News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

astroturf on TOC?
« on: March 09, 2005, 09:34:05 AM »
that astroturf picture on another thread reminded me of this:  is one still required to hit from portable pieces of the stuff on TOC during the winter?

haven't been there yet, and as badly as I want to play there, I don't think I could bring myself to do that
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Robert Kimball

Re:astroturf on TOC?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 09:43:53 AM »
If memory serves me, I believe they required portable mats in the months before the 2000 Open. Obviously to save the turf from "duffer diviots."

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 09:56:24 AM »
Paul,

Fairway mats in use at the Old Course until March 31/05. I do not think it relates to the Open Championship being held there in the summer - but is an annual rule to allow the turf to recuperate during the winter months.

TK

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 10:05:52 AM »
I played TOC in June of 1984, just a month or so before the Open was held there.  At that time, they asked that golfers play everything off tees in the fairway.  I was playing with three Scots, and they didn't once tee the ball up in the fairway; I was scared NOT to.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 10:26:00 AM »
I played Prestwick once in January and they had a similar policy...(a) play shots from the fairway with a tee, or (b) pull your ball to the nearest patch of grass off the fairway.  

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 03:11:35 PM »
Pennard requires mats in the winter.  I usually play from the wings unless I am chipping or need extra spin.  Jeepers, it is amazing how much spin I can get with a TOPFLITE off the mats!

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 03:42:51 PM »
Just a quick question for those "in the know." Does TOC charge a lesser fee given the astroturf gimmick for the winter months.

Also -- does the facility ever use temporary greens during that time frame?

Thanks ... ;)

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 05:04:06 PM »
Matt

In the winter you can play TOC for ~£60.  It is fairly limited because of course closings, but easliy booked for the time of your choice if you plan ahead.  The other courses are much cheaper as well.  The Links Trust runs deals in conjunction with B&Bs, hotels etc.  

I think the first winter I was up there the price was ~£150 for three days golf and B&B-including TOC.  The next time we went I skipped TOC because of the mats.  Two rounds on the new and one on the Jubilee plus B&B was ~$125.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 12:12:10 PM »
Matt

When I was there a few weeks ago, they had a temporary green for the 11th (not a bad one, over by the 12th tee).  they will also often put pins in the winter in silly places such as the very front or very back of greens (i.e. on the false front of the 17th).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back