News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Capt Thomas Clarke
« on: January 24, 2003, 07:11:17 PM »
I am venturing to The Mission Inn (Fla) and find an 85 year old course by Capt Thomas Clarke of Troon UK. However the Arch of Golf list him in italics in the index but have no entries regarding him in the gazateer. What can you all tell us about the man or the course?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Bill_McBride

Re: Capt Thomas Clarke
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 09:46:06 PM »
I played there maybe 20 years ago, really hilly for FL, fun course but think they've added at least one more course since then.  There was a solid left-to-right cape tee shot over a lake, a number of downhill tee shots, pretty good golf course.  And the up and down is very unusual for FL.  Let us know how it has developed and how the courses are today. I don't remember anybody talking about the architect of the original course.

Ward Peyronnin

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 05:12:03 PM »
Thanks Bill . It looked interesting from the pictures.

I still wonder why there is no entry about the designer in the book. Does this mean that he was an amateur or player or pro or some other form of armchair architect?

I will try to find out but I am amazed at the blank look one gets when asking the pro or other people fairly closely connected to a course about the design history.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 08:26:17 PM »
I think you will be quite delighted with the course. My wife and I played there recently in a husband and wife event, and loved the course.

Great piece of property. Lots of elevation changes and big old oak trees.

The 17th is one terrific par 5. Have a good time.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Macwood (Guest)

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2003, 08:30:00 PM »
This is the only course in Florida I've ever played. It does have nice elevation changes, dense old oak forest and some interesting holes - the par-5 4th near the Inn, the Cape par-4 and few holes bordered by the citrus plantation. But I'm not sure how much of old Catain Clarke's course remains. I believe he designed the course in the late 20's and it became a casualty of the Depression, laying fallow and overgrown for years. It was resurected in the 60's, I believe, and I suspect it was redesigned. Although it has some old time feel, I got the impression of a 60's style design.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2003, 08:52:47 AM »

Tom,
When you speak of 60's style design to what are you referring? Large flat greens, fairways with little undulation; am I on the right track?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2003, 10:57:05 AM »
Ward, the italics used to identify the "architect" usually means they were "one trick ponies".  They were gentlemen that weren't really golf designers or architects per se, and just did one course, or a few.  Some of them are people that worked on a crew for an archie and just were asked by some land owner to lay out a courseas a sideline, regardless that they were never actually a golf course designer by profession.  Some of them were touring pros or amatuers that just knew a bit about how a golf course should be laid out and convinced a land owner to let them try. Nothing in the C&W book on Capt Clarke either, although another italics name of Tom Line is given credit for remodelling that course as well.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2003, 12:09:29 PM »
Ward
To be honest I don't really remember the greens - although I played the course four or five times - but it was back when I was in High School. I remember the fairways being pretty undulating, not unlike a course from the 20's, and I do seem to recall a few old fashioned features like a berm on a hole or two.

What gave it more of a modern feel was the use of water as a major feature. And also the general appearance and use of the sand hazards. Big lazy bunkers that were common with many Florida courses of the 60's. From what I understand Mission Inn is unique as far as Florida courses go - I think it might have the biggest elevation change of any course in the state. It's pretty interesting, I enjoyed it.

I have fond memories of sharpening my shuffle board skills to world class level....destroying all comers....I own you Granny!....bring it on Bitch!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back