News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re:Why have green collars and first cut of rough?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 11:16:34 AM »
Why have green collars and first cut of rough?

In addition to the maintenance and aesthetic purposes cited, for definition.   To orient the golfer toward the lines of play; as a frame or point of reference to better gauge the point or position of the desired target.

Preston Trail's greens have a unique mowing pattern.  The greens are cut to a relatively short height, then there is an intermediate fringe of 18" - 24" just a tad longer, a slightly longer primary fringe of similar width, then the 2' - 4" rough.

Shady Oaks, Hogan's hangout for the last 20 years or so of his life, had only very short rough (1'' or so) around expansive fairways.  I have never played a course with just two cuts, one for greens and one for the remainder.  It would be pretty interesting.

Pat K

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2005, 01:52:54 PM »
       Once upon a time the old place I care for had the 1980's look of a 22 inch collar and narrow target fairways. It was a constant arguement of do we need a first cut of rough. Then we were enlightened on early american golf and just made the fairways wide, we mow into the bunkers, and the collars became just short grass around the greens as far as we can get away with.
      The need for a first cut has disappearred. But it has left me with a dilemma, what do we call the short grass around the green. It used to be a collar, then it became a chipping bowl, but now what is it? It's no longer just a bowl. We mow into and around bunkers where it's possible. Can I just call it short grass around the green? There has to be a good marketing name.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2005, 01:55:18 PM »
Pat K,

How does "Fairway" sound? It could catch on.... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve Curry

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »
No more intermediate cut of rough at BHCC.  I love the wide fairways right to the rough look.

Pat,

Call it SGAG Short grass around green?  ;)

Steve

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2005, 05:59:28 PM »
"Has it ever occurred that you might need these areas to turn mowers in.. How playable would matted 4" rough be with mowers turning on it daily?"

Donnie:

Look, pal, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about this pathetic "turning" excuse, OK? From now on I want you to tell your boys when they're finished with a mowing pass to just pick up the damn mowers and set 'em down in the other direction and just get on with it!

Pat_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2005, 10:52:29 PM »
Brian Gracely,

Think of the practical aspect of mowing a putting green without a collar to allow for margins of error, or the margins themselves.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back