News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

NAF

If this was built thru Fishers Island
« on: March 11, 2005, 04:39:41 PM »
I wonder what would have happen if Robert Moses would have got this built?  Just wonder what would have happened to FI and Raynor's gem. Imagine if Moses was responsible for ruining the course plus Bayside!  What got me wondering is talking to some people about how LI was trapped post 9-11 about getting on to the mainland without going thru NYC.  They have no outlet.  Some people still wonder if a chunnel or bridgeto Connecticut will ever be built.   Then with the golf in Connecticut thread and wondering why FI is not part of Connecticut I researched this.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 04:44:46 PM by NAF »

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:If this was built thru Fishers Island
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 05:27:07 PM »
What did we lose with Englewood and Fresh Meadow?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 06:05:18 PM »
Mark,

With Englewood, not much other then a cast of characters from the entertainment and enforcement business.

NAF,

The Whitestone, Throgs and Triboro can get you to the Bronx and then to Connecticut.

A bridge between RI and the North Fork would probably have resulted in tremendous growth and development, ruining the charm and rural atmosphere of the North Fork.  

Evan_Green

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 10:25:14 PM »
What was the date of this proposal in this drawing?

hick

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 12:41:14 AM »
Never wood survive Noreasters, come to Block Island in the winter? It blows 30mph on a nice day. I did not know there was that much charm left on Long Island.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 06:04:30 AM »
It's something to understand just what a visionary and master planner Robert Moses really was, and on top of that to realize what an "irresistable force" he was politically too. His ideas for the NY metropolitan area such as that bridge are something to ponder. As powerful as he may've been behind the scenes there were some powerful people (an "immovable object") who in the end stopped some of his visions such as a highway over the top of Brooklyn Heights and obviously that bridge. Why and how did they do it? Probably because basically they felt some of his ideas would have destroyed what they felt was the serenity of their "worlds" and in the end they had the power to protect those things.

Pat makes a good point about how those things really work. Ever wonder why the road from Southampton to Easthampton (Rte 27) is still a two land road, despite being almost constantly jam-packed? Some commercial interests have wanted to make that stretch a highway for years now but those powerful people who want to protect the serenity of their little "worlds" out there will never let that happen! They put up with that constant traffic jam because they understand if it's alleviated by a highway far more people will be "put-upon" them and their super wealthy communities and they will never let that happen.

AndyI

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 09:43:18 AM »
There have been a number of ideas for Long Island to Connecticut bridges or tunnels floated over the years, and the topic still comes up from time to time.  A good reference is here, which I assume is where the map images came from:

http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/unbuilt/

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 03:19:10 PM »
One solution for eastern Long Island can be found at This link

Just push the button and follow the directions.

SPDB

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 04:24:12 PM »
John - While I agree with your goals, I'd rather vaporize the south fork, that way the only redeeming qualities of the South Fork are preserved.

It is almost impossible to overstate the negative effect that Robert Moses had and continues to have on NYC and the surrounding areas. The loss of a couple of golf courses in LI, while tragic, pales in comparison the destruction he wrought in NYC. His singleminded obsession with the vehicle is as amazing, as it was misguided, particularly when you consider that he never learn to drive.

A bridge to Rhode Island is just one among many Robert Moses projects that thankfully was never built.    

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back