News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Will the British Open telecast
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »
JME,

I think the financial crunch has led to a competition for members that's often more about window dressing than substance.

And, I'd agree that pleasing prospective members seems to be taking priority over satisfying existing members.

I do recall a great golf course that kept their fairway so wet we refered to it as a cemetery.
Beautiful to look at, but, you wouldn't want to play it.
Fortunately, that course transitioned toward playability.  It took years, but, the results were dramatic.
Now, the course plays F&F and has a waiting list, while other area courses are desperate for members.

We've had a very wet spring, so most courses in the NE were very green, but, the membership gets it.  Not eveyone, but those who are invested in and in charge of the golf course get it and so does a great percentage of the membership.

Distance seems to be THE critical factor.  As Shivas says, "chicks dig the long ball"  The appeal to F&F is longer drives.
As golfers age, they shorten up.  Wet courses make them even shorter.

The USGA is appealing to golfers to play from forward tees.
Why not appeal to F&F conditions, allowing golfers to maintain their pride and get more distance.

NO ONE, repeat NO ONE wants to embrace the aging process.
We're all in denial in one form or another.
Playing from the tees we've been playing from for decades is a form of denial.

Make courses F&F and golfers can continue playing from their favorite tees, thumbing their nose at Father Time and pursuing par with a vengence.

End of rant. ;D

JMEvensky

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »

Not eveyone, but those who are invested in and in charge of the golf course get it and so does a great percentage of the membership.

The USGA is appealing to golfers to play from forward tees.
Why not appeal to F&F conditions, allowing golfers to maintain their pride and get more distance.

To your first comment,this is just the "benevolent dictator" approach in a more approachable form.We have already agreed to agree on this idea.

It's your second comment which causes me to rant.The USGA has many opportunities to comment on stupid/wasteful maintenance practices.They could,if they wanted,insist that NBC set aside a few minutes during the Open broadcast.

Film a 3 minute PSA using their own turfgrass division and the Supers association and show it rather than the guy sitting at a halfway house waiting for the rain to stop.Have Mike Davis explain why ANGC is sui generis and not a club whose golf course is possible to emulate(he could do it tactfully).Have their top turfgrass guy explain that some maintenance practices are just pissing away money.

Only the USGA has the stroke to fight this battle.There's no Titleist or Callaway waiting to file a lawsuit.Getting back to more reasonable maintenance budgets qualifies as "for the good of the game".

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »
JME,

I agree that more could be done by the USGA to promote F&F.

They're the only ones that clubs seem to listen to.

But, I wonder, how many participants and lurkers on this site have had intelligent discussions with their Green Chairman, Green Committee Members, President, Board Members and superintendents engaging in the movement to faster & firmer conditions at their course

William_G

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 10:29:10 PM »
After reading how Rory and other pros are excited about getting to the PGA tour and more normal weather and conditions, as well as other pros who don't even go to the Open, I'd have to say that Northern Ireland would be great, but who would show up!
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back