News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Re: YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE HOLE
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2009, 06:20:12 PM »
Collective,

Revive this post!

It does an amazing job of juxtaposing strategy, setting, and tactical shot value much better than just talking about an entire course.  I'd be interested to see what a lot of the more respected members say in reference to their favorite hole and why.  I'll begin with my favorite that Ive played and favorite I haven't played:

#10 Bottle, Old MacDonald:  The bunkering does exactly what he name implies, it creates a chute.  The run-up game is only available from the left side of the fairway, which is obviously the side that is hardest to get to from the tee.  If you are short and right, the green is protected by a large swale that runs up to what I'll now call a "no-front" on the front right of the green. The putting surface is connected to the green on #5 Short, which was the first dual green I'd ever played.  It slopes back left to front right, so spinning a ball off the front is a real possibility.  Freakin' unbelievable golf hole.  Bandon Trails #15 is a close second

#5, Crystal Downs: I haven't played it, but it and the 10th at Riviera are my two all time wish lists for what a golf hole should be.  #15 at Old Mac, and anything at NGLA are also on this list.

Damon Groves

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 09:59:27 PM »
Of courses I have played.....(in no particular order)

Number 16 at Bandon Dunes
Number 6 at Pacific Dunes
Number 13 at Pacific Dunes
Number 11 at Pacific Dunes
Number 11 at Pasatiempo
Number 16 at Pasatiempo
Number 11 at Los Angeles Country Club North
What will be number 8 at Old Macdonald
Number 7 at Ballyneal
Number 3 at Rustic Canyon
Number 12 at Rustic Canyon
Number 17 at Hualalai

John Mayhugh

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »
Thanks to Ben for reviving this thread. It was before my time on GCA and I've enjoyed reading it.

Mine has to be the first at NGLA. So many possibilities off the tee, challenging approach no matter the club, and an amazing green complex. Not to mention an incredible view and as in Gene's example the start of a sublime next few hours.

Runner up - could you ever tire of the walk up 18 at TOC?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »
9 RCD

Bill_McBride

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2009, 10:38:51 PM »
The Long Hole #14 at the Old Course is still my favorite.  So many ways to play it, so many obstacles.  I love Dr Mackenzie's graphic of how players A, B, C and D can play the hole.  Not sure what letter I am but I like to play the tee shot out to the left, avoiding the Beardies, then play left of Hell and hit a bump and run third up and ...........yes.........onto the green.  Walking off the Long Hole with a par is a wonderful feeling.   ;D

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »
Par 3 - #3 @ Pasatiempo
Par 4 - #12 @ Calusa Pines (Got engaged on this hole :) )
Par 5 - #9 @ Interlachen (18 for the Women's Open)
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Anthony Gray

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2009, 06:12:23 PM »

OK Lou my friend I will have to agree with you that PB 8 is my favorite in all of golf. I even got engaged one time from the 9th tee overlooking the 8th green. AND It is still my favorte after the bitter divorce.

It is simply an awesome hole. Architects live for that landscape. I HAVE NEVER PARED the hole in about 15 attempts, but it is still my favorite hole in the world.

Anthony

Craig Sweet

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2009, 07:30:34 PM »
The 10th at Rock Creek Cattle Company and the 7th at Ekwanok...both offer everything you could want in a par 5..
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2009, 08:01:51 PM »
Number 11 at Pacific Dunes.   Bliss.  And a helluva hole too.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2009, 08:10:41 PM »
Great thread !

Number 16 at Philadelphia Country Club before the rerouting, which makes it now the first hole, was the best in the Flynn routing for that finish. 

It is lost to my now favorite, number 3 at Kittansett.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2009, 08:43:10 PM »
My favorites are 2 short par-4s: Winged Foot West #6 and Quaker Ridge #11 for very different reasons. And a the par-3 #17 at Bandon Trails... I could hit tee shots at that hole forever!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2009, 11:05:40 PM »
Let me take it one step further:
Par 3:  Pacific Dunes #11
Par 4:  Merion East #16
Par 5:  Augusta National #13

Favorite hole I play often:
#2 at French Creek - one of the most beautiful inland holes I've ever played.

Ben Sims

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2009, 12:35:11 AM »
I'll revise.  Holes I've actually played

Par 3: #12, Bandon Dunes
Par 4: #10 Bottle, Old Mac
Par 5: #17, Stone Eagle

It looks as if I need more experience playing courses....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2009, 07:13:07 AM »
Ben,
I've never played Augusta, but I've been there for the tun-a-mint.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2009, 09:06:16 AM »
Funny I started reading this thread as if it were a new one. Thinking the whole time about the 9th @ cpc. Now its a toss up with the combos of 8 and 9 @ cypress with the 7th and 8th @ Ballyneal. Those new clean bunker lines near Carmel clearly give the edge to Holyoke.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »
I see a lot of favorite holes being mentioned but not too much detail input as to why...   ???

I think we can do much better.  How about some meat to explaining why these are favorite holes?

As for any favorite of my own ... I'm not sure at this point.  I tend to prefer and favor a sequence of holes.  I'll have to think a little on this one.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Carl Nichols

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2009, 11:10:15 AM »
My favorites are 2 short par-4s: Winged Foot West #6 and Quaker Ridge #11 for very different reasons. And a the par-3 #17 at Bandon Trails... I could hit tee shots at that hole forever!

Jaeger:
I'm curious for your thinking behind WFW #6.  A pretty good hole on a great course, certainly, but your favorite hole (or at least one of your top 3) of all time?  It's neither my favorite hole at WFW (#10 is my favorite, and I like others over #6) nor my favorite short par 4 of those I've played (I prefer at least Pac Dunes #6, Cuscowilla #5, and Merion #10)....

Anthony Gray

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2009, 11:11:33 AM »

Patrick,

PB 8 is visually stuning and demanding. The forced carry secound shot is the greatest in the world. The views from the tee and green are secound to none that I have played.

Anthony

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2009, 07:52:06 PM »
Carl - WFW #6.... I spent a few days sitting up on the tee during the last open there, watching tons of groups come through, and just loved it! I loved watching the pros make bogie or worse from 20 yards on a regular basis. I think what I really enjoyed the most about it though was the interactions between a few of the pros and the gallery during the practice rounds, in particular watching Darren Clark trying to pull a guy out of the crowd to hit a drive, after he gave Darren some $hit for not reaching once in a doze tries..... This past week I actually found one of Darren's lost balls at his home course outside london, Taylor red #60 (his lowest round ever) and has a clover as well.

So this hole just brings back some great memories for me, but if I had to pick one of my short par 4's to play over and over again, it would be #11 at Quaker.

Shane Wright

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2009, 08:16:10 PM »
a very fun topic, but very difficult to choose...I'll have to go with my favorite hole from my 5 favorite courses and a couple of other great ones

no order

1. #4 Royal County Down
2. #11 Ballybunion
3.  #13 Pacific Dunes
4.  #8 Prairie Dunes
5.  #14 Royal Dornoch

Other honorable mentions

1. #17 Sand Hills
2. #5 Bethpage
3. #12 Kingsbarns
4. #13 Muirfield
5. #14 Portrush
6. #14 St. Andrew's
6.  #12 - Minikahda Club - Minneapolis - definitely one of the best par 5's I've ever played. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2009, 08:34:38 PM »
My justifications are the sexyness and multiple options.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »
When I saw this and thought to myself, "Just one hole?  Are they serious?", I forgot it was an old thread and I'd already answered it.

Worse yet, I have not been back to Barnbougle in 4 1/2 years to play my choice again, so it was not the first hole I thought of this time.

For a "best" golf hole, I think I would nominate the 8th at Crystal Downs.  I've never seen a hole that rewarded position play so well without resorting to bunkers.  (There are a couple of bunkers up at the green, but they are pretty inconsequential.)  The one big tree in the corner of the dogleg does help, though.

But for a pure "favorite" I would go with The Pit, #13 at North Berwick.  Simple ingenuity and use of a native feature at its finest.  And it's a very easy hole, but you can still muck it up big-time.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2009, 09:40:37 PM »
Wow- what a tough call,     Par 3 - 15th at Ballybunion,  Par 4- 11th at Merion,  Par 5 - 18th at Beverly-sentimental choice -but a very fine test as 3 shotters go.    The list could go on and on.     Jack

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »
How about my top five?

#12 at Franklin Hills

#4 at Old Elm

#13 at Augusta

#10 at Merion

#14 at Olympia Fields

J_ Crisham

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2009, 09:47:24 PM »
When I saw this and thought to myself, "Just one hole?  Are they serious?", I forgot it was an old thread and I'd already answered it.

Worse yet, I have not been back to Barnbougle in 4 1/2 years to play my choice again, so it was not the first hole I thought of this time.

For a "best" golf hole, I think I would nominate the 8th at Crystal Downs.  I've never seen a hole that rewarded position play so well without resorting to bunkers.  (There are a couple of bunkers up at the green, but they are pretty inconsequential.)  The one big tree in the corner of the dogleg does help, though.

But for a pure "favorite" I would go with The Pit, #13 at North Berwick.  Simple ingenuity and use of a native feature at its finest.  And it's a very easy hole, but you can still muck it up big-time.
Tom,  Interesting that you choose 8 over 1, 5, 6 or 7 at CD. The bunker to the right of the green is inconsequential only if you are not in it. I unfortunately was. Too many great holes at CD to pick the best in my Opinion.      Jack
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 09:59:56 PM by Jack Crisham »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back