

I asked this on the other thread, but how do you do the vidcapping (let me guess, vidcap software)?  And how to you grab pics from a Flash site?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 03:13:38 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 03:14:56 PM »
Print screen.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »
Print screen.

Which one, or both?  It didn't seem to work for a Flash pic.

More details, please.  Offline is fine also.

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 04:06:08 PM »
Count me in as one who'd like to play this new course.  I was so underwhelmed by the old Desert Inn course.  The only attraction of the old layout was getting to say you played on a PGA course.  Certainly nothing much to save from an architecture standpoint.

The photos posted look like a big improvement.  I just hope we aren't left with the feeling that it was a "missed opportunity" to create a masterpiece from a blank slate.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 04:11:46 PM »
Thanks to our esteemed friend from the north, I now know how to get Flash pics.  Sweet!

Here's the waterfall at Wynn LV:

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 04:24:24 PM »
Here are aerials of the course, which I've known about for some time:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 04:24:45 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

guesst

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 04:38:45 PM »
I live in Boulder City.  I would love to see this course.  If any of you esteemed gentlemen from the treehouse are coming to play, and wouldn't mind a barefoot redhead in a dress tagging along to admire, I promise to comport myself with as much dignity as I can muster, and to keep MHO to myself as much as possible.  

Shivas, you may not be a sycophant, but I am . . . ;D

While you are here, I'll drive you out to play the new Boulder Creek course in Boulder City.  Even the Armenian gives it high praise (It's not complete puke).  And you can see Cascata from here . . .
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 05:28:31 PM by Darva D. Campbell »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 05:31:03 PM »
Based on what was done at Shadow Creek, I would expect this to be an excellent course.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

guesst

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 05:55:54 PM »
The pictures are pretty mouth-watering.  The hotels in the background are in contrast to Shadow (which is out in the middle of nowhere).  I can't load the website on this slow slow modem hook-up.  Does anyone know the address?  :-*

Evan_Green

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 08:23:29 PM »
Anyone have any idea of the green fee here?

Is it going to be another $500 ala Shadow Creek?

The 2 pictures look pretty nice to me

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 08:40:10 PM »
Patrick,
Are you saying it could be "as good as any place in the world"?
I don't know.  I'll have to play it before I can comment on it.
[/color]

It's the relative marketing that the some don't like, they can postulate an educated guess that it's not accurate.  I can see why.

Don't take this personally, but, that's a croc.
Did anyone on this site say it was shameless marketing when Donald Ross made his declaration at the opening of Aronomink ?  Is it any different from Fazio's statement ?
Let's not take Fazio to task for the same thing Ross did.
[/color]

separately...
Why no matter how expensive the marketing budget are there still pictures of balls, tees and gloves?

What difference does it make ?
[/color]

Redanman,

Almost every club publishes their dress code in their membership book.  Wynn's facility is open to the public.
Why do you take him to task for educating those golfers who will play his course, when he's just doing the same thing that every other club does ?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 09:49:50 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Paul Richards

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 08:54:19 PM »
It's a shame that they had to 'blow up' the course that was already there on that property.  It was actually a lot of fun to play!

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jfaspen

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 09:56:30 AM »
Something interesting I saw was that to be a caddie at the course, you need to be able to break 80.  You will be subject to 2 random playing tests throughout the year to make sure you reach this requirement.

Do any other clubs require their caddie to be single digit handicappers and then test that requirement?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 11:01:23 AM »
Jeffrey,

Where did you see the stuff on the caddie requirements?  I
didn't see anything, and their empolyment link was not
working.  It's also interesting, considering the golf section on
the web site says that they will only be forecaddies.  
Forecaddies who need to be ace players?  Good luck finding
them all year long.  The local HS players might not be
available much of the time.

I did see the layout of the hotel portion, and you can see
that there will be golf villas along an edge of the course:

JakaB

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2005, 11:16:39 AM »
Scott,

With the growing popularity of Texas Hold'em there is no shortage of single digit handicappers chasing bad beats in Vegas....I was just playing with one the other day and recommended he go out to my club to caddie for supplemental funds.  Hold'em has a mysterious appeal to the good golfer...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back