News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Can I play Lahinch over Christmas?
« on: December 21, 2004, 03:46:09 PM »
 I am going to Doolin for Christmas. Thanks to Jack Marr for advice. Any other comments?
AKA Mayday

Rick Shefchik

Re: Can I play Lahinch over Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 03:50:20 PM »
I'd like to piggyback on this thread and ask a more general question. I may be in Belfast for Christmas next year. What are the chances of playing some golf then, and what are the best courses in the area?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 03:53:17 PM »
Royal County Down and Royal Portrush are both reasonable drives (less than 2hrs) from Belfast.

http://golf-irl.com/map/map.htm#
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 03:57:57 PM by Brian_Gracely »

Eamon Lynch

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 03:59:12 PM »
I'm sure Jack will correct me if my geography is off, but I think Doonbeg is considerably closer to Doolin than Lahinch. The course isn't in the same league, but it's still worth a visit.

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 04:01:03 PM »
I'd like to piggyback on this thread and ask a more general question. I may be in Belfast for Christmas next year. What are the chances of playing some golf then, and what are the best courses in the area?

Let's keep in touch.  Each of those Brian suggests are musts, as is Portstewart really.  But you MUST hook up with my cousin at Castlerock, which is right near Portrush.  It's a great course and he's a member there and I can absolutely guarantee you a fantastic time.

TH

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 04:04:48 PM »
Doonbeg is South of Lahinch ,farther from Doolin,but thanks for your input.
AKA Mayday

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 04:05:09 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Mike probably also wants to know the answer to this one: what's the weather going to be like at the end of December?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

THuckaby2

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 04:19:59 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Mike probably also wants to know the answer to this one: what's the weather going to be like at the end of December?

My cousin plays golf year round, and has played on Christmas Day.  But he's a damn tough stud... but of course for a man from Minnesota, Ireland will be a piece of cake.

Short answer is it could be c-c-c-cold, but it could be as much as 55 degrees.  It likely will rain.

TH

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 04:30:15 PM »
Beautiful. :)

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 04:38:20 PM »
It makes no odds if you are staying in Doolin.  Both courses are quite close.  Lahinch is about 10-15 minutes and Doonbeg is only about 35 minutes.  Ballybunion is very doable for a day trip.  One problem, many private clubs do not allow visitors during Christmas break.  If they do allow visitors, they may consider 27, 28 and the Jan 3 holidays.  

The weather is easily playable in December-January.  Just avoid the 5c with rain and 25 mph winds.  It takes a nice long bath and several cognacs in front of the fire to recooperate.  Not a bad way to spend the day!

Rick, Tom is right.  Portstewart is certainly worth a game no matter what time of year.

Ciao

Sean

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Bill Gayne

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 04:46:50 PM »
A seat by the fireplace in McGanns with a drink sounds like more fun  :).

Have fun.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 05:53:35 PM »
The Kerry (I know it's a bit further south) Tourist Board used to have a wonderful slogan: 'There isn't a lot of climate in Kerry but there is surely a lot of weather.'

Go for it - go for all you can reach in the time available!  Links golf can be immensely rewarding in winter.  It's hardly different from the same course in summer, except you probably have a bit more leeway off the tee.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 05:53:56 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Doug Siebert

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 12:49:50 AM »
Is there even four hours of daylight in Ireland during the winter solstice? ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

ForkaB

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 03:40:45 AM »
Check out www.onlineweather.com.

Looks like a white Xmas for Doolin.

PS--sun rises at 9 and sets at 4:30.  Plenty of time for 36 with a hot toddy in between.

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 09:08:09 AM »
 Rich, Thanks for the weather link--good thing I am only bringing my golf shoes- So, if it doesn't happen it is OK.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back