News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Re: YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE HOLE
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2011, 09:49:26 PM »
Runner Up: St. Andrew Beach #10

All Time Favorite: Ballybunion, #17 Cashen
Tim Weiman

Brian Finn

« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »
# 1 at TOC- besides the obvious, because it's the gateway to the next 17.

# 4 at BPB- absent an ocean vista, are there many cooler views than walking down the slope after putting out on #3 and seeing the entire 4th open up in front of you?

CD

I could not agree more regarding #4 at BPB.  It may not be the most strategic hole on the course, and certainly is not the toughest, but no hole in golf excites me like this one.  I always feel as though the round is really under way walking down to the 4th tee (usually already several over par)...
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Jim Johnson

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2011, 11:11:28 PM »
Pacific Dunes #6 at Bandon Golf Resort...

Short par 4.
Fun for everybody, regardless of length or ability.
Multiple options off the tee.
Amazing 20 foot deep greenside bunker.
Narrow green demanding a great short game.
Etc.
Etc.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »
USA - 12 Chicago Golf
Australia - 6 Royal Melbourne West
New Zealand - 16 Paraparaumu Beach
England - 16 Royal Cinque Ports
Scotland - 3 Prestwick
Cave Nil Vino

JMEvensky

« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2011, 10:38:33 AM »

USA - 12 Chicago Golf
Australia - 6 Royal Melbourne West
New Zealand - 16 Paraparaumu Beach
England - 16 Royal Cinque Ports
Scotland - 3 Prestwick

What,no Japan?You need to get out more. ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »
Choosing one single hole as my all-time favorite was a fairly difficult task. Difficult due to the fact that it took up way too much of my time trying to select the one true favorite. But, I already spend a lot of time with the trappings of this website so I jumped in and wrestled around with more than a few great ones and the one that rises to the top is #8 at Ballyneal.

From wegoblogger31.com

From the tee shot to the next, nowhere I've seen will a ball on the ground move as much as on this hole. I'm a sucker for a reachable par 5 (definitely my favorite type of hole) and this one begs the golfer to reach back and send it sailing towards the flagstick with his second. Problem is, there's a party in the ground lying ahead, where your trajectory, spin and angle of attack will make all the difference between whether or not you're going to be around, or more importantly, below the hole. I've yet to par the damn thing in three plays, each time walking off the green shaking my head, wondering 'what if', with all of the options made available to get it near the hole. Watching John Lyon eagle it in the twilight hour a couple of weeks ago was one of the many highlights of our day spent at Ballyneal.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:15:12 PM by Eric Smith »

JNC Lyon

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »
Eric,

Cool post, and yes, Ballyneal's 8th is an awesome par five.  I loved the halfpipe fairway, the Sahara bunker complex, the bunker short left of the green that guards the best landing area for the second shot, and, above all, the green.  That green is brilliant.  It looks very complicated, but it simply slopes one direction, with three tiny pimples placed perfectly to befuddle golfers.  The collection area right of the green is superb as well.

However, 8th at Ballyneal is not my all-time favorite hole (despite my 3 there).  In fact, it's not even my favorite hole on that nine!  That would 7, the great short par four with my favorite green complex of the year.

My all-time favorite hole? I'll have to think about that one for awhile.  7 and 13 Ballyneal are certainly contenders, but there are other ones in the running as well.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Terry Lavin

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
#8 Prairie Dunes
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Eric Smith

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
In fact, it's not even my favorite hole on that nine!  That would 7, the great short par four with my favorite green complex of the year.

Too short. ;) If you recall, I nearly stone cold murdered Mac and/or his caddy on this one!

No doubt, the seventh is brilliant and a contender on my favorites list.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
In fact, it's not even my favorite hole on that nine!  That would 7, the great short par four with my favorite green complex of the year.

Too short. ;) If you recall, I nearly stone cold murdered Mac and/or his caddy on this one!

No doubt, the seventh is brilliant and a contender on my favorites list.

Classic!  Of course, we were only playing from the middle of the teeing area, and there is nothing, especially not tee markers, preventing players from moving back on that hole.

Question: what was more epic, my eagle on 8, or the post-round hijinks that later ensued?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Michael George

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2011, 01:19:53 PM »
I cannot specify without breaking down by the par of the hole.

Par 5 - Muirfield Village #11 - great risk/reward, cool highly elevated tee box and still challenging approach even from 100 yards out.

Par 4 - Oakmont #18  - something about walking up next to the pro's house and pro shop and seeing the gorgeous clubhouse in the background.  Best finishing hole that I have ever played or seen in person.

Par 3 - Calusa Pines #11 - Redan with water deep and multiple collection areas on front and right on possibly the fastest greens in Florida.  

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Eric Smith

« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »
Question: what was more epic, my eagle on 8, or the post-round hijinks that later ensued?

After all that fun, why you ordered the Captain I'll never understand.

Jud_T

« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2011, 01:36:49 PM »
To me the most fun and memorable holes are great short par 4's.  Probably Pac Dunes # 6 by a nose over Ballybunion #6 or Kingsley #13...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Emil Weber

« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »
4th at Barnbougle Dunes, a perfect hole.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:59:16 PM by Emil Weber »

Patrick_Mucci

Re:YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE HOLE
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2011, 09:13:19 PM »
Lou,

From the same course, picking a par 3, par 4 and par 5:

6 at NGLA
 8 at NGLA
18 at NGLA

I could play them exclusively for the rest of my life and enjoy every experience.

Just look at the variety and strategy they present

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »
Mine very well might be the 15th at TPC River Highlands.  I just love the heck out of that hole.  Perfect drivable par four.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John Kavanaugh

Re:YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE HOLE
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »
*Augusta National 13 - favorite
Pebble Beach 18
Harbour Town 17 & 18
Pine Valley 2, 8 (original green)
Pete Dye GC 7 (par 3)
Muirfield Village 14
Long Cove 3 & 15
Black Diamond Quarry 16
Haig Point 14
Secession 14
May River 6 &7
Cypress Point 17
Belfair-West 12

And many already mentioned.

R.I.P.  My friend. Reading your words quite by accident today took me back to better days.

Ben Sims

« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »
Holes that I both see genius in and think are very fun holes:

#6 at Palmetto
#7 at Ballyneal
#10 at Old Mac
#5 at Crystal Downs
#15 at Bandon Trails
#10 at Riviera
#4 at Pine Valley
#3 at Oakmont
#14 at Friars Head
#3 at Kingsley
#13 at Wolf Point
#16 at Plainfield
#2 at Talking Stick North

Off the top of my head those are my favorites.  The winner out of that bunch is either #14 at Friars Head or #7 at Ballyneal as my favorite in golf.

Bruce Hardie

« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2011, 01:09:56 AM »
Nothing new from me but just to join in.

4 at Barnbougle (including the walk to the 5th tee)
6 at Royal Melbourne West.

Matt Day

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2011, 02:18:52 AM »
I only walked it but the 9th at Cypress Point would be my favourite hole seen or played so far

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2011, 08:43:53 AM »
The short par 4, 7th at Sand Hills is my favorite. I have been lucky enough to play it a dozen or so times, and still can't figure out the best way. If I were offered the opportunity to go to Sand Hills, but with the caveat that I could only play one hole over and over again, I would still make the trek and spend my time trying to birdie 7.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »
The short par 4, 7th at Sand Hills is my favorite. I have been lucky enough to play it a dozen or so times, and still can't figure out the best way. If I were offered the opportunity to go to Sand Hills, but with the caveat that I could only play one hole over and over again, I would still make the trek and spend my time trying to birdie 7.

Can you drive the green in optimum conditions?  Of all the holes at Sand Hills I would guess the 7th requires the most talent to exploit.

Zack Molnar

« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2011, 09:08:29 AM »
Any of the par 3's at Camargo. The variety of the par 3's, and the enormity of the green complexes there, i could play any of them all day, and certainly never get bored. So many different shots to hit with different clubs(3 club difference on some holes from back to front pin locations) that it is always interesting, not to mention the lovely 50 foot putts you are left with when we all have that rare mishit  ;)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2011, 09:11:06 AM »
JNC, A bit of a nit, BUT... The 8th at BN does have a counter slope. The left side does slope towards the center. One can play a bump shot, starting left edge and have it break right. Avoiding the most left fronting pimple, a ball can get to my favorite pin position there, the middle back, just in front of the rear bunker, from the left. Good choice anyway.

My favorite... is of course, my next.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2011, 10:06:02 AM »
JK,
I am not sure if you are asking me personally, but I think in optimal conditions the green can be reached. I am not sure whether the green can be held though.  There is a huge front bunker that is in the direct line and makes going for the green all carry. I presume that a well played draw could get you close, but the slope to the right of the green would probably deflect the ball on the ground. I tried to drive it once, and buried myself in the huge front bunker. After about 3 sand attempts, I crossed using driver off of MY reasonable options. Luckily, there are many more options.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back