News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHrisB

Gorse in Bloom at Pacific Dunes (pictures)
« on: March 03, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »
Played Pacific Dunes 3/1/2005 in winds that were gusting over 50 mph when we were on the stretch of 4-11 (from the back tee we could not reach #4 or #7 and could barely reach the fairway on #9; on the other hand, we could drive #6 with a 5-wood). The gorse was in bloom and the place lit up despite the clouds and weather. Here are some pics:

#3 tee

#3 green approach f/left

#4 tee

(wind and rain from #5-9 dampened my motivation to take any pictures...)

#12 green with #3 green in background

Up-and-down contest from the dune behind #12 green

#13 tee

#13 forward tee

This is where my buddy Trey's tee shot ended up on #13. Good thing he is left-handed!

#13 green

#18 green

Bunker right of #18 green, looking back

#18 looking back

Doug Siebert

Re:Gorse in Bloom at Pacific Dunes (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 03:28:10 PM »
Wow!  You could have claimed those pictures were taken at Troon and few would have known the difference!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 03:28:24 PM »
Those are great pictures.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 03:32:58 PM »
#17 kicked my ass when I was there.
I couldn't pick the right club.
And I had a bunch of trouble releasing the club through the ball on my shots into that green. There was something about the angle of the green that really threw me off. Great hole!!
-Ted

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 03:42:30 PM »
Great stuff, Chris.  Thanks.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 03:50:04 PM »
Love that picture of #17!

Doug Wright

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 03:51:59 PM »
Great photos Chris. The gorse was blooming pretty fully when we were there six weeks ago--amazing that it is even brighter and fuller now. Must be the weird weather they're having.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 03:55:55 PM »
Chris,

Did you do any Photo'shopping or highlighting of these pictures?  If not, the gorse must have really popped  in the last couple of weeks.  Here's a few pictures from my brother's trip from Feb.10-13.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 04:05:10 PM by Brian_Gracely »

CHrisB

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 04:03:45 PM »
Chris,

Did you do any Photo'shopping or highlighting of these pictures?  If not, the gorse must have really popped  in the last couple of weeks.

Brian,
Nope, that's what it looked like. But how did you get all that blue sky in your pics? :) We didn't see much sun...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 04:08:59 PM by Chris Brauner »

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 04:16:57 PM »
incredible place, great pics, thanks for sharing with us!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 09:01:30 PM »
Those of you who are not aware, Oregon has had one incredible winter.

I mean, it has been abnormally nice.

We have received about three and a half inches of rain this year, contrast that with L.A.'s 20"!!!!

Bulbs are popping up all over the place, trees are blooming, everything is about two months ahead of schedule and it is going to make for one dry summer.

I suspect theimpressive bloom of the gorse at Pac Dunes is due to this warm weathe we've been having.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 09:17:25 PM »
Yes, it HAS been a balmy winter, yet the weather as well as the gorse bloom is similar to that of last year;  I arrived at Bandon Dunes in early March 2004 to begin work there, and walked up on the back tee at Bandon Trails, to be greeted by the vista across all three courses, and a stunning bloom of gorse, similar to the images in these  great photos.  I knew right then that I had made a great move!

Looking forward to meeting some of you this golf season.

Cheers to all,
Tom
the pres

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 10:03:55 PM »
Beautiful.

Michael Moore

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 10:05:16 PM »
Holy shit !

I have never seen anything quite like that -  1,000,000 X better than hearing about the rankings.

I am definitely going soon for the Budget Bandon off-season state park yurt thing . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 11:28:40 PM »
Great photos, and I suspect that the contrast of Brian's photos are more due to his being taken on a crystal clear, cold day, where the Chris's were on a misty damp overcast day.  What incredible textures!

Pictures like that... who needs a paper ranking on a list.  What PR guy could intice and inspire you more?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 11:34:42 PM »
The gorse blooms in Bandon like nowhere else I've ever been.  In Scotland you see it for six weeks, tops ... in Bandon a fair percentage of it is in bloom from January straight through the end of May.

I wonder if it's that much more aggressive in flowering because it is still reacting to the fire five years ago.  Nearly everything in your pictures [except on #17] was burned down to the roots in the fall of 1999.

It rains quite a bit during the winter there, but on the days it's not raining, the weather is as good as it gets all year.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 11:47:52 PM »
Speaking of fire, I saw a small gorse bush seemingly spontaneously combust just off to the left of the 11th tee at Pacific Dunes about three weeks ago. Seriously. My caddie will attest! I remember Ron Whitten mentioned in a story a couple of years ago playing with Mike Keiser, who I guess enjoys the odd cigarette out on the course, and Whitten being slightly afraid the whole thing would go up in flames. After that little moment, I sorta saw where he was coming from....!

Gotta love that gorse. Brian Gracely's pics reflect the time I was there. I thought it was an explosion of color when I was there, clearly it hadn't even close to peaked....wow!

DMoriarty

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 03:09:40 AM »
A few more photos, these from last year about this time . . .

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 09:41:55 AM »
David, those are really good pictures. Did you bring your private man from Hollywood to handle trip photography?

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2005, 07:23:21 PM »
With the gorse so beautiful at the moment, I took my camera with me yesterday for a day-trip down to Pacific Dunes.  This photo from the 3rd tee.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back