News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE HOLE
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2011, 10:09:11 AM »
I only walked it but the 9th at Cypress Point would be my favourite hole seen or played so far
It's a great hole.  But not as good as the hole immediately before.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »
I have a tie.  My two (from the back tees) are:

Sand Hills #4.  Long, great approach, great green, 3 story bunker for approach shots missed left...almost fatal.  Ground game open in front.  Elevated green pitched from back to front.  Backstop for shots missed right.  Par is a victory!  VCH = Very Challenging Hole
Dismal River #18  Visually outstanding!  Long uphill drive, leaves opportunity (even for us old guys) for long uphill second shot to reach her in two, or a layup.  Ground game open to right and rear.  Downwind - a 4-1/2.  Great ending.   VFH = Very Fun Hole.

Both can go from relatively easy to excruciating where par is a challenge, mostly due to wind.  Multiple personalities!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2011, 11:39:09 AM »
As of now, No. 2 at Ardglass.  Par three, 160/167, uphill, over doom and generally against the wind.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:41:37 AM by Carl Johnson »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
JME - no desire to visit Japan. I need to do some of the older European courses and visit Ireland. Six times to Australia but never visited Ireland.
Cave Nil Vino

Anthony Gray

« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »

PB 8 takes the prize for me,but there is no greater joy in golf than playing the first at TOC.

Anthony

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »
Tough to narrow it down to one, so here goes a dozen:

Lahinch - 6
Ballyneal - 7
RMW - 3
Kingsley - 13
Barnbougle - 4
PB - 8
Pac Dunes - 11
RCD - 9
Bandon Trails - 15
Old Mac - 3
Lost Farm - 5
Yale - 10
[and of course, Prairie Bluffs - 6 (site of my only ace)]
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Chris Johnston

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »
Choosing one single hole as my all-time favorite was a fairly difficult task. Difficult due to the fact that it took up way too much of my time trying to select the one true favorite. But, I already spend a lot of time with the trappings of this website so I jumped in and wrestled around with more than a few great ones and the one that rises to the top is #8 at Ballyneal.

Eric - that is a great Picture - it looks fun..  If we had a green like that, I'd be hung by the members here!  Ridiculous!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2011, 06:20:08 PM »
The short par 4, 7th at Sand Hills is my favorite. I have been lucky enough to play it a dozen or so times, and still can't figure out the best way. If I were offered the opportunity to go to Sand Hills, but with the caveat that I could only play one hole over and over again, I would still make the trek and spend my time trying to birdie 7.

Can you drive the green in optimum conditions?  Of all the holes at Sand Hills I would guess the 7th requires the most talent to exploit.

I drove the green with 3 wood before. Actually the ball was just off the back. I have hit the ball in the high stuff over too. JK, you certainly could reach the green. Favorite hole there.

I still like #7 at Rock Creek better though.
Mr Hurricane

Matt Day

« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »
I only walked it but the 9th at Cypress Point would be my favourite hole seen or played so far
It's a great hole.  But not as good as the hole immediately before.
8 looked pretty good as well, but the 9th is my favourite (not best) hole I've seen.

Will Lozier

« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2011, 08:30:01 PM »
I like the par-3/4/5 format on courses I have played...including two per category distinguished by length

Par 3
Long - #16 Cypress Point - great beauty, tremendous strategy with VERY different options, extremely varying conditions, and the greatest golf architect of all time had to be convinced of it's feasibility by a woman!
Short - #10 Pacific Dunes - hard to beat oceanside short holes; caddied for players needing 5-iron one day and punch 9 the next; great green complex.

Par 4
Long - #16 Deal (as a 4 par) - maybe the greatest green complex in the UK - you must THINK very carefully on every shot; unbelievable match play hole in that 5 might be a great score into a gust (while 6 might very well win the hole!).
Short - #9 Cypress Point - again, per the Doctor, strategy is king - driver or 4-iron?

Par 5
Long - #7 Ekwanok (sans cart path!) - you really can't believe your eyes stepping on the tee; main drawback is lack of risk/reward in going for green in two as it cannot be reached.
Short - #15 Highland Links - tough to find a par 5 that gets the heart pumping any more on the tee where hopes are so high; tremendous view and unbelievable terrain; wonderful strategic hole as well.

I'm sure I'll change my mind in the next 5 minutes...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2011, 09:14:02 PM »
Today, I'm loving Sand Hills #17 - This is one of the best par 3's I've ever seen.  Genius....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2011, 12:02:49 AM »
Today, I'm loving Sand Hills #17 - This is one of the best par 3's I've ever seen.  Genius....

Genius?  Why?  I get beautiful but it seems to have one option, hit the green. 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »
3rd at National Golf Links of America
17th at The Old Course
12th at The Old Course (Love/Hate)
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
11th at Ballybunion.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »
Adopting Will's (very sensible approach):

Short par 3:  15 at CPC  (runner up, by a fine hair, 13 at Muirfield, as a short par 3)
Long par 3: 13 at Crail Balcomie

Short par : 8 at CPC (runner up, also by a fine hair, 14 at Ganton)
Long par 4: 17 at TOC

Short par 5:  16 at RCP
Long par 5: 5 at Muirfield

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »
It would be too hard for me to pick my clear favorite hole, but IMO the best underated golf hole which really surprised me was the 8th hole Turnberry Kintyre.  Its a fairly narrow chute to the green with 2 great spectacle bunkers, a great green site in the cove, and an AWESOME view out to the sea.  I played when the sun was setting and it was fabulous.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2011, 05:39:32 PM »
It feels nearly impossible to cut it down to just one hole but if I am pushed at this moment in time I would have to say the winner is;

14th at Royal Dornoch

The placement of the green in the dunes combined with the angle of the tee shot just seems like the work of genius, so simple yet it makes the hole so interesting, challenging and fun!

Others than come close would be;

Par 3's -    2nd Royal Dornoch
                7th Sherwood Forest
                7th Barnbougle Dunes
                8th Royal Aberdeen
                11th St Andrews Old
                15th Kingston Heath

Par 4's -   2nd Notts
                3rd Kingston Heath
                4th Woodlands
                4th Barnbougle Dunes
                12th St Andrews Old
                13th North Berwick

Par 5's -    6th Carnoustie
                14th St Andrews Old

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back