News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Summerell

When Did Hazards Become Hazards?
« on: March 13, 2005, 06:00:40 AM »
When was the first instance of a hazard being staked (or named) a hazard, & a penalty offered to the player?

In looking at the tee shot on the 2nd at North Berwick, it made me wonder when it was first staked. I am sure there must have been a time when the only option was to play the ball as it lay.

When (and where) was the penalty option for hazards first brought into play?

Andrew

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:When Did Hazards Become Hazards?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 06:26:45 AM »
Andrew,
The second that some shepard decided to take on some sailors in a game of strokes, while walking from the shore and into town. You could never pin-point that exact place or moment, but I like to think of the Pilmour Links as the spot it originallly happened at.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 07:26:15 AM »
AndrewS:

Actually, that is an amazingly interesting and complex question and subject.

Most on this website---that generally deals with golf architecture---may not realize what a basic influence that very thing may've ultimately had on golf architecture.

To best answer a question like that one has to go way back and study how the Rules of Golf evolved. I've tried to pin that down some, not with all hazards but with the "sand hazard" (bunker).

One needs to understand that before the turn or the 18th century the rules of golf were not centralized as they later became under the R&A, so there were various sets of rules and definitions that were different---generally from club to club.

But through all that there always were two fundamental rules that everything emanated from that Richard Tufts explained well in his little book "The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf". They were;

1. You put a ball (and "a" ball meant one ball) in play at the tee and you do not touch it until you removed it from the hole.
2. You play the course as you find it.

Obviously the fundamental that you do not touch your ball became something that various questions and procedures needed to address when your ball got into trouble and you could not very easily play it and could not very well proceed. That's when things like hazards became defined and how to proceed from them.

With sand hazards there was a time you could touch the sand as long as you didn't improve your lie. But who was to decide if one's lie was "improved" if he touched the sand, for instance? Amazingly the player was the one who decided that and in the beginnings of golf that worked because the "spirit" in golf was that a gofer did nothing that would take advantage of his opponent in any way through the operation of the rules. (The idea was that you wanted to beat the best your opponent could throw at you without you taking advantage against him of the operation of the rules of golf).

I suppose at some point that beautiful "spirit" began to wane and the rule that a golfer couldn't even touch the sand in a sand hazard was instituted to remove even the question of impropriety!

And at that point, at least with hazards, real definition of where they were and weren't began to come into golf and if one thinks about it eventually that had real implications on architecture itself.

According to a golf philosopher such as Max Behr, at that point golf and architecture became divided into places that were good and places that were evil. The fairgreen (fairway) became good and the hazard features became evil in sort of a moralistic way. And, according to Behr, what better way to make the fairgreen "more good" than to make hazard features "more evil". If you hit a shot to the fairway it was good and if you hit one to a hazard it was bad and the golfer should feel he must pay some pennance. Behr's articles and explanations on hazards and the philosophy of "penalty" was in a way one of a "glass half full/glass half empty" one when it came to how a golfer perceived hazard and the idea of penalty!

And the definitions and distinctions between the two (fairway and hazards) became more precise as time went on.

If one ever wonders why it would be so difficult to build a golf course without sand bunkering today one of the fundamental things to look at is how much the Rules of Golf now deal with sand bunkering. Rules and procedures for how to deal with them are all over the Rules of Golf and certainly the Decisions of Golf. If a course did not have sand bunkering a golfer might feel that something was lacking in a rules context at this point.

It didn't used to be that way. Once upon a time in golf there never were these distinctions and defined areas---wherever a golfer's ball was a basic rule prevaled that he played his ball from where it went and he didn't touch it without giving up the hole.

If you want to understand how hazards came into golf and how the golfer's perception of them evolved look to the evolution of the rules of golf---because that's where it all emanated from.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 08:13:39 AM »
Andrew,
As Tom stated, the rules of golf ultimately defined the word hazard.  But in the early days of golf it was a "concept" and not a defined term.  There were no "hazards", only "hazardous" situations.  Play could get suspended because golfers didn't know what to do in these situations so rules were developed to explain how to proceed with play.  

It's a very interesting subject that you could write a book about  ;)  

Hazards are the essence of golf and without them the game would not exist.  
Mark
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 08:14:13 AM by Mark_Fine »

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 08:39:12 AM »
"Hazards are the essence of golf and without them the game would not exist."

Mark:

Although, at this point it would seem that's so I do not for one minute believe that must be the case to make it, as you say, the essence of golf or essential! At least not in the way the rules of golf now define things as "hazards". That very fact very well may even inspire in some small way the wave of the future in architecture and in golf. I recognize that to any architect the "hazard" feature, particularly the sand bunker feature is his best expression to create strategy and to create his own style. But it is not too much of a stretch to begin to imagine if an architect did not use that hazard feature in golf architecture what he'd have to do to make a golf course as interesting!

"The medium of the artist is paint, and he becomes its master, but the medium of the golf architect is the surface of the earth over which the forces of Nature alone are master"
Max Behr

That fundamental dictate says nothing about hazard features having to be essential in architecture or golf, unless one just wants to call the basic hazard dimension, height--a defined hazard which of course it certainly doesn't have to be!  ;)

And then of course there're other tools such as length and width. slope and angle.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 08:42:14 AM by TEPaul »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 08:44:34 AM »
Tom,
I'm not talking about just sand hazards.  You explain to me how an interesting game of golf would be played without any kind of hazards?  I'm all ears!

Hazards (both formal and non-formal) are what makes golf the game it is!  
Mark

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 08:47:39 AM »
Mark:

I think I just did. Read my last two paragraphs and let your mind begin to imagine the possibilities. Is there anything about those things described there that would need to be defined as a "hazard" within the rules of golf?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 09:45:24 AM »
Tom,
On paper it sounds good but how about in practice.  Name a course or two that is pretty good that doesn't rely on hazards of some kind to make it interesting?
Mark

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 12:30:05 PM »
Mark:

Royal Ashdown Forest.  Unfortunately, there is a stream which counts as a hazard [and one of the best holes happens to be on the stream], but other than that there is nothing which constitutes a "hazard" according to the Rules of Golf ... just contour and vegetation [heather and ferns and trees].

I know you're including "non-formal" hazards in your statement and Tom is not, in his.

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 02:15:19 PM »
Mark:

I guess you didn't actually read what I said very carefully. I said that idea just could be something really interesting for the future of architecture even if in a limited way. The "hazard dimension of height", slope, length and width and angle all of which could be used cleverly in various arrangements without the use of being defined as hazards. Just use your imagination!

"I know you're including "non-formal" hazards in your statement and Tom is not, in his."

Just for your reference I'm including in my definiton of "hazard" all those things that are defined in the Rules of Golf as hazards, and that includes every sand bunker in the world, amongst a number of other things. Technically rough is basically considered a hazard feature in golf architecture although it isn't considered so in the Rules of Golf. And a bunker does not actually have to have sand in it to be considered a bunker and a hazard within the definition of bunker or hazard in the Rules of Golf.

There's another interesting little course in Isleboro Maine, Tarrantine G.C (14 holes) that may be an old Findlay that has no bunkers or hazards per se, but it has all kinds of topography that serves as such. The course had one bunker on it originally but at some point that bunker was obsoleted. It's still there actually with just grass, no sand. That little course is really wonderful to play---so different!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 02:28:09 PM by TEPaul »

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 06:27:02 PM »
A Riverland course at Waikerie on the River Murray has no hazards.  Its set on undulating ground with sandy soil.  All of the greens were constructed at the one time perhaps 15 years ago or so (converted from sand scrapes).  No bunkers, no water hazards but terrific challenges from the natural undulations, mounds and hollows.  Firm and fast greens with a significantly different terrain on each green.  Beacuse the greens were all built at the one time, they play so well, although be aware of the different slopes on each green.

Its maintained by a couple of staff, plus some volunteers from the local community.  Its a favourite annual tournament visit for a number of the better players in Adelaide.

Re TEPauls' half-full/half-empty glass, we all know the optomist (half-full) and pessimist (half-empty) view.  But htere is also tha salesman's view (its currently half empty, but with a good next quarter it will then be full) and the accountant's view (my favourite, the glass is twice as big as it needed to be). :)
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 06:34:09 PM »
Andrew,
This(  http://www.ruleshistory.com ) is an informative site. Just hit "Hazards" in the "Topics" box and you'll come up with the timelines you asked for.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark_Fine

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 06:47:32 PM »
Tom Doak,
I've played Royal Ashdown Forest and I think you would agree, that course is loaded with "hazards".  They might not be sand bunkers because they are not allowed (they don't even have a practice bunker on site), but you sure don't want to be in that heather.  It is hazardous!  We'd call the heather a "non-formal" hazard.  Trees would be called the same as would mounds and hollows and rough.  Though they might not be a "formal" hazard as defined in the rules of golf, they are features that help dictate strategy and add interest to the game of golf.  

Undulations are the same.  Take a fairway like #8 at Crystal Downs.  That faiway is one of my favorites and it is "hazardous" and I'm not talking about bunkers.  The stances and lies you get are wild.  

Short grass is another good example of a non-formal hazard that is one of my favorites.  

All these features are types of hazards by our definition and make the game of golf what it is.  A hole without any distinctive feature or dangers or preferred lines of play due varying levels of difficulty would be pretty dull.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 06:48:08 PM by Mark_Fine »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 10:33:15 PM »
I think this thread is questioning the year in which hazards were formally written into the rules of golf to allow for a stroke and distance alternative to playing the ball as it lies...with hazard stakes and all the trimmings of a USGA "hazard". When was that, exactly?
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 04:48:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys. They have all been interesting.

Forrest is correct though. I'm interested as to when the golfer was given options by the rules when in a hazard.

Thank you Jim, for guiding me to the rules history site. It has answered my question perfectly.

As far as 'formal' or 'non-formal' hazards debate. Non-formal hazards can be anything that make scoring more difficult, and they can be different things to different people. The wind is a great example of a non-formal hazard.

paul cowley

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 06:56:59 AM »
 I struggle at times with this one...at least today I think we should ;

Get rid of all the stakes except OB.
 Let one ground ones clubs anywhere.
 Let the rules for OB, lost ball or unplayable lie be all that generally govern play.

...now casual water, thats a tough one ...I say throw that out too [but leave GUR in].
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back