News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Lewis

World Golf Hall of Fame
« on: March 08, 2005, 02:05:19 PM »
Does it have an architects' section? Shouldn't it?

John_Cullum

Re:World Golf Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 02:06:49 PM »
They did have Donald Ross' eyeglasses as I recall.
Raynor was a hack

frank_D

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 04:27:22 PM »
brother Jeff Lewis

if you've ever been there you would notice quite a number of things lacking

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 04:38:57 PM »
I haven't been to Far Hills in 15 years but shouldn't they have an architects section?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 04:39:16 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 04:53:29 PM »
No it does not. In fact, there are only three architects who are installed in the hall of fame. Take a look for Tillinghast, you won't find him. Try Mackenzie, not there. And on and on.

Actually there is NO architects hall of fame and I would say that most on site believe there should be. Where it should be located is another issue.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 05:35:05 PM »
This has been brought up before but, how can Charles Blair Macdonald not be in the World Golf Hall of Fame?

Is there a logical answer?

Uh... he doesn't have 25 PGA Tour victories  ::)
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 05:44:01 PM »
Several years ago, ASGCA helped with an exhibit on gca for the WGHOF.  

I don't know of any architects in the Hall, but I agree there should be a section for them if there isn't.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 05:50:14 PM »
The Baseball Hall of Fame -- which has had the wisdom to exclude Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson (spare me the argument; he knew, and should have told) -- has nevertheless seen fit to include sportswriters, broadcasters, umps, managers, owners and executives.

You'd think the golf Hall of Fame could at least be broad-minded enough to include architects.

Jeff, you don't bet on contract bidding, do you? :)
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 12:12:14 AM »
The reason is a simple one. They prefer to induct into the hall people who can stand there and say thank you. This draws customers and money.

How many golfers have been enshrined into it after they died? This practice isn't limited to the architects. If the World Golf Hall of Fame wants to truly be that, then it needs examine its induction requirements and practices. They also need to make it more world-oriented in scope. By this I mean many of the greats whose only drawback may have been living in the 18 & early 1900's.

Brad Klein

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 07:31:58 AM »
There is, however, for what it's worth, a Drainage Hall of Fame in Columbus, Ohio, presumably at the Ohio State University.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 09:21:12 AM by Brad Klein »

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 07:49:25 AM »
the Jack Nicklaus musuem in Columbus is VERY good, fyi

I agree with Philp:  how can the Hall of Fame not celebrate all the great aspects of the game's past??  ??? that's one of the great appeals of all sports, recalling the historic events of the past
197 played, only 3 to go!!

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 08:20:18 AM »
The National Baseball Hall of Fame has categories for player, administrator, broadcaster and writer.  Do you think they should have one for stadium designers?

There should be a permanent exhibit/museum dedicated to golf architecture.  It is that worthwhile an art/science and is the underpinning of the sport.  I don't think there needs to be a Hall of Fame for it.  Maybe it would be needed for marketing purposes.  I'd rather see space dedicated to this at the USGA headquarters.  Or better yet the Golf Association of Philadelphia headquarters so I wouldn't have to deal with the greater NYC traffic jams!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:41:15 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 08:37:21 AM »
The GCA Hall of Fame should, of course, be located in the smoking room at the Carthage Club!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back