News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Cape Kidnappers and Barnbougle Dunes may have grabbed all of the attention so far, but the third course of Tom Doak's Australsian adventure, the Gunnamatta Course at The Golf Club St Andrews Beach, is certainly going to surprise people when it officially opens around November.

Finally, the Mornington Peninsula, which has some pretty stunning golf land but no truly world class courses despite a flurry of activity in the past decade or so, will have a course worthy of the land.

It has been open for limited play for around 10 weeks now, and is coming along beautifully.

It's a spectacular and fun course to play,quite short by modern standards at around 6060 metres, but that's because it 'only' has two par fives, as well as four sublime short par fours, two of them less than 280 metres.  

It has generally wide fairways, protected mostly by some beautifully crafted bunkering, and smallish greens, some full of contour, others more subtle but no less tricky to putt.

I guess you could classify it as an old-fashioned course - a bunkerless hole, front-to-back sloping greens, some blind drives, and possibly second shots too, depending on your location in the fairway, and plenty of room around the greens to bounce the ball in.  A deft short game is definitely required.  Which is why I've managed to secure the services of Craig Parry as club pro.  The club don't know this yet, indeed Parry himself doesn't know, but I'm sure once I let him out of the trunk and remove the blindfold,  he'll realise what the story is.

1st Hole - 497 metres - A fairly mundane opening to the round...

1st Hole - Fairway bunker

1st Hole - Green and Approach

2nd Hole - 297 Metres - Possibly the best short par four in Oz

2nd Hole - Clearly, being short or short left is not an option...

2nd Hole - ... nor for that matter, is long or long/left...

3rd Hole - 405 Metres - After a fairly straightforward left-to-right teeshot around the base of a sand dune, this wonderful second awaits

3rd Hole - The wonderful ampitheatre green from the right

6th Hole - 167 Metres -

9th Hole - 339 Metres, second of two consecutive short par fours, to one of the best greens in the country

9th Hole - Green from the right greenside bunkers

10th Hole - 384 Metres - A wonderful left-to-right dogleg down tumbling terrain...

10th Hole - ... then this second to a small knob green harder to find than Donald Rumsfeld's heart

10th Hole - The green from behind

11th Hole - 147 Metres - Probably the most undulating, and narrow, of the par three greens.

11th Hole - From the side

13th Hole - 452 Metres - Par Four - yes, that's correct.  As if that wasn't enough, it's a blind drive over a hollow, up and over a ridge to a dramatically tumbling fairway, to a miniscule green.  If I had a girlfriend who wore a bikini that small, I'd be strutting around like a donkey with two donger's.

The approach

13th Hole - Bunkers short of the green

13th Hole - Green from behind

I'll post the rest tomorrow.  
If you want me too.

Matthew Mollica

Re:Some B&W Pics of Tom Doak's Gunnamatta Course at St Andrews Beach
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 06:20:29 AM »
Sensational pics Mark.

Can't wait to see the rest.
Can't wait to see the course in person.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 06:49:17 AM »
Thanks, Matt.

Of course, they might have been a little better if I hadn't managed to overdevelop the negs a tad. I was sweating that I would get anything decent at all, for a while.

And this digital stuff?  I'm surprised I managed to get Photoshop open, let alone this post posted.  Many, many thanks to George Pazin for his most excellent post here a few weeks back on how to post photos.

The others are of 14,15,16,17 and 18 - wish I could have got the rest of the front nine, but I couldn't figure out how to take a shot - they are fairly 'plain' at the moment.

peter_p

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 04:39:21 PM »
Mark,
   Simply superb snaps. The setting's sublimity sertainly subscribes to scenes sans standard shots.
   Now I'll have to take another camera with B&W fiilm. Why did You decide to not use colour?

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 04:40:16 PM »
Wow.

After Parry gets over the initial anger at being kidnapped, I think he'll be downright tickled pink to be on board.

Your photos are outstanding. Did you shoot them in black & white, or did you simply convert them in Photoshop? Either way, well done.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 06:34:36 PM »
Mark Ferguson,

I enjoyed the photos, but have to ask, why weren't they posted in color, just as we'll see them in real life ?

Is Black & White meant to subliminally or consciously appeal to the GCA.comer or "Classic/Golden Age" lover ?

Is it disengenuous to exclusively release black & whites ?

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 06:56:15 PM »
Peter, George, Patrick:

Well, I am a bit of a black and white fan.

Mainly, it was because much of the paddock grass the course was routed through was being burnt/slashed/sprayed off and replanted with native grasses and other indigenuous vegetation, so the course had a rather 'gothic' air to it I felt suited black and white a little more.

It was pretty much just fairway grass, greens or bunkers - not a lot of texture and variety of colour with other plants.  I did shoot a few in colour as well, but didn't like them.  The course is a bit better now, so I may start to do a little more colour - if only because it will be interesting to watch the course change as further work is completed.

Patrick:

"Is Black and White meant to subliminally or consciously appeal to the GCA.comer or 'Classic/GoldenAge' lover?"

Of course.  In fact, I expressly designed them to appeal to TE Paul, since I am desperate to play PV, Cypress, Shinnecock, Merion, Oakmont etc,  and I know he can get me on them.  ;D

It is a little disingeuous to exclusively release B&W, but it was summer over here when I took them, and the light is a little bit harsher.  I prefer Winter of late Autumn light for colour, so hopefully I can get some colour in a few weeks.

George Pazin:

Who said anything about kidnapping?!?  It's merely a 'relocation malfunction'.

They were shot in B&W, on various films, since B&W film is quite difficult to get hold of, especially the Kodak I like to use.  I then scanned them and did a bit of digital darkroom work in Photoshop - my first effort at using it, since I ran away from the computer room at Uni.  

Thanks for your excellent post of a couple months back - you really made it simple to post photos.  

Danny Goss

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 07:38:52 PM »
Mark,

These look fantastic. It seems that it has come on really well since I was last there.
The idea of a "fun to play" course really appeals.
I can see you are going to have to organise a GCA day down there soon.  :)

Mark_F

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 08:10:27 PM »
Matt Ward:

Fear not, I am not one to hold back my thoughts because I may upset others... ;) Unless it's my mother's cooking, of course.

Yes, I would see both courses being pretty equal, although I haven't seen all of the land the Fingal course will be constructed upon. But from the half or so I have seen, yes.  In fact, the best hole on the entire property could well be the Fingal 16th, a do-or-die short par four that leaps across ridge to ridge. The others I've seen looked pretty impressive just in the dirt. I remember thinking as I wandered the 6th, which rolls across some dramatically tumbling land, that it may well be one of the best holes in Australia right now as is.

I guess there is probably some truth to saying there may be a little pressure on Tom and team to 'live up' to the Gunnamatta course, and then possibly criticism if it doesn't match up - but they are over two different pieces of land, so they will be fairly different courses. Some will undoubtedly prefer one over the other, but then we do in most instances in life where we have a choice, and not always for rational reasons.

Who would you pick to design the Fingal, though?  None of the Australian designers have lived up to the promise of the land on the Peninsula, although I believe Norman's Moonah course at The National is quite good.  Maybe someone who has played it can fill us in.  However, I have never met anyone who thinks it is a world-class course, and make no mistake, the Gunnamatta course is, and the Fingal will be.  

The Fingal land is much choppier, and the layout tends to run a little more across the hills, as opposed to along or through the valleys the Gunnamatta course occupies, so it will have its own identity, although there will obviously be some similarity in bunkering and design ethos.  But don't Bandon Trails and Pacific Dunes share similar design ethos?  Obviously different land, but surely there are some familiarities, although clearly with individual traits.

Reactions?  I think they will be a mixed bag, actually.  The Gunnamatta course is spectacular, with drives from high tees, and second shots to 3,9,10 and 13 in particular, that are terrific.  But it is also a very subtle and deceptive course, and maybe some people will 'miss' that, and think holes like 5, which has a blind or semi-blind second shot over a bunkered ridge to a small, subtle, front-to-back sloping green, are okay, but strange, or nothing special, whereas I really like it - it's a super 'sleeper'-type hole.

Maybe they will dismiss it because there are a lot of drives from high tees,so it's 'one dimensional', and the holes are predominantly shaped from left-to-right, so therefore it won't score many points on 'design balance', either.

Maybe people won't like that there are four short par fours - five, really, if you count the 377 metre 7th, which runs at least a couple of clubs downhill, so that also means there' s three short fours in a row, too.

I think there will be a smidgeon of criticism about the par threes, too. Melbourne is blessed with any number of world class par threes, and I can imagine people thinking the set here are perhaps a little similar, and not quite what they should be, given the land.  The 6th is spectacular, and great, the 16th fine and tough, the 11th has the best green, and the 4th is a tough 197 metres and seemingly always into a 2 club wind.  They work well as a set, but are, again, subtle and tricky. It may just be because par threes, particularly , rely on the natural setting, and aside from the 6th, there needs to be a lot of vegetation work done to enhance the holes.  The 4th, particularly, will really 'pick up' in this area, and I guess that is the bottom line.  It will take a few years for all the native vegetation being planted to grow in.  At the momet, the site is a little raw, despite being in terrific condition for one so young.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 08:35:11 PM by Mark Ferguson »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 08:14:28 PM »
Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean Walsh

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 08:48:38 PM »
Interesting your thoughts on the par 3's Mark.

In a recent conversation with a local author I made a similar muted criticism of Barnbougle's par 3's.

As you have said of the gunnamatta I believe that there are better around.  i.e I would say Barwon Heads may have a better set of threes than BBD.  

Also the Par 3's suffer in comparison to the drama and scope of the par 4's and 5's present at the same course.  Other than the  7th at BBD I would say that even though they are not anywhere close to bad holes the other par 3's didn't grab me in the same way as the rest of the course.

Now a question for our american brethren.  Relating to Tom Doak's work in the states is this theme, that Mark and I (I think at this point we agree, albeit on different courses) seem to be following, a pattern through his work.  Is his Par 4 and 5 work generally better than the Par 3's?

Sorry to hijack the thread Mark.. If you want I'll move the question to another thread..

Thanks for the pics and even more for the considered discussion..

Michael Moore

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 09:15:05 PM »
Why is it that when people on this site want to promote a modern day golf course they post pictures of it in Black & White, and when they want to denegrate a golf course they always post in full color

The plot thickens . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 11:15:17 PM »
Wonderful photographs, they certainly depict an erie feeling to the windswept bunkers, wonderfully artistic..thanks for sharing........

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 12:27:52 AM »
they are stunning Mark!
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Mark_F

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 01:17:53 AM »
Michael Moore:

Methinks you need to go off and make another documentary.  I explained my reasons above, and it sure isn't because I want to 'promote' the course.   :)

Sean Walsh:

I can hardly complain of hijacking, when I am guilty of kidnapping myself.

I hope we get some good replies.

I do think you summed it up nicely.  The 6th at Gunnamatta is terrific, and whilst there is nothing bad about the rest - they are in fact quite good and VERY testing - they do not have the brilliance of the other holes, and there is a touch of sameness about them, I feel.  

Michael Wharton-Palmer:

The bunkers really are terrific.  It was Brian Slawnik, I think, from Renaissance who shaped most (all?) of them.  They really do look like they simply eroded. Fantastic.

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005, 03:55:22 PM »
Mark -

I love the b&w photos. I suspect it is due more to your skill with the photographs, but I don't know that I've seen many other photos that show contour as well as yours.

My wish list for 2006 was simply Barnbougle - now I might have to rethink that.

My recollection is that a composite course is planned for tournament play. If so, will the holes be split fairly evenly between the two courses, or will one course dominate?

What is Australia's position on squatter's rights? :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 03:56:01 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark_F

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2005, 01:09:10 AM »
George:

Thanks.

You would miss something, I think, if you came down here 'just' for Barnbougle and missed St Andrews Beach, as well as a couple other courses. I am biased, of course, but it really is a super place to play - great fun, as well as subtly testing - it doesn't beat you over the head, but some of the holes, in particular the short fours and the par threes, you have be 'centimetre perfect' if you hope to match par, for some of the pin positions. Some really nice members, too, which is just as important.

There will be a composite course, yes.  Nine holes from each, so no one course will dominate, but, because of the nature of the property, four or five of the best holes on the Gunnamatta course - 6,8,9,10,18 - will miss out.

The Fingal is only 'in the dirt' at this stage, and I haven;t seen all of it, but at least three of them - 3,4 and 16, will be super, so nothing will be lost.

Don't quite know what you mean about squatter's rights, but you're welcome any time.

Ash Towe

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2005, 01:35:15 AM »
Mark,
Fantastic photos.  Black and white certainley adds to the drama.  You mentioned the Fingal course was only in the dirt stage.  How long is it expected before it is ready for play.
Thanks Ash

Mark_F

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005, 01:48:03 AM »
Ash,

They start construction in May, with Tom Doak and Brian Slawnik booked for September, I think.  

Hopefully it will be open for limited play this time next year - they want to have it planted by Christmas, and thus get a full growing season.

Hope that helps.

Player_Aus

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 01:45:38 AM »
More pics please....

Matt_Ward

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 12:33:56 PM »
Mark F:

I pulled my initial questions to you because I believed it would be unfair of me to ask you to describe the caliber / nature of the second 18 before it's even opened.

I have always taken the point of view that until a course is opened is it possible for people to adequately comment. I didn not want to put you or others on the spot.

There are no other motives for me in this regard and I would trust my explanation covers my feelings sufficiently.

I am posting this to set the record straight.

P.S. I do appreciate the detail reply you provided. I am also looking forward to my trip "down under" sometime early next year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back