News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lloyd_Cole

Miami Golf
« on: March 13, 2005, 10:40:27 PM »
I may be taking my son (to visit his good friend who has recently relocated) to Miami sometime in the next few months.
I may actually have a lot of time to play golf!!  Since my ill fated Doral visit, 12 or so years ago, I never expected to return. So I hadn't really looked to see what might be there. I will beg and crawl to see if I can get back on Indian Creek. Other than that I have 0 ideas.
Any suggestion for grumpy UK golfer who won't ride cart. Not necessarily looking to increase my GCA IQ, but fun cheap golf would be a bonus.

jeffwarne

Re:Miami Golf
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 10:42:58 PM »
Miami Springs-if they haven't "renovated it"
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom McGurk

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 07:33:30 AM »
Crandon Park, on Key Biscayne, is worth a look.  It's a fun layout with the added benefits of being fairly cheap, in pretty good shape, and walkable.  

frank_D

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 08:56:58 AM »
brother Lloyd_Cole

where are you staying ? (no sense sending you around town if you are near an available course - miami is quite spread out OR some resorts include golf as a package which may come out cheaper)

when are you comming ? (much is seasonal here and starting june through august the rates are lowest - but it may be very hot and humid)

also is your son and friend to be considered players ?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 08:57:34 AM by frank_D »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 10:54:03 AM »
Frank
I'm not sure when I'm coming. I'm just starting to figure it out. My son is not a golfer, neither are his friends. I've no idea where they live, but I guess in the Brazilian area if there is one, as that is where they are from. I was planning on getting cheapest possible decent hotel and renta car so I can shuttle son - he may stay with the family, I won't. I would think I'd have some flexibility with hotel location, so if you have suggestions, I'm all ears. How late in the year is it too hot to walk??

frank_D

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 02:23:43 PM »
...I guess in the Brazilian area...... How late in the year is it too hot to walk??

brother Lloyd_Cole

narrow it down to a zip code - all of miami is hispanic and potentially brazilian

i walk all year round but i can tell you over 80 degrees and 75% humidity is quite an ordeal if your not used to it and i don't mean just being in shape - the heat index gets severe especially during july and august

james soper

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 11:29:32 AM »
l cole, head over to the biltmore in coral gables (10 minutes south from downtown miami). wonderful donald ross course that allows walking. in fact, it is a fantastic walking course with tee boxes adjacent to the greens.the junior orange bowl championship is played here every year.
(for all you lc fans, the drink girl has 'perfect skin')

frank_D

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 01:12:09 PM »
......the biltmore in coral gables ... it is a fantastic walking course .....the drink girl has 'perfect skin'

...........the pool may be the largest in the SE.......the bartenders have Ph D's in martini making........... there is a complete wine cellar on the 7th floor........best SUN brunch in miami.......can get a fresh cigar hand rolled while you wait.........al capone suite and robber baron dining room available for a great gatsby style stay........complete spa...friendly and welcoming staff........did someone mention the 1921 donald ross VERY WALKABLE course ........and an executive course as well ?

and the building a military veteran of WWII with a role as a hospital !

my favorite resort course

james soper

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 03:42:50 PM »
frank d, your right on the mark.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 11:29:22 PM »
Coral Gables it is!! It turns out my son's friend lives in Richmond Heights which looks close on the map.. That sounds perfect, thanks gentlemen. It doesn't look too expensive, either. Maybe we can stay there.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 06:57:36 AM by Lloyd_Cole »

james soper

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 10:44:29 AM »
lloyd, the biltmore is only 15-20 minutes north of richmond heights. golf fees are reduced after two. send me a message or e-mail if you need any particulars.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back