News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Nicklaus Architecture Book
« on: January 23, 2003, 07:07:22 AM »
I was interested to see a large, glossy, colour publication in the stores tonight, authored by Jack Nicklaus, on course design. It's the first time I've seen it available for sale in Australia. When was it released in the US ?

Pete Dye wrote a very good foreward, and the body of the book appeared intelligent on initial glances. The artwork especially looked wonderful. It's a pity more authors don't have the ability to adorn their works with such picture quality.

Have others seen this volume, and what have been the thoughts thus far ?

MM
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

redanman

Re: Nicklaus Architecture Book
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 07:15:02 AM »
I leafed through it a few times, couldn't bring myself to buy it at full or initial discount prices.  Parenthetically, Jack's team of designer's courses aren't in my top 10 teams, but I still like some of their stuff and they do some real surprizes (Poconos, PA-Great Bear was a real pleasant surprize.)

Every book Jack has ever had his name on eventually winds up in the Borders or Barnes&Noble el cheapo section, so I'll get it eventually.

The book is certainly more fair and intellectually honest than Gary Player's :-X , but there are more revelations in Golf's Magnificent Challenge by RTJones, Sr.

It will be in my Golf Library.  Eventually is the operative word.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 07:21:04 AM »
I think many of you would like it better than, say the Fazio book, as he does discuss strategy a little bit. While I would have liked a bit more, he gives enough examples from a players perspective to see how it affects his architecture.

I also liked the book for how concise the writing was.  While some go on and on about things in detail, Nicklaus will say things like (from memory, not exact quote) "We use free form tees because they fit nature better)  That gets his philosophy out, but does it a readable hurry.  I like that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

john stiles

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 07:37:48 AM »
I agree that text is better than the Fazio book.

The last chapter is 'The Next Generation' in which Nicklaus argues for a shorter ball.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 08:20:56 AM »
For those wanting a sneak-peek, check out the Jan-Feb issue of T&L golf where they reprint a chapter on Par 5 design strategies.  There's also a side-bar on his renovation of Turtle Point here on Kiawah Island called "The Bear Mellows."  

Brian Phillips

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 12:52:17 PM »
I agree with Jeff that it is probably a better book than the Fazio book but take a look at the picture on page 87 and then read the text associated with the picture.

That sums up what I think of the book.

I have a fair number of books for my age...33 and cannot recommend the book.

Buy Forrest's book instead.

Brian.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2003, 01:05:10 PM »
Brian,

There used to be a rule of thumb (now out of date) that a sign of success was "making your age", i.e., $33,000 for a 33 year old.  Are you suggesting the new bar for success is owning one golf book for every year of age?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Brian Phillips

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 02:10:48 PM »
You got me again boss.  ;D

I have no reply to that one, apart from saying that the book is better than the Fazio book but is not a book I recommend...

I'll be in touch soon about Archipalooza...if Tom hasn't

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tim Weiman

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 02:55:35 PM »
MathewM:

Having acquired both the Fazio and the Nicklaus book, I guess you could say I recommend both.

But, it partly depends on how serious you are about building a golf architecture book collection and your reasons for acquiring any particular book.

Like it or not, Fazio and Nicklaus are two of the most prominent people in the golf architecture business. So, for that reason alone I want to own a copy and see what each said. Pete Dye wrote a book. So did Robert Trent Jones. I prefer to own them all.

But, I don't buy these books to "learn" something about golf architecture. For that I would recommend starting with the classics, the writings of Thomas, Hunter, Mackenzie and Simpson.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back