News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHrisB

Re:Amateur "Majors"
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2005, 03:46:45 PM »
Anyway, does the British Amateur make it onto your agenda at all? I know it is a serious committment, but have you gone or do you plan on doing so? This question applies to any other player on here of that caliber as well.

JES,
I played in a few British Ams in the late 90's, and it is probably my favorite tournament anywhere, although R&A events are pretty much polar opposite of the USGA events in terms of frills (in '96 at Turnberry we had to bring our own practice balls).

They have since tightened up the entry criteria considerably for Americans--now you have to make match play of the U.S. Am or semis of the U.S. Mid to gain entry into the following year's British Am.

Fortunately it is a little easier to enter the British Mid-Am, which has the same format (with a smaller field) and is usually held on very good courses. Last year it was Hoylake and this year it's Muirfield(!).

JESII

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2005, 03:54:26 PM »
Thanks guys,

What a year this could be for some of you guys:

Australian Amateur   - Royal Melbourne in March
British Mid-Amateur  - Muirfield in early August
US Amateur            - Merion in mid-August

Who's playing? I'll caddy and only charge for beer.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 03:57:33 PM by JES II »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2005, 03:57:36 PM »
Chris,
Good point I did not think about that, but it should return to the sandbelt about every 4 or 5 years doesn't it?

I mean who would complain if it was held at Metro, huntington or victoria......not me.
You could always sneak over to Royal after elimination!!!

JESII

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2005, 03:58:40 PM »

I mean who would complain if it was held at Metro, huntington or victoria......not me.
You could always sneak over to Royal after elimination!!!

Or with the trophy, right.

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2005, 04:52:28 PM »
I play in the Holston Hills Invitational every year all you have to do is call the proshop and inquire. When you get the invite send it in asap because it fills up really quick. The Honors Course is having a invite only tourney this year also.

Lawrence

Chris Kane

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2005, 07:08:50 PM »
Michael W-P, it would be a real shame to come from overseas to play an Australian Amateur at Huntingdale.

It was at Royal Adelaide last year, Metropolitan (matchplay) and Kingston Heath (strokeplay) in 2001.  You're right that its in Victoria ever 4-5 years.  Hopefully if a second course is built at Barnbougle, it will be held down there as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back