News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re:YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE HOLE
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2004, 03:19:07 PM »
John

Excellent good call!  Have you ever spoofed for drinks?  What would be your favorite sequence of at least 4 links holes?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Andy Hodson

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2004, 04:22:55 PM »
One immediate favorite played for the first time this year:

#17 Plantation Course Kapalua

The tee shot is nothing short of a blast to hit.

John_Cullum

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2004, 09:36:41 AM »
Saen,

So glad you approve. I was hoping for that. Spoofing for drinks? Well, not by that name anyway. I gather its similar to liar's poker, with which I have considerable experience.

4 hole links stretch????

15-18 The Old Course

or

pick any 4 hole stretch between 10 thru 17 (inclusive) at North Berwick

or

1 thru 4 at Prestwick

I'll think some more. But this is Lou's thread, and I frown upon threadjacking.

Chow
Sarge

« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 11:25:05 AM by John Cullum »
Raynor was a hack

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2004, 11:16:54 AM »
My all-time favorite hole had to be the first at Cypress Point. The anticipation of the remainding, being the great aspect.

#9 is one I really want to have a repeat appearance on.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2004, 12:03:21 PM »
So many holes, it is really impossible but here is my attempt

Favourite short par 3...#8 Troon
........... medium par 3..#12 Royal Birkdale
............ long  par 3....#17 Merion/#5 Pine valley

Favourite short par 4.....#8 Pine Valley/#8 CPC
........... medium par 4....#17 Cypress Point
............long par 4......#16/18 Merion..#17 St Andrews..

favourite short par5...# 13 Augusta National
..............long par 5...# 15 Pine Valley

Best opening hole...#1 Royal Birkdale
Best Finishing hole..# 18 Merion

Best practice area...Briggs Ranch
Best cluhouse...The R&A

ian

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2004, 12:17:35 PM »
The 5th at Crystal Downs.

It is a hole nobody will design today, and it is a hole without any clear way of playing it. At 355 yards you think it should be a pushover, but something about the hole is brilliant because it defies you at every turn.

I wish I had designed that hole.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2004, 12:17:53 PM »
#9 at Yale

TEPaul

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2004, 09:48:06 AM »
Tom Doak said:

"However, my new favorite might be the 13th at Barnbougle Dunes, a 205-yard par-3 with my interpretation of MacKenzie's "Sitwell Park" green.  I've always wanted to do a green like that, and this was the perfect spot for it.
I have only played the hole twice now.  The second time, playing with Don Placek and Bruce Hepner and Brian Slawnik [in the loser's flight of our intercompany tournament], I saw Brian land a four wood fifteen feet behind the hole on a ridge and I immediately said "That could go in."  We all screamed and hollered at the ball for about ten seconds until it had stopped a foot behind the hole."

TomD:

When you describe a green like that and also say it's your interpretation of a Mackenzie green at Sitwell Park, I assume you mean the incredibly radically contoured green that the course and Mackenzie became so infamous or famous for.

I'd like to know how you constructed something similiar to that today whereby the contours or the "transition grades" weren't so severe that it would be possible to transition a putt or a recovery shot from one section to another successfully. Is the 13th at Barnbougle an enormous greenspace?

Jason Topp

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2004, 10:04:21 AM »
13 at N. Berwick

Cory Lewis

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2004, 11:09:10 AM »
#5 at Pinehurst No.2, best hole ever.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

JDoyle

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2004, 02:12:33 PM »
The 4th at Fishers Island.  Nothing like an Alps and Punchbowl combo-hole along the ocean.  I can't recall a par four with more options.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2004, 03:03:09 PM »
   Must put in a word for my other home course.  The three ocean par threes at Teeth of the Dog - #'s 5,7 and 16.  Doak called them (with #13) the best set of par threes in the world. I can't imagine any better (with apologies to PV, Merion and Pac. Dunes).

Ted Kramer

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2004, 03:10:56 PM »
Mock me if you must, but if we are talking favorites, I have to go with #13 at Lido. I've played so much golf at Lido and I have so many great memories from that course, it would be tough to pick a favorite from anywhere else.

The only other hole that I would consider calling my favorite would be #4 at the Black. I've played a lot of golf there too, and that is one heck of a hole.

-Ted
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 03:11:37 PM by Ted Kramer »

David_Madison

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2004, 04:04:39 PM »
The fifth hole at Pinehurst #2.

It's not the world's most spectacularly beautiful hole, but visually good enough. But when it comes to requiring great ball striking off the tee and then into the green, acute recovery skills if you miss the green, and then a wonderful putting touch, I know of no hole that fairly examines one's game as well as this hole does.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2004, 04:18:55 PM »
Somebody is going to laugh at me for this, but:

13 at Tobacco Road

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2004, 04:50:09 PM »
It as always 8 at Pebble and 15 at Cypress. But 11 at TOC, several at Mach and Cruden Bay, 13 at Pacific Dunes, 8 at Pacific Dunes, 6 at Bandon. The 7th and 8th at Troon, 5 and 15 at Turnberry, and it goes on and on.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2004, 05:13:44 PM »
I don't have one all-time favorite.

One of my all-time favorites is NLE: the original 17th at Hazeltine -- a 345-yard (if memory serves) par-4, with a fairly sharply uphill tee shot to a narrow saddle (upside-down saddle, that is) of a landing area, with trees on the left and trees and a creek on the right, leading to a slightly uphill approach to a rolling green, with ponds left and short right (as they remain for the current par-3 17th).

I played Hazeltine often (and not well), in those days -- in the years just before and after Tony Jacklin won the U.S. Open there ... a victory that featured a beautiful running recovery shot from the woods to the left, between the ponds, up onto the green into birdie range. (If I remember correctly, it was the 3rd round -- and he made the putt.)

What I loved about the hole (and still do love about good short par-4s, in general) is that a high-school kid with a mid-level handicap could par (or birdie!) it with well-played shots, and a PGA Tour pro could double it with an inadequate drive or approach.

I think it was PJ Boatwright who, on the USGA's behalf, told the powers at Hazeltine that if they ever wanted to host another Open, that hole had to go.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John_Lovito

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2004, 05:26:53 PM »
Par 3 - Shinny #11
Par 4 - Pebble #8
Par 5 - Plainfield #12

Gene Greco

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2004, 10:48:16 PM »
#1 at Sand Hills and at Cypress Point........................

because I know at that point that the next three hours will be among the best which my life will have to offer.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Robert Thompson

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2004, 11:07:03 PM »
I have to say the 7th at Highlands Links, Killiecrankie, is the best par five I've ever played, even if some prefer the 6th.
I thought the 16th at Merion was amazing, and think the 4th at Pacific Dunes is awe inspiring in its simplicity and greatness
As for abroad, I've got to say I was dazzled by the 8th at Turnberry, the 8th at Dornoch, the 4th at Cruden Bay and the 12th at Kingsbarns.

Robert
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

mike_beene

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2004, 11:12:03 PM »
I must defend mine in advance,for many claim it weak.It doesn't have sand or rough.But it is the combination of a public park in front of a private building.In 100 years people will look at our pictures in front of the R & A just as we look at those 100 years ago.And there are always spectators to share the joy of the present.It's brought us Sanders and Rocco and Nicklaus.Go stand in the valley of sin on a summer midnight and see the glow of the last sun rays to the north.Anyone who prefers housing development cartball is ,I think ,missing the soul of the game.Sorry for the ramble.

james soper

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2004, 11:12:08 AM »
#17- Seminole- Tough as nails, pretty as a picture.
#17- Secession-   "                   "                     ".
#17- Wade Hampton- "              "                     ".
#17- TPC Sawgrass-  "              "                     ".
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 11:19:52 AM by james soper »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2004, 03:32:57 PM »
Gene -

I was thinking the same thing about those two holes. Since one is a 4 and one is a 5 my favorite 3 is #10 at Friar's Head and just hope I started on the back 9 ;D.
Mr Hurricane

Dan Kelly

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2004, 03:42:44 PM »
I must defend mine in advance,for many claim it weak.It doesn't have sand or rough.But it is the combination of a public park in front of a private building.In 100 years people will look at our pictures in front of the R & A just as we look at those 100 years ago.And there are always spectators to share the joy of the present.It's brought us Sanders and Rocco and Nicklaus.Go stand in the valley of sin on a summer midnight and see the glow of the last sun rays to the north.Anyone who prefers housing development cartball is ,I think ,missing the soul of the game.Sorry for the ramble.

Mike --

No need to defend or apologize! That's a GREAT choice.

I've been there only once -- in early November, with a very cold rain blowing hard into my face ... and it was my third, not my second, that my very cold hands bumped down through the Valley of Sin and back up onto the green, to about 4 feet. (Did I make the putt? I don't think I did -- but who cares? I didn't then, and I don't now!)

There was no one hanging over the fence -- but the guys over on the 1st tee gave that little runner a fine ovation. Which was nice.

Had I ever been there late on a summer's night, it might well be my favorite hole, too.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 03:43:53 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

mike_beene

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2004, 12:10:45 AM »
Dan,those who applauded you at least had the decency to look away when I managed to snap hook it ob on #1.Yes Ian Baker-Finch isn't the only one.It just occurred to me that my most embarassing moment in golf really happened on my favorite hole,I just wasn't playing it at that time.I managed to hit my 4th shot with a 9 iron 23 yards thanks to a courteous partner stepping it off for historical purposes.The people on the rail would not make eye contact .Now ,with my pride gone,
I proceeded to have as good a ball striking round as I can remember.What an exposing game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back