News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SPDB

Your Favorite Raynor/MacD/Banks Course (Excl. NGLA)
« on: March 13, 2005, 06:58:54 PM »
This may have been done in the past, but I'm curious what your favorite non-NGLA Raynor/MacD/Banks course is? This is by way of a poll, so please try to pick one.

And for purposes of this thread, the Mucci principle of needing to play the entire catalog of their courses, each at least 10-20 times in every conceivable type of weather condition, is hereby suspended and may not be introduced into the discussion.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 07:01:00 PM by SPDB »

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Your Favorite Raynor/MacD/Banks Course (Excl. NGLA)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 07:18:57 PM »
SPDB,
Of the few I've seen, Fishers Island. As a matter of opinion, it was the unanimous choice, over several worthy competitors, of Paul Perella, Pat Aldrich, Scott Warner and myself as the "one course you would choose to play for the rest of your life". We decided this over a couple of beers on the front porch of Paul's home course, Olde Kinderhook, which wouldn't be an unlikely choice for "OCYWCTPFTROYL inland category"
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 07:31:08 PM »
Although I'm dying to play Fishers Island my vote would go with Camargo the routing and par 3's are tremendous. I love how the holes just flow with the land.

Lawrence

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 08:30:32 PM »
Top 10 played:

1. NGLA
2. Fishers
3. Shinnecock
4. Yale
5. The Creek
6. Mid-Ocean
7. Mountain Lake
9. MPCC
9. Whipporrwill
10. Forsgate
11. Southampton since my # 3 pick was an obvious dig at the Flynners here at GCA, and I have never played Westhampton.  :)

I would be shocked if all reports on Camargo and Piping Rock are incorrect, so I would expect them to bump the above. Not so sure about Lookout Mountain, Chicago and Yeamans, though they sound like great places.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 08:31:13 PM »
I grew up at Piping Rock but I think I'd pick the Creek.

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 08:32:18 PM »
I've only played Shoreacres, but if there other courses arre like that one, I hope I get to play them as well!
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 08:35:16 PM »
I've only played Forsgate, but definately enjoyed it and would go back.

Yale is a course I am going to make the effort to play this summer.

Joe Andriole

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 09:17:39 PM »
I agree with TEPaul

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 09:33:21 PM »
"3. Shinnecock "

Mike,

I had no idea you were that old.  I mean the Macdonald/Raynor version was essentially lost in 1930-1931 so that makes you around 95 years old  ;D

We'll have to do a good job in the book to explain the evolutionary history at Shinnecock (and Brookline, Kittansett, etc) so you'll be a believer.

Top100Guru

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 10:12:14 PM »
I personally like Mid-Ocean.........minus the over abundance of trees and the "availability of play" by "some of the local hotels guests" but I guess local politics are what they are.....

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 10:43:12 PM »
Mike Sweeney:

I put very few restrictions on my question, and you failed to comply with any of them. Fishers then.

So far we have

Fishers - 2
Creek - 2
Mid Ocean - 1
Forsgate - 1
Shoreacres - 1 (default)
Camargo - 1 (default)

jim_lewis

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 10:52:39 PM »
I put both Fishers Island and Chicago GC AHEAD of NGLA.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 11:02:04 PM »
I'm hoping to play Chicago, Shoreacres,and The Creek Club this year, and Yale, Carargo, and CC Fairfield are all exceptional, but it's hard to imagine that any of Raynor's courses could be any better than Fishers.  

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 11:37:04 PM »
Among Whippoorwill, Yeamans Hall, Yale, MPCC (Dunes), and Shoreacres.....Yale, easily.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 11:57:16 PM »
CC of Fairfield    There may be some greater layouts, but the 4th through 10th is my favorite stretch of holes in Met NY.  I love 8-14 at the Creek, but tend to imagine how 12 would play with the back left edge of the 11th green being a 12th tournament tee.  Also, the weak holes at Fairfield are a little stronger than the weak holes at the Creek--this is fine hair splitting.  Piping Rock needs to be played many times--it grows on you--I have Fairfield ahead because of the 4-10 holes and the the LI Sound and Southport harbor views.  Piping Rock has no weak holes and quite a few great holes

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 02:28:09 AM »
Fisher's
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 03:37:12 AM »
Having never played any of these courses, I would have to select Camargo and Yeaman's Hall.  They both have great names.  What are their origins?  Shinnecock and Chicago would be the next grouping.  Of course, the club logo would have to be taken into account.

Ciao

Sean

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Evan_Green

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 03:38:33 AM »
Camargo and Yeamans (but havent seen Fishers)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 03:38:55 AM by Evan_Green »

ForkaB

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 04:13:27 AM »
Cypress Point.

We all know that MacKenzie stole Raynor's plans. ;)

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 07:38:01 AM »
Mike Sweeney:

I put very few restrictions on my question, and you failed to comply with any of them. Fishers then.

Come on Sean, you are now being trained by The Jesuits in logic and free thinking at BC Law. Let's see you put it to work and figure out your need based on my answer. If we wanted rote Catechism here at GCA we could have sent you to Notre Dame with Mucci ! :) By the way, I might put up a NCAA thread later on, so keep that moderator hat on!

Gene Greco

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 08:05:55 AM »
Fisher's Island
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

JDoyle

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 08:29:50 AM »
CC of Fairfield

PThomas

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 08:33:18 AM »
oops,I forgot I played Mid-OCean during my honeymoon! :-[

further proof of how love can muddle clear thinking....
197 played, only 3 to go!!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 08:34:23 AM »
Sean:

Fisher's has a great club logo 8)

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 08:35:20 AM »
Paul:

I played Mid Ocean during my honeymoon too, best 4 hours of the trip ;D, oooppps, 2nd best ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 08:35:50 AM by cary lichtenstein »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back