News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Thompson

Most exclusive clubs in the world?
« on: February 23, 2005, 10:43:47 AM »
Hey all:

If you take away the courses owned by a single individual with no members (like The Floridian, or Paul Desmarais' course in Quebec) -- what do you folks consider the most exclusive courses in the world? I'll admit I am doing some research for a story, but this is a subjective area and I'm interested in opinions with some specifics to support them. What characterizes exclusivity?

There are obvious ones - Cypress, Seminole, etc. What about others?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Kyle Harris

Re:Most exclusive clubs in the world?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 10:49:25 AM »
Pine Valley... rumor has it that if you pull up to the gaurd house and say you are "turning around" they'll check your trunk and not let you do so if you have clubs in the trunk.

Augusta National... of course.

NGLA

Hamilton Farms in NJ is ultra exclusive, something like 100 members, and one the best par three courses around.

JakaB

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 10:51:52 AM »
Kyle,

My young friend you have no idea...there are a couple of courses in St. Louis that are so exclusive that even the members of the club across the street won't discuss them on this site...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 10:52:45 AM by John B. Kavanaugh »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 10:54:24 AM »
Wow... at least I've been on two of the courses I've mentioned.

You know, I've always been partial to the idea of a "secret club" one where only the members even know it exists.

Strikes me as something that statistically should exist, and something I try to look for from time to time.

Kinda like the masonic order of golf clubs or something.

And no... not Lu Lu CC here in Philly  :P

Buck Wolter

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 10:58:26 AM »
John-
You are taking quite a risk bringing those up here. Good luck to you.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

RE Blanks

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 10:59:43 AM »
Looks secret and very exclusive to me.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 11:01:27 AM »
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Still a great track...

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 11:12:53 AM »
When I think of "exclusive" clubs, I think of those where access is very limited with very few rounds per year, or not many people even know the club is there. Pine Valley doesn't fit that mold for me, as witnessed by the fact that they often utilize a two tee start to accommodate the amount of play that they have.

In Orlando, some may think that Isleworth is exclusive, but those that live in the area will tell you that Orange Tree (a couple miles from Isleworth, and practically across the street from Bay Hill) is the toughest to get on. Most people don't even know it's there.

From what I've learned in the past, the Golf Club of Purchase (NY) fits the bill. I was speaking once to the head pro, and he said they had approximately 1500 rounds per year, and he played over 10% of those accompanying guests (he said he played 8-10 rounds a week in the summer). If I recall correctly, the Dunes Club in Michigan does around 3000 or so. How about Cherokee Plantation down in South Carolina? That would probably qualify, although I don't know how many rounds they host.

The limited access benchmark for me is approximately 6000-7000 rounds (here in Columbus, The Golf Club and Double Eagle are close to that range). Most typical private clubs in seasonal areas (midwest/northeast) may host 18,000-30,000. A busy place in a year-round climate may have over 50,000 rounds. 12,000 rounds in Florida is very limited.

Naturally, there is no hard and fast rule, nor are these actual statistics. Just my experience.

Regards,

Doug

Brad Klein

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 11:13:21 AM »
Try Morefar in Ct.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 11:16:22 AM »
Alright, what's the deal with Old Elm? Who is the designer, etc.?

Glen Rapoport

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 11:17:27 AM »
I think that the "most exclusive" club would be the one where the members don't even know that they are members.  That gets this thread out there doesn't it? That way no one who isn't a member can even talk about it.  

THuckaby2

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 11:18:03 AM »
I think shivas is right on here... the less people even know a place exists, the more exclusive it is.  And on top of that, if they actively deny they even have a golf course, no matter what one's eyes tell one looking through a fence, then that's pretty darn exclusive also.  I'm thinking of THE INSTITUTE in Gilroy, CA.  Of course that might fall under the "owned by one guy, so doesn't count" category here... but still, denial of existence is a pretty damn good criterion for exclusivity.

;D

ps - Glen is right on also.... the most exclusive club is so much so that once you are admitted, you are thrown out, because now you know about it.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 11:19:09 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 11:19:51 AM »
Now we're getting closer to my dream of the ultra-secret club.

Ever play Area 51's 18? They say it's a George Crump course which he designed in 1928....  ;D

Brad Klein

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 11:34:38 AM »
Old Elm is an H.S. Colt design, built by Ross - whom Colt in 1913 referred to as "Douglas Ross." I don't know which, if any, Chicago-area hacks messed up the place in the interim, but I do know Brian Silva did a thoughtful restoration of it in the late 1990s. It's unusual in many respects, not least because it's about 6,300 yards, par-73. There's a great 1930s aerial and, as I recall, a version of Colt's own drawing of the routing and bunkering that hangs in the maintenance shop.

I still like Rapoport's account of the ultimate exlcusive club - one where the members don't know they're members. They're either too old, too drunk, or too aloof.

John_Cullum

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 11:44:34 AM »
.... where the members don't know they're members. They're either too old, too drunk, or too aloof.

Peachtree is offended.
Raynor was a hack

T_MacWood

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 12:14:15 PM »
Shivas
Old Elm is definitely Colt. What I was trying to say in the essay, evidently not very clearly, was that Old Elm was not a collaboration between Colt and Ross, which is often the way Old Elm is listed. Colt designed it and Ross built it.

There was an article on this subject in GOLF a few years ago, and they listed the fifty most exclusive clubs. Old Elm was one of them. Other names I remember Wee Burn, Burning Tree, Fishers Island, Gulph Mills, Rumson, The Golf Club and Green Spring Valley in addition to the usually names ANGC, PV, CPC, NGLA,....

I understand Morfontaine near Paris is very exclusive.

klangone

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 12:23:23 PM »
I believe Morefar Back O Beyond in CT is still owned by AIG, company employees can schedule times to play there with clients.

I wouldn't say Old Elm is secret or exclusive, it is male only, like Butler, Bob O Link and Black Sheep

The 2 clubs in Purchase, Blindbrook and GC of Purchase are pretty exclusive.......

I never thought of Wee Burn as very exclusive, nice place in a very nice town, CC of Fairfield holds the keys to exclusivity in CT

Besides the usual suspects in FL like Seminole and Indian Creek, Mountain Lake with its small membership and Fisher Island Club are pretty exclusive.

By far the most exclusive I have seen over seas is Swinley Forest....

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 12:34:36 PM »
What about Bandon's Sheep Ranch? For a time about a year ago, it seemed to exist only in rumor (until the SI article).

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 12:58:23 PM »
You want exclusive..How about Porcupine Creek Golf Club in Rancho Mirage (Palm Springs area). Technically it is not a "club" at all, just a privately owned golf course.Apparently the only way the owner was able to get his approvals was to make the course part of his backyard and not a "business". I have never been able to find a phone number anywhere. I contacted the Pro when I visited the area last year and that was via fax. He called me back to explain that only personal guests of the owner were permitted through the gates.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 12:59:51 PM by Rob_Waldron »

Robert Thompson

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 01:08:48 PM »
Shivas -- Well I appreciate your contribution, what difference does it make who klangone is? There are lots of successful people on the list and these kinds of comments don't serve any purpose other than to run people off this posting board.
I think we should encourage people to post, not disparage others.
At the very least, his comments were on point, unlike your post.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 01:23:19 PM »
Fight Club

..oops, I just broke rule #1

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 01:46:12 PM »
I would add Bloomfield Hills GC to the list.  It's here in metro Detroit.  Donald Ross design.

No tee sheets.  Under 5,000 rounds per year.  Guests are discouraged.  Delicious tomato soup.

JDoyle

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 01:51:43 PM »
Deepdale on LI appears to be very exclusive.  I have never met a member or any one who had played there.

Naples National is very exclusive and private.  I believe the pro or an assistant pro plays with each group.  They have a very low number of annual rounds.

blasbe1

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 02:00:30 PM »
Deepdale on LI appears to be very exclusive.  I have never met a member or any one who had played there.

I heard a first hand story from a local pro who caddied at Deepdale growing up that he used to loop for a women who had one caddie for her bag and one for her poodle.  

Not sure if that qualifies as exclusive but its pretty f**kin funny.

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 02:03:13 PM »
I recall reading somewhere that some of the clubs over in continental Europe are ultra exclusive, but I can't say I recall which. I figured there was no need to remember them. :)

Robert -

It seems to me there are many different types of exclusivity - are you talking access for play, membership, or is this just a general piece?

My dream used to be to own my own course with a membership of one - all guests must be accompanied by me, with the proviso that I must always be available for a round. :) Then it shrunk to a 9 holer, then a 9 hole executive, then a few holes that could be played in multiple ways. Now I'm just hoping my local muni doesn't ban me for my recent posts. ;D
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back