News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Naming of multi-course layouts
« on: March 14, 2005, 02:06:44 AM »
Gerry B's response on Merion started me thinking about how best to enable courses at multiple-venue clubs to retain their own identity.  At Merion, I gather that the west uses the wicker baskets as 'flags' whilst the east (did I get it right) is a shorter course and retains 'flags'.  There have been a lot of west/east combinations throughout the world as well as north/south.

Many courses have used the 'Old' and 'New', although how a course such as Walton Heath with construction dates of 1904 (old) and 1906 (new) (did I get this right?) can claim a century old course as new is intriguing.  

At St Andrews, the Old/New is combined with Eden/Jubilee etc.  At Gleneagles, the King's/Queens's/Princes seems to work well.  At Pinehurst, it must be like an old telephone exchange, with Pinehurst #1, Pinehurst #2 etc etc.  At Doral, the colours are used but Blue dominates.

More recently, the St Andrews Beach golfing venue near melbourne has 2 courses underway with names of their own.  Gunnamatta and Fingal.  So, perhaps they will retain more of their own identity than as 'St Andrews Beach #1 and St Andrews Beach #2'.

What examples are you aware of to promote the interest in each course at multiple site venues so that one course does not dominate easily over another, and to ensure that each course is recognised for its own character?
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Naming of multi-course layouts
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 05:52:08 AM »
3rd Course at Gleneagles is now called PGA Centenary Course.

Best differentiation between two very different courses at one centre is Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin and Bracken Courses.

There's also a big difference between Royal Troon Old and Portland courses, in character and style, though both are links.

Perhaps you could include the Glasgow Golf Club, one club with two very different sites - Killermont, a parkland course in Glasgow and Gailes, a links course 20 miles away.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 09:13:39 AM »
Colors... Bethpage, anyone?

Trees... Maple, Oak, Pine, et al.

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 09:21:14 AM »
Since this is a GCA website, how about just the designer label?  When I was young and foolish I played "The Jones" and "The Faz" at Hilton Head and thought it was cool.  Why not just "The Kidd" and "The Doak" and "The Coore & Crenshaw" at Bandon?

Of course, this might lead to having to rename Pine Valley "The Crump & Colt & Wilson & Tillinghast & Fazio & Cetera".............

SPDB

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 09:39:32 AM »
Rich -

Peter Cetera had a designing role at Pine Valley? Here I thought that his only post-Chicago work of note was the theme song from Karate Kid.  ;D

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 09:40:05 AM »
Pumpkin Ridge originally called their two courses East and West, but before they opened some marketing genius decided to use the Pumpkin theme and Halloween and they became Ghost Creek and Witch Hollow.  I always liked the simpler East and West, but I was just a member so I didn't get a vote.  Most members just call them Ghost and Witch.

Unfortunately to many marketing types feel the need to come up with cutesy names for courses.  At least Pumpkin Ridge was there long before the facility.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 09:49:18 AM »
Baltusrol Upper & Lower

Whisper Rock Upper& Lower

Saucon Valley Old, Grace & Weyhill

Palmetto Dunes in Hilton Head- Fazio, Jones and Hills
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dave Kemp

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 10:50:57 AM »
There is a group of 3 courses here in Southern Ontario.  The original course is called the Heathlands which the architect describes as an inland links course.  The 2 newer courses are called Hoot and Toot.  :D

I thought I had read somewhere the origin of these names but I can no longer remember.  Maybe Ian Andrew can help out.

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 11:51:42 AM »
Olympic has The Lake and The Ocean along with the Cliffs.  

The Cliffs is the most accurately named as there is no lake on the Olympic Club property and one could make the argument that The Lake is closer to the ocean then The Ocean (first green) and The Ocean is closer to a lake (Lake Merced - 8th green) then The Lake.

Ps:  The original name had Lakeside in it I believe ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

rjsimper

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 12:50:11 PM »
I just keep wondering what Desert Mountain will come up with next -

I'll have an order of Cochise, please!

JakaB

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 12:58:16 PM »
Norwood Hills has the East and West...I used to call them long and short because I could never remember which was which until I figured out the one furthest from the Arch is the West...for the compass challenged the Arch is a very usefull tool...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 12:59:09 PM by John B. Kavanaugh »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 01:00:08 PM »
In Fredericksburg, Virginia at Cannon Ridge Golf Club the first  course they built was designed by Deane Beman and it was appropriately named the "Beman Course." The second course currently under construction designed by Bobby Weed is to be named the "Weed Course."

http://www.cannonridge.com/weed_course.html

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 01:00:58 PM »
La Quinta: Citrus in a citrus grove, Dunes in the dunes, and Mountain in the mountains.

Kiawah: What's a Cassique?

Landmark: Skins North and Skins South (but it's not yet called "Landmark Skins Golf Club"!)

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 01:04:41 PM »
 DuPont- obvious
 Nemours-the "de" of DuPont
 Montchanin-the "house" I think
 Louviers-- Help Scott?

AKA Mayday

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 01:04:58 PM »
After they built the second course at Keith Hills (Campbell University), they were calling them the River and Lake course (I think it was the Lake).  Anyways, I don't think anyone could remember which was which, so they've since gone back to Keith Hills I and Keith Hills II.

I've heard rumors that Pinehurst is going to migrate to Fazio 1-7, and then "Pinehurst #2 by the old guy in all the pictures and statues".  

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 01:11:27 PM »
I think I mentioned once before that the initial letters of the Courses in St Andrews spell B JONES.
(Balgove, Jubilee, Old, New, Eden and Strathtyrum).
Given that David Kidd's 7th is on site now, what is this Groups feelings on the name?
I'm voting for something beginning with 'T' (for 'Tyre') maybe Tayview or Tentsmuir Head or summat.
Or is it time to start on another name??? Maybe G PLAYER??? Aye, Right!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 01:13:48 PM »
FBD,

Wouldn't Tennents Golf Links fit the bill for a "T" ?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 01:57:29 PM »
FBD,

Wouldn't Tennents Golf Links fit the bill for a "T" ?

Harhar!

How about:

"TEPaul's Testament"

The "Tom Huckaby 'Experience'"

The "Tom MacWood 'Tribute'"

"Topp's Topping Topper".

"Tepper Point"

Running low on T's now....who have I missed???

FBD.

EDIT: Omigod! - Nacarrato-Sama!!!! Profuse Apologies!!!!
Oh, and "Turner's Turn".
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 02:00:54 PM by Martin Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 02:09:42 PM »

Kiawah: What's a Cassique?

Cassique is the title given to the wise man/medicine man of the Kiawah Indian tribe that once inhabited our nice little island... :D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 02:18:26 PM »
Martin and Brian,

Coincidence?  I think not!

Mike
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 02:23:09 PM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

peter_p

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 02:25:10 PM »
The Reserve Vineyards courses were first named the Fought and the Cupp. Since, they have changed to North and South.
Why? Too many people asked why they were named Fought and Cupp, or couldn't figure out which was which when making reservations. Ownership figured the name change would solve things. It didn't.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 02:30:16 PM »
Any relation to William Tennent?

He founded Princeton U. and my high school is named after him...

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 02:36:26 PM »
The most confused I ever was about something like this was in doing research on the Lakewood course at Point Clear, Alabama.  They have two courses called Magnolia and Dogwood, but the original 18 hole course is split between the two current courses with the addition of 36 holes.  Every time I talk to them I have to decipher how that individual refers to the original holes.  It has been called the Old, Maxwell, Traditional and a couple of other names by the pros and staff from what I gathered.  So even within the course staff you may have problems with naming multiple courses.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 03:30:55 PM »
They should have names.  Numbers and colors are too impersonal.  Stuff like East and West or North and South are fine, but what happens if you later add a third course that's further East than the East course?
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 03:50:50 PM »
I like the names at Fiddlesticks in Fort Myers (unless they have changed).  Wee Friendly and Long Mean.  Unfortunately. they toughened up the Friendly so it is not so friendly anymore.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back