News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Barnbougle Dunes
« on: December 17, 2004, 04:59:31 AM »
I see that Golf World has done a page spread claiming that Barnbougle has already emerged as a genuine challenger to Royal Melbourne.  All this for about 25 quid!  Well done Tom D.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean Walsh

Re:Barnbougle Dunes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 05:20:59 AM »
15 page spread (give or take a few pages of ads) in Australian Golf Digest just out.

A glowing write up.  

Anyone got a few spare million to set up a second course down there?

I think Tasmania and Australia are in great debt to Greg Ramsay et al.

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 06:47:37 AM »
Sean Walsh:

Not a bad feature in an otherwise worthless magazine, but it's hysterical how they are fudging any future rating.  One moment they say it's top two or three, the next sentence possibly top ten, or even top five if they get their stuff together.  

A fair amount of conjecture elsewhere, too, about it's viabilty, with not too many seeming to believe enough people will go there to play it.

Given that Golf Australia's new issue out listing Australia's best resort courses lists most of them, which have been around for many a year, costing upwards of a hundred dollars, I don't see how Barnbougle could fail.  

Brian Walshe

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 07:08:59 AM »
Mark,

The only thing that might hurt Barnbougle in the medium term is the lack of "cluster effect".  Most places that become popular golfing destinations do so because there are a number of course choices.  Most people tend to get a little bored with one course after a few days regardless of the quality.  

Barnbougle is an exceptional course, certainly the only one that has opened in the last 50 years that you would even consider as a challenger to Royal Melbourne, but for the majority of the players it wants to attract its a plane flight and then a hour and a bit drive.  I've been for the day and I'm back there in a few months with 11 others for the weekend.  To get people back a few times a year and have them stay for more than one night requires another good course in the vacinity.  I think it will be viable as is with one course but if there were two quality courses at Barnbougle it would become "the" golfing destination in Australia.  

Brian

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 07:31:28 AM »
Brian,

I remember that's what you said during our day at @!*^5)*$#@)*& (coded for security reasons, since they don't like their name mentioned) recently.

Is it something you can do in a day?  i.e, catch an early flight, drive there, play 36 and fly back without wearing yourself out?  It's probably the drive to the airport and check-in that's the worst part of the trip.  Macrihanish is seemingly in Hobbit territory, yet the journey there, once past Glasgow, is part of what makes the trip so special.

I hope to make it there at least 2-3 times a year (but hopefully more).

Surely we have an educated enough group of golfers in this country who would prefer 36, or even 54, at Barnbougle than three rounds at a Queensland course?  

blasbe1

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 07:53:35 AM »
Any online links to the article?

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 10:04:04 AM »
If any of our Australian friends could buy me a copy, I'd gladly reimburse them for it, along with shipping. Thanks.

Can't wait to get there.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 10:12:37 AM »
Is it something you can do in a day?  i.e, catch an early flight, drive there, play 36 and fly back without wearing yourself out?  It's probably the drive to the airport and check-in that's the worst part of the trip.  Macrihanish is seemingly in Hobbit territory, yet the journey there, once past Glasgow, is part of what makes the trip so special.

I hope to make it there at least 2-3 times a year (but hopefully more).

Mark,
I went down from Melbourne on a Friday morning and flew back on a Saturday night. This would leave loads of time for 54 holes and some sight-seeing in Tasmania.

It is such an easy trip for the Victoria residents - so long as they do not take Jetstar!

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 10:15:48 AM »
If this course is as good as it seems, travel won't be so much of an issue. Bandon Dunes started out in isolation and is now a full on destination. I know we probably have a larger installed base, but as long as there is someplace to stay at Barnbougle, the golfers will come. I know I am.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 10:49:10 AM »
Well, Ithink if Barnbougle Dunes project goes well, some other quality courses might come...

Kind of a Bandon Dunes effect...

There's some dramatic dunes land across the Forester river next door, more severe than Barnbougle Dunes, maybe too severe...

Plus, there's a lot of cool out of use seaside sites (maybe not dunes land but still) in Tasmania, like on the East side, near Swansea...

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »
As Ran says somewhere on the site,there is only one great course in Australia - something I am in full agreement with.
Kingston Heath is close and Barnbougle is there for others to jugde.
Many here question its long term viability but the reality is if we in Australia want to add to Royal Melbourne and have more than a single seriously great course we are going to have to go to out-of-the-way places like Bridport to find extraordinary land.
We are so spoiled with all the really good suburban golf in in Australia especially in Melbourne and Adelaide.
We all have a choice as to whether it survives and then eventurally succeeds and that involves supporting and playing the course.
Certainly there is no place in the counrty where golfers can match the experience of Barnbougle.They nailed the little clubhouse on the beach with a deck outside for great weather and on open fire - with bookcase beside - for the lousy weather and there is no other place I would rather play in the country.
A second course - perhaps in the trees and out of the wind- would probably help but with the original as much fun as it is you would have to go around it an awful lot in a short time to get bored.

Brian Walshe

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 07:07:20 PM »
Dave,

My comments about the cluster effect were around the ability to attract people back in order to make it a longterm commercial success not how Barnbougle ranks.  Sand Hills is a private club unless I'm mistaken and BD is a public course.  Different business models that attract different people.

I think BD will be very successful early - there is a huge amount of buzz in golfing circles in Melbourne and I've been amazed at the level of interest shown by the "average punter" but I can't help thinking that a 2nd course in the trees that is a little more sheltered as Mike suggests might not mean people come and visit and stay and extra day or two.

Oh and Mike is correct about the clubhouse - that deck is going to end up being very famous in the golf world.  :D

Mark_F

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 07:10:04 PM »
Ben Dewar,

Thanks for the tip.  

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 09:20:10 PM »
Mike Clayton,

Having now seen both Kingston Heath and Royal Melbourne I would guess:

A strong majority would prefer Barnbougle over Kingston Heath (I say that as someone really impressed with KH).

A significant minority if not a majority would even take Barnbougle over Royal Melbourne.

I'll need to visit both agains to decide where I really stand (on RM v Barnbougle), but for drinks afterward, it isn't a close contest.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back