News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

peter_p

online golf auction now
« on: December 16, 2004, 04:17:28 PM »
PBA Galleries    www.pbagalleries.com is now conducting a auction of the golf library of Hal Gevertz, who is a retired columnist for Golf Today. Some items have gone below for below the expected range, but others, like Adamson's book on North Berwick In the Winds Eye (I lost out) are double the top range. On line bidding allowed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 04:17:50 PM by Peter Pittock »

Dan Kelly

Re:online golf auction now
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 04:30:14 PM »
I wish I had a whole helluva lot more money than I do. Some fine stuff there!

Anyone know who this Hal Gevertz was -- other than as the co-author of "World's Greatest Golf Excuses"?

I'm particularly interested in "Philadelphia, Here I Come -- or: Days and Nights at Merion," by Charles B. Macdonald (as told to Hugh Wilson).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 04:35:36 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

peter_p

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 04:36:52 PM »
A first edition copy of Alex Bauer's Hazards went for $4600, expected range 6000-9000. Now up to item 30 with Doak's Confidential Guide to come.

Hal Gevertz wrote the Golf Explorer column in Golf Today for the last 18 years, and was a early member of the Golf Collector's Society. Had to downsize his living arrangements, this sale is the result.

In addition to the Gevertz auction they have an ongoing online auction of other golf books thru Dec 27th.

Gotta check on my other bid.

peter_p

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 04:48:36 PM »
Lot 52 update Doak Confidential Guide, listed as maroon cover, lettered in gilt, One of 1000 copies "for review purposes only".
Expected range 200/300.   Winning bid $747.   Way to go Tom!

john_stiles

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 06:18:38 PM »
My fav was the 'tie clip' from 1951 Pebble Beach tournament which has already been sold ($161).

Next fav in the lot was the signed 'Scotland's Gift Golf' (only $3162).

Many, many club histories for sale.

Some modern reprints of old classics seem to have a high estimate.

The auction has passed the half way point.  Another signed Scotland's Gift (item 185 or such) will soon be for sale.

Ebay site is much easier to use but this is a live auction trying to accommodate the online users.

john_stiles

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 06:23:10 PM »
Items being sold going very quickly

That signed copy of Soctland's Gift Golf went for $4600, yikes

Must have been that JakaB using all the money he saved by playing Wild Horse

john_stiles

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 06:31:06 PM »
Some very nice first editions of GC Thomas' book Golf Architecture in America being sold in a probably an hour.

It will be interesting to see the final prices. One first edition is a signed (verso) copy.

peter_p

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 07:37:46 PM »
Auction is over. The Thomas books went for less than expected.

Mike_Golden

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 01:03:59 AM »
Hal's son Barry is one of my best friends and both Hal and Barry are long term members at Lake Merced GC.

I've seen Hal's collection and it is pretty special, as is Hal-just a wonderful guy.  He had his first hole in one about a year and a half ago, on the 8th hole at LMGC while playing on a Sunday morning with Barry (which he rarely does).

If anyone is interested in anything that wasn't sold please let me know and I can see if Hal is willing to negotiate some of the reserve prices.

Mike

Mike_Golden

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 01:06:45 AM »
I just remembered one more thing about Hal that is pretty interesting-his old locker at Lake Merced was lined with bag tags from many of the courses he had played around the world, including places as disparate as TOC, Seminole, Cypress Point, a course in South Africa, and Lincoln Park.  There must have been a couple of hundred of them in total and I'm sure there are many more that there was no room to mount in the locker.

john_stiles

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 08:26:48 AM »
Wright & Ditson, Guide to American Golf, 1897 ($6325)

GC Thomas Golf Architecture in America 1st edition ($431),
a signed 1st edition ($805)

The Complete Golfer by Harry Vardon (signed) $3162

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 09:38:25 AM »
69 assorted used golf balls, in a bag: $11.

I wonder how much you could get for a barrel full of broken tees.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

BCrosby

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 10:01:12 AM »
Mike - I just emailed you about a book I wanted to buy but got online too late to bid for. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

P.S. Per some of the comments above, I was shocked at some of the winning bids. Pricing on top end signed golf books has officially gone into orbit. Wow.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 10:16:11 AM by BCrosby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back