News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris DeNigris

Re: YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE HOLE
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »
# 1 at TOC- besides the obvious, because it's the gateway to the next 17.

# 4 at BPB- absent an ocean vista, are there many cooler views than walking down the slope after putting out on #3 and seeing the entire 4th open up in front of you?

CD

George Freeman

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2009, 10:24:59 PM »
Some of my favorites (too hard to pick just one)

Oakmont #9 (H.M. #3) - the green is one of the coolest things I've seen

Crystal Downs #13 (H.M. #5) - one of the most severe green complexes I've played, but oh so much fun

Kingsley Club #4 (H.M. #13) - I have yet so see a fairway with more movement than this hole...looks like ocean waves ricocheting off a breakwall.  And then there is the green!  60 yds long with multiple "areas" and half blind from most spots in the fairway.  Awesome

Franklin Hills #9 (H.M. #14) - Just an awsome looking Ross par 3.  Happens to play pretty well too

Pacific Dunes #13 (H.M. #18) - Best setting in golf at sunset?

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Leo Barber

Re:YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE HOLE
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2009, 11:03:43 PM »
For years my favorite was the fourth at Cruden Bay, not just for the golf shot, but for the village across the inlet and the whole scene.

However, my new favorite might be the 13th at Barnbougle Dunes, a 205-yard par-3 with my interpretation of MacKenzie's "Sitwell Park" green.  I've always wanted to do a green like that, and this was the perfect spot for it.

I have only played the hole twice now.  The second time, playing with Don Placek and Bruce Hepner and Brian Slawnik [in the loser's flight of our intercompany tournament], I saw Brian land a four wood fifteen feet behind the hole on a ridge and I immediately said "That could go in."  We all screamed and hollered at the ball for about ten seconds until it had stopped a foot behind the hole.

I can't wait to go back and try out another of the hole locations there.

Good choice Tom

Having read about this green prior to playing it I thought it may be one of those creations that was going to be a bit forced and contrived however I was pleasantly surprised and it couldn't have been more the opposite.  It is an incredibly clever piece of work (as is all the greens complexes at Barnbougle).  I played it three times over the two days and on my second round I had a similar experience to Brian but with a three iron to the pictured front right pin.  Another round I went to the left portion of the green and the only way to putt it close was to run it (as pictured above in the close up) left to right across the green, off the green and up the slope letting it run back and settle in the bowl next to the pin.  The thing I enjoyed with the complexes is that there was always a way and it was not always the most conventional or obvious.  Each time after we had finished out on this hole we probably kicked around on it for about 10 minutes trying out the various routes to the pin (for which there were infinite possibilities).

As for my favorite?  Many!  Anything purely strategic.  I love the short par 4s.  4th and 12th at Barnbougle, 15e (prior to the redevelopment), 10e at Royal Melbourne or of the longer 4s I have played, beauties such as 6w RM or 17th Paraparaumu Beach.  You can play each of these holes differently each time you play them depending on wind, form and pin placement.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »
Is there not a more spectacular hole then 16 at Cypress Point!?  What a wonderful golf hole.

The eighth and eighteenth at Pebble aren't so bad either.  I love the eighteenth.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2009, 11:53:47 PM »
From the time I was 13 years old, the 11th hole at Merion has always started my heart a-fluttering.

The main hazard is about 6-8 feet wide, it's a shortish par four, and truthfully, I wish there were still more tall trees left as backdrop setting to the green complex (there were certainly a number removed in recent years for understandable agronomic reasons), yet, I've never seen a picture of the hole that's failed to captivate me, I've never played it where reaching the tee doesn't speed the pulse, and there is no hole on the planet I take greater satisfaction from playing with any degree of competence.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2009, 12:09:31 AM »
Did I miss something or did no one mention Riviera #10?  Is there anything more reliably fun in golf than the short Par 4?  And is there a better short Par 4 in the world?

I have another nominee, that I like for purposes of discussion because it is never mentioned on anybody's list of great holes; Number 6 at Muirfield.  Like Tom Doak's characteristically thoughtful choice of The Pit hole at North Berwick-West, Number 6 at Muirfield also features a stone wall, although it is not much in play.  Still, my memory of that hole on a glorious East Lothian day was, "This is heaven on earth.  This is a place I'd like as my final resting place.  Like Gus McRae wanting to be buried under the pecan tree."

Jamie Barber

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2009, 04:58:15 AM »
#9 at RCD. Slieve Donard in the background  and the thrill as you climb over the dune to see the fairway below.

paul cowley

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2009, 06:33:09 AM »
Alas, one of my all time favorites is NLE.....the original Colt and Allison's Seaside #7....as superb a par four if ever there was.

An incredible combination of risk reward positioning combined with green size and options.....it remains firmly planted in my minds playbook.

I'm almost afraid to use it because I don't want to mess it up....preferring instead to let it rest there untarnished as a wonderful memory.

....but maybe one of these days before I myself become one......
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Bill_McBride

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »

But for a pure "favorite" I would go with The Pit, #13 at North Berwick.  Simple ingenuity and use of a native feature at its finest.  And it's a very easy hole, but you can still muck it up big-time.

You haven't lived a full life if you have never hit a wall at North Berwick. 

I've lived one fuller than most as I've hit the wall on #3 and on #13 too, both with second shots.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »
#9 at RCD. Slieve Donard in the background  and the thrill as you climb over the dune to see the fairway below.

Nice choice Jamie for all the good reasons.

Anthony

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2009, 03:27:37 PM »
#16 at NGLA . . . . .

Can anybody guess why?

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »
I cast another vote for #9 at RCD.  When you crest the dune with three good friends and stand there looking at the bay, the mountains, and the fairway below rolling away towards the town it has to stir the soul of any golfer.  Then you descend to face a terrific second shot between two bunkers to a wonderfully situated green in the hollow of some low dunes.  And, you are in Ireland!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2009, 06:04:39 PM »
#16 at NGLA . . . . .

Can anybody guess why?

Can't be the windmill because you see it on #2.

You're a sucker for punchbowl greens?  ;)

archie_struthers

« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2009, 06:16:23 PM »
 ;D 8) ;D

For me it's got to be the 5th at Portrush!  

To the left there is Calamity , behind you is the nasty par four aptly named Fred Daly .  In front of you is a stuning vista of sea and the old castle and one of the coolest links holes you could ever design.

Knock it over all the gorse and flora to a fairway just the perfect distance below and you can walk the right walk path, a trip straight out the movie Brigadoon.  As I took the trek I half expected a leprecaun  to jump out of the flowers .

It 's a stunning hole , and the memories are vivid.....

Anthony Gray

Re:YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE HOLE
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »
For years my favorite was the fourth at Cruden Bay, not just for the golf shot, but for the village across the inlet and the whole scene.

However, my new favorite might be the 13th at Barnbougle Dunes, a 205-yard par-3 with my interpretation of MacKenzie's "Sitwell Park" green.  I've always wanted to do a green like that, and this was the perfect spot for it.

I have only played the hole twice now.  The second time, playing with Don Placek and Bruce Hepner and Brian Slawnik [in the loser's flight of our intercompany tournament], I saw Brian land a four wood fifteen feet behind the hole on a ridge and I immediately said "That could go in."  We all screamed and hollered at the ball for about ten seconds until it had stopped a foot behind the hole.

I can't wait to go back and try out another of the hole locations there.

Good choice Tom

Having read about this green prior to playing it I thought it may be one of those creations that was going to be a bit forced and contrived however I was pleasantly surprised and it couldn't have been more the opposite.  It is an incredibly clever piece of work (as is all the greens complexes at Barnbougle).  I played it three times over the two days and on my second round I had a similar experience to Brian but with a three iron to the pictured front right pin.  Another round I went to the left portion of the green and the only way to putt it close was to run it (as pictured above in the close up) left to right across the green, off the green and up the slope letting it run back and settle in the bowl next to the pin.  The thing I enjoyed with the complexes is that there was always a way and it was not always the most conventional or obvious.  Each time after we had finished out on this hole we probably kicked around on it for about 10 minutes trying out the various routes to the pin (for which there were infinite possibilities).

As for my favorite?  Many!  Anything purely strategic.  I love the short par 4s.  4th and 12th at Barnbougle, 15e (prior to the redevelopment), 10e at Royal Melbourne or of the longer 4s I have played, beauties such as 6w RM or 17th Paraparaumu Beach.  You can play each of these holes differently each time you play them depending on wind, form and pin placement.

Leo,

Welcome and thanks for the love for Cruden Bay.

Anthony

Tim Leahy

« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2009, 01:19:24 PM »
Is there not a more spectacular hole then 16 at Cypress Point!?  What a wonderful golf hole.

The eighth and eighteenth at Pebble aren't so bad either.  I love the eighteenth.

I immediately thought of the 8th and 18th at Pebble too. I have not played the 16 at Cypress yet but I am sure that would jump to the top of my list.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »
Can't wait until the 2015 US Open when the golf world learns that one of the best views in all of golf can be had from the 9th tee at Chambers Bay.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Woodger

« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2009, 10:44:02 PM »
favourite hole: 3 at deal. i don't think i will ever master that hole but regardless it will always be fun.

best 4 links holes:
13,14,15,16 again at deal.
yes i am clearly biased.  ;D

best 4 non links:
bethpage black 10-13

Adam Russell

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2009, 11:10:26 PM »
The first hole that came to me was #12 at Augusta.
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »
I’m going to revive an old thread for my first post because I agree with Ben Sims when he said “it does an amazing job of juxtaposing strategy, setting, and tactical shot value much better than just talking about an entire course.”  Further I think when a favorite hole is described it provides insight into what an individual values in a hole.  I hope some more folks will provide their favorite holes and likely expect some who previously posted to have an updated all time favorite hole (maybe Tom Doak will provide a 3rd different all time favorite hole).

My favorite hole is the 8th at Pebble Beach.  Unfortunately I’m not bringing anything new to this thread with that answer.  As I count 8 at Pebble has been listed in the thread 9 times (Merion 16 and AGNC 13 both listed 4 times) and listed as a top favorite five times (RCD 9 listed three times, Machrihanish 3, North Berwick 13, Old Course 1 and Pinehurst 5 and all listed two times).

So why is 8 at Pebble my favorite hole?  I think it is a combination of scenic beauty, nostalgia, history, great design, and honestly probably the fact that others regard it highly. 

Anytime I stand on the tee with a driver in hand and a giant cliff/ocean on the right I hesitate as my miss with a driver is to the right (like most).  In reality with the line that I try to play the ocean isn’t really in play on the tee shot unless I put a serious slice on the ball.  The first time I played the hole I missed right of my desired line, due to a bit of a fade, and the rough held my ball from going over the cliff which (a 250ish drive if I’m not mistaken). 

Every time I walk up to my ball after the tee shot I can’t help but have a huge smile on my face.  The approach at 8 is probably my favorite shot in golf.  The green looks to be surrounded by bunkers (I never played out of any of the bunkers in the six times I’ve played) and I always had a mid-long iron in hand.  For some reason I feel like the shot looks longer than it really is and certainly it looks longer than it plays (I assume due to the small size of the green and the loss of elevation).  Despite the fact that I miss my tee shots right I miss my irons left.  A miss long left can be a real problem as I found out on my second round.  The shot left me in some ugly rough, downhill lie to a small green sloping away.  Once on the green finishing is no cake walk.

My favorite part of the hole is when it’s done and you look back to the tee.  The view is my favorite view on any golf course, there really isn’t anything I can say to do it justice.  I spent almost an entire day during the practice rounds of the 2010 US Open sitting in the grandstand behind the green at 8 with my wife enjoying the view.

To summarize: I'm simple minded and like pretty things but also want to be challenged.

As a side note in my rough tabulation of the information in this thread I thought it was interesting an 8th hole was listed 26 times (followed by a 17th hole listed 18 times).  I’ve read that the ideal design builds through a climax to end each 9 similar to a great classical music composition.  When looking at the single favorite hole a 9th hole is listed most with eight single favorite references (a 5th, 8th and 13th are listed six times each as the single favorite hole).  No one lists an 18th hole as their single favorite hole and the second hole seems to be the neglected hole (not a single person lists a second hole as their favorite and 2nd holes received the fewest mentions of any hole with only 2 mentioned).

When reviewing courses mentioned  Pebble (12), Cypress(11) and Pacific (10) are the three course that reach double digit mentions.  The Old Course, Pacific Dunes and Cypress each had six different holes listed (NGLA, Pine Valley and Merion each had five different holes).

Mac Plumart

« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2011, 07:29:36 PM »
As of right now, 16 at Askernish is my favorite.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2011, 09:13:36 PM »
The 10th at Turnberry Ailsa.

Unlike the tee shots of Ailsa 9 and Pebble 8, both of which I found mildly disappointing, the 10th is fully blooded and bluidy braw. The angle off the tee conspires with the visible green and outright length of the hole to tempt one down the dangerous left side.

Two centerline bunkers narrow this left-side tiger route the farther one drives, but the payoff for a successful drive is an easier second shot: a reverse Woking 4 strategy.

Even if you've succeed down the left, there's still plenty that can go wrong: even from the left, the second shot is "fun," in the Presbyterian sense.

The fundamental choice, then, in either match or medal, is to risk the left side on both shots for a great score, or take the higher road to the right. I imagine more than one golfer has claimed the hole with a 5. Or 6.

What makes the hole my favorite, though, goes well beyond the architecture. The setting alone is godsmacking beautiful, a testament as good as any to whatever, wherever, whoever you believe in. Natural (Ailsa Craig, sea, coast) and manmade (golf holes, lighthouse).

And then -- best of all perhaps -- the history! Here is history every way you could want it. There's Robert the Bruce, hero to the Scottish people. Duel in the Sun in '77 and Watson waking the echoes in '09.

Lastly, as you walk up 10 you notice the monument on the hill to the right. And if you climb that hill you will find it's a memorial, to those who died on this land while training to be pilots in war.

So there's great golf on this hole and at the same time there's so much more going on. Take it all in: when you walk the 10th, you'll never walk alone.

PS, did I mention the brook laddie? http://www.bruichladdich-collection.com/2011/04/23/bruichladdich-links-series-four-turnberry-10th/

Ian Andrew

« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »

The 6th at The Creek Club

Someone mentioned that we should explain why, so......

The tee shot appears fairly simple because there is tons of room out on the right and the bunker barely comes into play. The problem with that play is from that angle you’re pretty much dead. You really need to be on the left to have a reasonable chance at approaching the green. The forest on the left of the hole defends the ideal line and a shot into the forest is a lost shot. Therefore you must hit a light draw around the tree line to gain position on the flatter plateau for the approach.

The approach is a stunner. The green is a reverse redan (falling hard to the back and right) and Raynor has lifted the surrounds to create a punchbowl setting for the green too. This is the most unique and wonderful green complex I know. The shot is a fade into the throat in front of the green to access the front pin, or a play to the front of the green to access the back pin position. The ball will release and run a long way from both spots. The joy of the hole is that it uses the rambling hillside to define the locations of the landing area and then a perfect natural ridge to find the green site. Since the hole goes with the grade the whole way everything blends in magnificently.

Why this one... becuae Raynor had the audacity to go one very blod step further than anyone lese would dare and it made the green site magical. I wish I designed this hole.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
I'm mentioned this before, but the Par 5 8th hole at Crystal Downs is one of the very few Par 5s I have ever liked, the only one I've ever loved, and probably the best golf hole I have ever played. The length seems to me just the right length for a Par 5; the dogleg seems to be just the right angle; the uphill-ness of the second (and third shots) and the rumpled fairway adds interest and challenge and charm; the small but wonderful green and surrounds fit just right with the hole, and would be a fine green/surround on just about any hole, anywhere; and the strategy-demands-beauty-naturalness equation seems, well, perfect, and perfectly balanced.

Peter 

Mark Johnson

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »
couldnt get down to one.  Top 5 (in no particular order)

#7 At Princeville
#18 at Butler National
#16 at Kauai Lagoons (hole number may have changed with the remodel)
#16 at Hazeltine
#14 at Bandon Trails

Honorable Mention / Guilty Pleaure:  #3 at Chaska Town Course

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back