News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Re:Injuries/Winter/Time to Study?
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2004, 02:50:24 PM »
Mr. Moore:

I am used to having year-round temperate weather, which allows me to play golf whenever I want, for the most part.   My question was what does a golf addict do when weather does not allow him to play for long stretches at a time.  I'm talking about snow-covered CLOSED golf courses.

That is what I meant.

This is not deep in any way.  OBVIOUSLY.

;D

Michael Moore

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2004, 02:54:56 PM »
Go skiiing on 'em ! ! !
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2004, 02:56:47 PM »
Why winter needs to be dealt with:

I almost fell on my ass a half-dozen times while negotiating the ridiculously icy streets and sidewalks of St. Paul, Minn. in the past two days.

The good part of it, however, is that if I fractured a bone in my wrist trying to break my fall, I'd have three months to recover before our golf season resumes -- and I already know how to do that, because I've learned to deal with winter.

By the way, as I was doing the Watusi on the sidewalks this morning, my only thought was: I'm getting out of here as soon as I can.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

THuckaby2

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2004, 03:00:53 PM »
Rick/Michael - that makes perfect sense to me.  One does what one must and gets used to one's place in life.  So one skis, or leaves, or deals with it.

I've just never had to deal with it before... this is all new... but perhaps the mention of skiing is a good one.  Not that I'm gonna do that - I patently suck at it and it wouldn't be a good idea with a left-arm cast anyway - but I am gonna find something else to do.  Problem is the cast prevents a lot of those things.  But I will find SOMETHING.

So far it's been video games.  My kids kill me at them, but I am getting better... NHL Hockey is pretty damn fun.... as is Madden Football...

TH

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2004, 03:08:38 PM »
Huck -- If it's video games, try one of the golf sims. They are very addictive, and somewhat satisfying when the real thing isn't available.

A few years ago I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists (an occupational hazard of journalism, but at least I was able to schedule the two surgeries in the winter -- and schedule them six weeks apart, so I didn't have to ask my wife to do unspeakable tasks for me...)

While laid up, I began playing Links Pro every day. I got my lowest score down to a 58 with my left hand, and then it was time for the second surgery. I further improved to a 56 with my right hand while the left was recovering.

I thought I was getting good enough to enter some online tournaments, until I saw the scores that those get-a-life types shoot (they're in the 40s.) But I did get good enough to get a glimpse of what Al Geiberger, David Duval, Annika Sorenstam and Phil Mickelson must have felt like when they broke 60.

Give it a try. You got nothin' else to do...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

THuckaby2

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2004, 03:16:27 PM »
Huck -- If it's video games, try one of the golf sims. They are very addictive, and somewhat satisfying when the real thing isn't available.

A few years ago I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists (an occupational hazard of journalism, but at least I was able to schedule the two surgeries in the winter -- and schedule them six weeks apart, so I didn't have to ask my wife to do unspeakable tasks for me...)

While laid up, I began playing Links Pro every day. I got my lowest score down to a 58 with my left hand, and then it was time for the second surgery. I further improved to a 56 with my right hand while the left was recovering.

I thought I was getting good enough to enter some online tournaments, until I saw the scores that those get-a-life types shoot (they're in the 40s.) But I did get good enough to get a glimpse of what Al Geiberger, David Duval, Annika Sorenstam and Phil Mickelson must have felt like when they broke 60.

Give it a try. You got nothin' else to do...

I have Tiger Woods 2003 for Nintendo. The 2005 looks VERY cool and has a course-changing feature... Sounds like I know what to ask Santa for.

TH

Dan Kelly

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2004, 03:34:21 PM »
I'm getting out of here as soon as I can.

Duluth is nice.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2004, 04:05:36 PM »
Tom;

I grew up in bleak northeastern PA where winter seems to last for six months.  During my mid 20s, when I first became reasonably gainfully employed, I decided that rather than bemoan my golf-deprived state, I'd learn to ski instead.

On Opening Day, I broke my leg in two places, and was in a cast for five months.  The last month, around April, I had only an "impact cast", from below the knee to the ankle.

I was so desperate to play that I walked 18 holes on a VERY hilly course wearing the cast (it was too wet for carts after the snow melt), and didn't do too badly despite the lack of a proper weight shift.

The next year, I moved out of the hell hole, and although I'm only 2 hours south, the 7 degree temperature average and proximity to the sandy Jersey shore (and its winter courses) has made all the difference.

THuckaby2

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2004, 04:07:37 PM »
Tom;

I grew up in bleak northeastern PA where winter seems to last for six months.  During my mid 20s, when I first became reasonably gainfully employed, I decided that rather than bemoan my golf-deprived state, I'd learn to ski instead.

On Opening Day, I broke my leg in two places, and was in a cast for five months.  The last month, around April, I had only an "impact cast", from below the knee to the ankle.

I was so desperate to play that I walked 18 holes on a VERY hilly course wearing the cast (it was too wet for carts after the snow melt), and didn't do too badly despite the lack of a proper weight shift.

The next year, I moved out of the hell hole, and although I'm only 2 hours south, the 7 degree temperature average and proximity to the sandy Jersey shore (and its winter courses) has made all the difference.

That is sage advice also.  A man must certainly know his limitations.   ;D

So for me, no one-handed golf, or basketball.

TH

Doug Siebert

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2004, 01:21:26 AM »
Tom,

I dislocated my left shoulder last January, and the one thing I wrong was to try to "get back into it" too fast.  I know well how to deal with long layoffs, living in Iowa there have been a few years where there was snow on the ground pretty much constantly from mid November to early March (luckily global warming has fixed that in the past 15-20 years and we don't get nearly the snow I recall from my childhood....still have had none this season)

But in late March I went out and played nine holes using sort of a half swing, and played semi-regularly starting in mid April though I didn't really get close to my full range of motion until mid to late May.  But I totally screwed up my swing plane due to the compensations I was making to minimize pain, and they ingrained themselves in my swing during the year.

Even if it is tough, wait until you can play without doing anything differently, unless you want to live with whatever swing changes you unintentionally make to avoid pain or compensate for changes in range of motion.

Funny thing though....the biggest problem I had was an inability to move the arm away from my body, doing so was painful for a while.  Trying to swing with your left arm against your body is perhaps not the best thing, but it is just what the doctor ordered for your right arm.  So I think my biggest mistake was that I should have dislocated my RIGHT shoulder, and the habits it ingrained would have been good ones and I'd be playing at scratch now ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

ForkaB

« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2004, 04:07:43 AM »
Tom

How do you type so wel lwith one hand in plaster?

THuckaby2

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2004, 09:11:53 AM »
Rich - the fingers and thumb in the left hand are exposed.. cast goes around the thumb and over the hand and covers the wrist and arm almost down to the elbow.  So typing is awkward, but doable.  Kinda describes my golf swing.

Doug - more sage counsel, thanks.  The doctor has already told me I am not allowed to touch a club again until I am pain free.  Here's hoping that happens quickly, as once this cast is off it's gonna take a LOT of will not to try the game out again....

;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back