News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

frank_D

Re: Walking
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2003, 10:10:26 AM »
only REAL "golfers" walk

everyone else is only playing cart polo - and damaging the courses as well as done nothing for pace of play

i hate cart paths - especially the ones through fairways or near greens

however - i was on the side of casey martin and public accomodation and like handicap parking some allowances should be made

metal spikes should also be allowed under certain circumstances

courses could replace carts with caddies / pull carts as an alternative revenue source

the other responses i see here mention "money" with some very "upscale" courses named - my example would be Bethpage Black - walking only and approx $40 in season - no carts and very few dissatified customers ! with some regulars for the last 30 or more years !

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »

JakaB

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2003, 10:29:44 AM »
Lou,

I find myself prostituted in many ways to meet the increasing cash flow needs of myself, wife and children...one of these has been the asphalting of each and every Illinois course I play.   The method of construction is outstanding and should last my lifetime...the placement is disgusting at times...but whats a low bidder to do....what is truly sad is that due to the lack of production and difficult access...the work is very unprofitable...but good advertisement and somewhat of a public service considering everyone but the destitute or paroled play cart ball in Southern Illinois....I even own my own cart with full winter package for play at the "goat" where they charge a $2 dollar trail fee for either walking or riding in your own cart....$375 yearly green fee with $100 additional for owning your own cart.   I only walk that course alone and usually within five or six holes some friend comes racing up in his cart and challenges me to a game...at which time I ride the rest of the day.

Sometimes I play for the game and sometimes I play for the golf...but thank god for little green apples cause Indiana is a walking state, underrated as it is...funny the differences crossing a river can make.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »

Matt Dupre

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2003, 10:33:05 AM »
Jerry,

I started a thread here a few weeks ago trying to get information in order to get my club to allow walking for a fee (when caddies weren't available).  Otherwise it's mandatory cart  >:(

Golf is a walking game, and with exception of courses like Kapalua Plantation and Ridge at Castle Pines (both of which I've walked - once!) that are built knowing that carts will make them playable for the masses, walking should be the primary means of transport.

That being said, the golf cart has been marketed incredibly well - leaving us die-hard walkers in the minority and begging for options.  

(When visiting the in-laws in Michigan and playing any of their wonderful daily fee courses, I'm constantly amazed at the number of fit looking individuals taking carts because it's the best way to carry the cooler. The overall golf experience has been re-defined to include stuff that boggles my mind.)

Carts are now part of the revenue equation for both resorts and private clubs, and as long as the bottom line isn't impacted the option should be provided.  That's why what Mike is doing at Kiawah is a good thing - the business gets what it needs per player, and the player chooses how he or she is going to enjoy the round.  And Kiawah's well deserved reputation will only get better...

As an aside, Blackwolf Run does allow you to carry your own (or reserve a caddie) at the River and Meadows Valley courses which is also a great thing compared to other resorts around the country.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2003, 06:42:12 PM »
I played at Talking Stick North in Scottsdale AZ last Sunday.  The green fee for walkers and riders is the same.  The course is as walkable as any I've ever played.  Flat, greens and tees in close proximity.  Nice weather, low 70's, not humid.  We were the only walkers.  What's that tell you about golf in America today?  The Philistines prevail!

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2003, 07:34:34 PM »
Forrest Richardson:

I certainly understand the needs of clients. I hope no one thinks I brought this up in order to bash modern day architects.

Imagine an early 20th century architecht examinig a site for the first time. Since he's on foot, he's certainly looking for the most efficient way to get around the property, taking account, of course, of any special features available. He'll avoid, wherever possible, akward or difficult walks between holes unless the result is an exceptional or unexpected view or unless there is simply no other way to get to the next hole.

Putting carts into the equation may allow a hole to be built which might not have been built otherwise. However, golf is  a lot about pace. Zooming up to the ball, or zooming between holes, makes the pace jagged and fitfull. Short walks between greens and tees allow a few moments of reflection, refreshment, and refocus without taking one out of the game completely.

I'm not and architect, and I don't play one on TV. I would like to know whether, given the choice, you would prefer (if you had the choice) a project where the goal, in addition to good design, was walkability, or do carts allow you more freedom to use the land as you see fit? And how do you think carts affect "flow?"
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2003, 07:40:56 PM »
I am all for walking, as I said.

Carts affect flow, in my view, by rushing things as you suggested. The good side is that they do bring the game to a few more golfers who might otherwise not be able to get around. This number will increase as the boomer generation matures. These boomers are not content to sit around -- they demand to be outdoors.

The aspect of tricky sites also is a factor, as you mentioned. Some sites with spectacular holes simply could not survive without the cart. Too bad. I always look to walking first and foremost -- but it is difficult, I'll admit.

Of course, flow is in the time-clock of the beholder. So as more and more and more courses mandate carts and younger golfers are brought up with them, well, flow to these folks is not what it might be to other purists, such as you and me and others.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back