News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Buczkowski

I had the pleasure of exchanging IMs with a GCA cognoscente the last couple of days and this topic came up.  When I think about my golfing life, my favorite memories have a mythical feeling - somehow the environment greatly enhance the experience.  Sometimes that's the venue itself or other surroundings (the church bells ringing at #1 tee at Pinehurst come immediately to mind), but most times its the setting sun that makes it so much more special.  I read in one of the many Torrey Pines threads that it is a glorious place at sunset...having been there (but not at sunset) I can imagine that scene alone would place TP at a hgiher level then for those who don't get to experience it.

So, do you have a favorite story about golf at sunset?  And, how does the architecture of the course enhance the evening experience due to the layout of the last couple of holes?  Clearly if the holes move towards the setting sun that takes away from it.  I remember playing Los Verdes near the SoCal coast and putting out on 16 or 17 as the sun set...even 18 seemed like it was designed to soak in the view.  

Just another reason why this game is a metaphor for life.

Pete

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Why is it that the best moments in golf always occur near sunset?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 12:35:30 PM »
For one thing, the lighting/shadowing is terrific then, best for pictures.

Second, at sunset, often the course is fairly empty by then, and the solitude of having a course to yourself (walking, of course), perhaps even the staff has gone for the day, is wonderful.  I know I've "closed" many a course in my day, including the last few times I played.  Always reminds me of that old (USGA?) commercial of the kids saying they'll "keep playing until we can't see it anymore".

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 12:40:12 PM »
Pete,

I disagree with your supposition. As a person who has spent many a night in a car at Bethpage, there is definitely nothing like the sun rising over that majestic clubhouse while you are standing in line waiting to purchase green fees & get your tee time. It is truly a memorable experience.  ;D

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 12:56:44 PM »
two great sunsets I'eve experienced jump right to my mind:  at Pacific Dunes and at Arcadia Bluffs...the dazzling colors  remind me that we should NEVER take Mother Nature for granted
197 played, only 3 to go!!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 01:38:25 PM »
To the lighting, which is critical, I'll add the inner feeling of finishing a good day.  Often, if I play early, there is much yet to be done that day, and the opportunity to pause for reflection simply isn't there.

Several years ago, I went with a group of life buddies on a golf trip the Scottsdale.  The first day, which was my first day ever in the desert, we played 36 at Grayhawk.  At the end of the round, we sat on the veranda with the biggest margaritas I have ever seen, and watched the sun go down as groups finished on both courses.  It was just too good to believe.

I've gotten the same feelings playing late in the day with my son.  I can't take in how lucky I am to have the life that I have.  I have the same life in the mornings, and I dearly, dearly love playing early, but somehow it doesn't bring out the reverence and awe that the evening does.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jfaspen

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 02:11:28 PM »
Playing up the 18th at Caledonia then getting a cold one and watching the last group of the day finish while the sun sank below the flooded wetland was an amazing sight.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 02:22:23 PM »
Here's an exciting moment in golf that had to have happened  sometime near sunset or the end of the day. I can't remember if it was the NY Junior Girls Championship or the US National Girl's Championship but in the finals on the 17th hole (that's why it was probably nearing the end of the day or sunset) the match had been great golf and tense all day and it was even on the tee of the 17th hole, a long par 3. The player with the honor hit an unbelievable shot about a foot from the pin and not to be outdone her opponent stepped up and put it right in the hole and went on to win the match one up!

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 04:13:16 PM »
I think the reason is no more complicated than the fact that sunsets are cool.

Sunrises are also cool, but if you have a golf moment at sunrise, you are then going to be out there for an additional 4 hours, which dilutes the initial moment with standard, mid-morning light.  

With the exception of sledding and shorting stock, starting at the high and finishing at the low ain't as good as starting low and finishing high.  

C'mon Shiv...at least share one story where you triple-pressed somebody after dusk and made the bird without reading the putt.  ;D

Gene Greco

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 04:23:47 PM »
 ::)

<------

<------

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Lester George

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 04:25:54 PM »
For me it is soft kight and long shadows.  I like looking at good golf courses most in the early morning or right at sunset.

Lester

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 04:36:27 PM »
Pete,
I too have closed Los Verdes down a few times--make that most everytime I have played it. Sometimes playing 18 in near dark. It and Torrey Pines are some of the great scenes in public golf in the country because of it. The experience just comes alive.

My greatest moments are at night. Walking in from playing the Eden around 11:30-11:45pm, seeing the irradescent golden glow of the R&A clubhouse in the distance and thanking God for being alive. All while not even having dinner yet, and having to settle for some junk food from the Shell petrol station above Market Street. Food doesn't matter to me in those situations. One night I hustled from the Eden to the Jigger Inn just in time to make last call.

Another absolutely glorious moment was playing Friar's Head at that time with the sun going down in the West.

Also, a course that doeesn't get much respect around here, but a place I truly love--Crail, and even though I only played it once, late in the day while doing those finishing stretch of golf holes down below near the water.........

Unfreekingbelievable!

I did Lundin Golf Club in a similar fashion.

NAF

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 04:40:05 PM »
Tommy--you forget the VCM back in August..

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 04:52:56 PM »
No I didn't. I was waiting for you to post on that! ;) But now that you bring it up, how awesome is that place at dusk?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 04:54:05 PM »
With the exception of sledding and shorting stock, starting at the high and finishing at the low ain't as good as starting low and finishing high.  

Entirely beyond the golf itself, isn't this why we all love places like Sand Hills and Sutton Bay?

One can start AND finish high -- and come down only the slightest bit in between.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 05:14:22 PM »

Entirely beyond the golf itself, isn't this why we all love places like Sand Hills and Sutton Bay?

One can start AND finish high -- and come down only the slightest bit in between.

Maybe the best quote of this very young year!

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2005, 05:42:24 PM »

Amen, brother Dan. One of my favorite memories of golf was playing two rounds at SH in one day, then realizing we had a bit more daylight. So, while the sunset, we played holes 1-6 in a scramble with my brother, dad and a friend. Great times.

Another great moment of sunrise, sunset golf was travelling from San Mateo to Pebble Beach to get on the waiting list. Watched the sunrise with deer roaming the driving range and managed to get the last available slot that day at 3:15 and walked the 18th hole with my wife along as the sun was setting. The longest, and one of the most memorable days, of my life.

Top100Guru

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2005, 06:14:20 PM »
Sometimes, the best moments occur near sunset because the average golfer is rushing to get finished before daylight is gone and you cant see the ball, thus, you think less about all the things you did on the previous 17 holes and magical things happen, like holing your shot from 175 yards for Eagle!!!'

We should all play this way for the first 17 holes, and rounds would average under 4 hours and the scores would likely be much lower.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 06:15:03 PM by McConkey III »

Dave_Miller

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »
I had the pleasure of exchanging IMs with a GCA cognoscente the last couple of days and this topic came up.  When I think about my golfing life, my favorite memories have a mythical feeling - somehow the environment greatly enhance the experience.  Sometimes that's the venue itself or other surroundings (the church bells ringing at #1 tee at Pinehurst come immediately to mind), but most times its the setting sun that makes it so much more special.  I read in one of the many Torrey Pines threads that it is a glorious place at sunset...having been there (but not at sunset) I can imagine that scene alone would place TP at a hgiher level then for those who don't get to experience it.

So, do you have a favorite story about golf at sunset?  And, how does the architecture of the course enhance the evening experience due to the layout of the last couple of holes?  Clearly if the holes move towards the setting sun that takes away from it.  I remember playing Los Verdes near the SoCal coast and putting out on 16 or 17 as the sun set...even 18 seemed like it was designed to soak in the view.  

Just another reason why this game is a metaphor for life.

Pete

Pete:

Golf on the Monterey courses particularly those in the Del Monte forest are magical as the sun sets into the bays of the Pacific which surround Carmel and Monterey.
Even the Hucksters favorite place Pacific Grove becomes magical ;)

Best,
Dave

ian

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2005, 09:33:56 PM »
Fathers and sons play in the evenings, becuse the course is less crowded. The reward is a quiet evening together playing golf and the perfect finish is watching the sun set together out on the course.

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2005, 11:12:44 PM »
Some of the best memories I have of playing golf during the 16 years I was a member at the Presidio Golf Club (San Francisco) are walking down the 9th or 18th fairways in the twilight on a sunny summer evening.

Both holes are slightly downhill, with a view of the attractive, Tudor-style PGC clubhouse sitting behind the greens. Behind the clubhouse was the large, red-tile dome of a nearby temple. Further back on the horizon were half-a-dozen various church spires and towers, several of which sit on the University of San Francisco campus.

Between the shadows from the tree-lined fairways and these landmarks sitting in bright sunlight, the vista could be stunning. It was easy to get the impression you were in Italy, on a golf course in Fiesole, overlooking Florence.      

Mark Brown

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2005, 11:08:14 PM »
On the coasts, or a lake, architects like bring the last couple holes to the water, which adds the reflection and a little magic.

Playing Harbour Town's 16,17 and 18 at sunset gives the last few groups a view they'll remember forever.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 12:11:10 AM »
Fathers and sons play in the evenings, becuse the course is less crowded. The reward is a quiet evening together playing golf and the perfect finish is watching the sun set together out on the course.

The other reward is allowing your very own flesh and blood, your creation, see the benefits of adherance to the rules AND traditions of the game by using a REAL putter! ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 12:11:31 AM by Tommy_Naccarato »

ian

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 04:15:58 PM »
Tommy, ;D

I'm laughing still.

I returned to a conventional putter for good in June. I worked with the drills that someone was kind enough to email me. ;)

My son is still not sure what that "other" strange club is hidding behind old drivers. I told him it's his mothers.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2005, 04:51:07 PM »
I've really enjoyed these word pictures. Thanks, all.

My favorite time to play is at sunset, but I've lost a few balls at that time because I couldn't follow them with the sun in my eyes. Which raised a question in my mind that I haven't seen discussed (though I'm sure it has been):

How much thought (if any) do architects put into the direction of holes #1, 9, 10 and 18, with regard to where the sun rises and sets?

It seems to me in a perfect world that you'd want the first hole or two facing west, so early groups would not have to tee off into the rising sun. Likewise, the last couple of holes would ideally face east, so groups finishing late wouldn't lose sight of their shots in the setting sun.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Todd McGillivray

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 07:23:46 PM »

"Only you, McGillivray!" Newell shouted up at me.

The sun's busy melting into the ocean, and I'm half-way up that two story dune on the right side of #13 during round two at Pacific Dunes...gunmetal sixty in the hand, Marly Red between my lips, footing crumbling every time I move...just your everyday average forty yard half-plugged sand dune sand shot to a sucker pin with the very real possibility of blading it off an immense cliff...and all in front of a vocal gallery of three of my best friends and four killer loopers, laughing, hooting, and asking me just how, precisely, a young man would manage to even HIT his ball up there, let alone scramble up there to play it.

That sunset, that changed everything.  Pacific Dunes looks beautiful in the morning, stunning in the early afternoon, but in that last hour of daylight?  

Hell, that's enough to make me want to have kids, just to show 'em what Heaven looks like.

Todd - oh, and to show them where the fairway ain't

(for the record: knocked it to 13 feet to miss my par...)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back