News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

You Might Be a Purist If.....
« on: February 11, 2005, 09:39:41 AM »
After reading the purist threads this week, I happened to stumble on my daughter's Jeff Foxworthy Redneck calendar.  You are probably familiar with the format - "You might be a redneck if....Your fathers cell number has nothing to do with a telephone." etc.

So, without a definitive definition of gca purist, I thought this might be a good Friday excersise to illustrate it by examples, humourous if possible.

My first offering, "You might be a gca purist if......you have absolutely no sense of humor when discussing golden age courses" fairly describes my gut feeling that this thread will go nowhere!

So, fill in the blank here - "You might be a gca purist if......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Kyle Harris

Re:You Might Be a Purist If.....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 09:40:58 AM »
You might be a GCA purist if...

you get paid $10 an hour to sit at a computer and respond to such discussions as "You might be a GCA purist if..."

:-p

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 09:48:42 AM »
...you try a bump-and-run approach to the seventeenth green at TPC Sawgrass.

...you carry your own rake for creating furrows when playing at Oakmont.

...you spend ten minutes on the tee debating the strategic merits of aiming for the left versus right side---of a 25-yard wide fairway.

...you try to sneak into Augusta National with a chainsaw the night before the Masters to cut down the Eisenhower pine tree.

...you refuse to tee off with any club that can carry a "strategic" fairway bunker.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 09:53:51 AM »
...you are accepting of all.

CHrisB

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 10:49:09 AM »
...you play with hickories...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 10:50:52 AM »
Along those lines...

...you nick up your Gutta Percha ball before you tee off in your local meadow

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 10:56:09 AM »
In a restoration project sense I like this description by jeffwarne which I've used a few times on the "purist" threads as an answer to a question by David Moriarty;

""....and I'm addressing the "purists" who ideally want the course the way the architect originally laid it out."

Mark Brown

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 11:06:19 AM »
You might be a purist if you've never played a course that was designed by an architect who is still living.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 11:07:45 AM »
Your still pissed off that Raynor died before he could build more courses, and that the Lido doesn't exist anymore.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 11:09:44 AM »
.... you walk a course even when a cart is provided for no additional cost.

.... you pull a cart and wear a Timex when 90% of your colleagues ride their climate-controlled cars and sport their Rolexs.

.... you actually see and understand the various options inherent in every hole and play to your strengths that day, while your less "pure" buddy pulls the driver out and hits it as hard as he can at the hole.

.... you insist on putting everything out, keep an accurate scorecard and require that your opponent signs it after completing the round.

..... you believe that anything pre-1940 has architectural merit, and most everything since has none.

.... you think that the runner is a more elegant, sophisticated shot requiring more imagination, skill, and touch than the one which bores through the air to a tight pin position.

.... you hold that hitting prodigious drives is highly overrated.

.... you believe you have a monopoly on the truth, and those holding views otherwise are one or more of the following: ignorant simpletons, egotisitcal, selfish, greedy, and otherwise incapable of possessing any redeeming personal qualities.

.... you believe that the ball should be rolled back to the early 1970s when the red Max would change shapes to an egg if kept in the trunk for 24 hours in the summer?  or the perhaps to the earlier Spalding Dot?  maybe the Haskell?

.... you think that the game has gotten too easy because Phil shoots 62 at Spyglass, but can't remember when you broke 80 the last time from the up tees at Joe Six Pack Municipal.

..... you long for the "good ole days" when things were simple, gas was 35 cents, golf courses weren't crowded, green fees were $10,  you could get a full set of clubs for a couple hundred bucks (but you conveniently forget that you were making $2.25 an hour).  

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 11:09:57 AM »
You're pissed off that this damn Internet thing is being used as a form of communcation.  Bring back the days when GCA-like arguments were hashed out between architects via letter and magazine articles and took months to resolve.  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 02:22:28 PM »
Leith rules... WITH spelling errors...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 02:25:59 PM »
BDF?

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 03:06:19 PM »
You walk and carry a leather bag in the rain while wearing softspikes.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 04:06:27 PM »
...your copy of "Decisions on the Rules of Golf" is in your bathroom.

...you take your hat off in the clubhouse even though you look a hell of a lot better with it on.

...you wait to have your first beer after the round, not after the first hole.

...you wish you could have seen Ben Hogan's reaction to a player using an electronic range finder.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2005, 04:23:39 PM »
RickS:

Good stuff! Hilarious

Michael Moore

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2005, 04:35:36 PM »
Hogan once asked his caddie for the yardage to the hole and the caddie answered, “It’s 145, 147 yards.’’

“Make up your mind,’’ replied Hogan.

The meticulous Ben Hogan probably thought that Rangefinders were delightful.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Jim Thompson

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2005, 04:49:35 PM »
... you think that Shivas thinks you think to much, I think. ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 06:02:51 PM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2005, 09:46:08 PM »
 8)

you've ever walked a course to study it first and play it second..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kirk

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2005, 11:43:54 PM »
..., while cleaning the cat box litter, you look down and realize how little smoothing would be required to turn the cat box into a fine playing surface.  Then, after removing the clumps, you smooth it out a little for good measure.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2005, 10:07:03 AM »
..If you prefer these lines ...

to these...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2005, 10:09:59 AM »
All right!  You guys came through big time!

And with Mike Young's Rodney thread, I sense a whole new genre of GCA threads coming soon in 2005!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Kyle Harris

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2005, 10:27:01 AM »
Redanman,

Didn't know you could still wear still spikes at Moselem...

Having never played in them, I've always been curious if there is any difference, so now I have a place to see...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2005, 10:36:35 AM »
Now THAT would be worth the trip... ALways wanted to play the ninth hole there.

Apparently the rest of the course is nice too  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back