News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

20 courses in the country better than Wild Horse
« on: December 16, 2004, 11:02:22 AM »
Dan,

That is an old question...move on.   Wild Horse is a prime example of a course being helped by its proximity to Sand Hills....I could name 20 courses as good and as cheap as Wild Horse out there...but just not a pit stop for a number one..

btw...don't ask me to name them cause I could probably come up with a hundred and then cutting the list would ruin my day..

Brad,

Start a thread on that subject...something like the 20 courses in the country better than Wild Horse on a cost plus fun basis and I will.....but not on my thread buddy....

JakaB,
   here's your chance... let's see'em...all 100 please

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

Dan Kelly

Re:20 courses in the country better than Wild Horse
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 11:05:39 AM »
Good work, Brad, starting this thread so early in the day.  ;)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

JakaB

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 11:09:04 AM »
I'm busy right now...but here is one..

Oak Glen...known as Stoy...$5 all day of 18 holes and a little more than 6000 yds.....will post more later or just google it yourself..

JakaB

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 11:33:37 AM »
http://www.customscorecards.com/scorecard.php?course=6798

I wish I had pictures of the course but the 5th hole is one of the great short par fours in golf....my buddy Juice just got killed in wolf when he wolfed and made bogey....how often does than happen on a 317 yd driveable par 4..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 11:36:57 AM by John B. Kavanaugh »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 02:28:25 PM »
Just 99 to go, come on JakaB, let's see the list ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tony Petersen

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 02:32:10 PM »
 :D C'mon, Oak Glen is not in the same league as Wild Horse, nor Bayside for that matter ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

JakaB

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 02:56:45 PM »
I agree that Wild Horse is more interesting architecturally than Stoy but the value of Stoy (one sixth the cost) blows Wild Horse out of the water.   In an independent test a couple of weeks ago my friends and I had to choose between Doak's Quail Crossing at $17 vs Stoy at $5...Stoy was a unanimous choice....after a couple of plays throw Wild Horse at $30 and you would get the same result.....So that's one better.

Now,  go to Huntleys thread on minimalism and you will find a second course of superior value vs fun....that's two...

You can't tell me that with 1500 members on this site we can't come up with 98 more....

Has anyone played Christmas Valley in Oregon...it looks nice but may be a bit pricey..

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 02:59:57 PM »
Rustic Canyon, Bethpage Black, and Bethpage Red. 95 to go.
Mr Hurricane

Brad Swanson

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 03:07:03 PM »
Rustic Canyon, Bethpage Black, and Bethpage Red. 95 to go.

Jim,

"...as good as and as cheap..." are Barney's words (my bold lettering).  Last time I played the Black Course, I forked out $78, and I think rustic is more expensive as well.  Can't count'em towards the list, sorry.  Can't comment on the Red Course.

Cheers,
Brad

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 03:08:58 PM »
Last time I played the Black it was $31 and the Red was less. How much is Wild Horse?
Mr Hurricane

Brad Swanson

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 03:11:24 PM »
I agree that Wild Horse is more interesting architecturally than Stoy but the value of Stoy (one sixth the cost) blows Wild Horse out of the water.   In an independent test a couple of weeks ago my friends and I had to choose between Doak's Quail Crossing at $17 vs Stoy at $5...Stoy was a unanimous choice....after a couple of plays throw Wild Horse at $30 and you would get the same result.....So that's one better.

Barney,
   I'm not following your logic here (your quote in bold).  Have you or your "independent test" subjects actually played Wild Horse GC in Gothenburg, NE?  I've asked before but you haven't answered.  Just curious.

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 03:12:39 PM »
Playing Tobacco Road this week or next for $29, and I don't have to spend the $xxx to fly to NE.  

Brad Swanson

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 03:14:48 PM »
Jim,
   The Black course is $78 for non-New Yawkers (at least it was for me this October).  Wild Horse is $35 (+ or - a few bucks) on the weekends.

Cheers,
Brad

Andy Hughes

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 03:16:28 PM »
Playing Tobacco Road this week or next for $29, and I don't have to spend the $xxx to fly to NE
Now that is a bargain.  Is that just their regular Winter rate Brian?

"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Brad Swanson

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 03:17:13 PM »
Brian,
   What are Tobacco Road's rates during prime season?

http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/rates.html

I certainly don't see $29 listed here.  Try again.

Cheers,
Brad

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 03:18:58 PM »
Playing Tobacco Road this week or next for $29, and I don't have to spend the $xxx to fly to NE.  

No fair!! What's bad is, you could fly here, I could pick you up and we could drive to WH for less than the fee at Pebble or Pinehurst, or wherever. Now, that is rediculous!!

Guess I could do the same for TR, huh? I think when we played in June is was about $55. I think even that is a bargain!!

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004, 03:20:30 PM »
Playing Tobacco Road this week or next for $29, and I don't have to spend the $xxx to fly to NE
Now that is a bargain.  Is that just their regular Winter rate Brian?

For most of the winter (Nov-Feb), the rates are $39...at least that's what they always send me in email updates (which anyone can get subscribed to).  And until the end of 2004, they are also giving you $5/off for each can of food or golf club that you give as part of their charity drive (limit 2).  

So ok Brad, it's not $29 all year long, but it is for ~3months a year.  But it's also 35-40mins from my house ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 03:20:54 PM by Brian_Gracely »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2004, 03:23:56 PM »
Brian,
   This time of year here, I can't play anywhere for less than a $35 investment in fees/travel/parka, etc (unless I want to lose a digit or 2 to frostbite ;)).  
    Incidentally, I hope Tobacco Road makes the Dixie Cup II rotation.  I've been looking forward to playing it for some time.

Cheers,
Brad

JakaB

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2004, 03:31:05 PM »
Brad,

You know I rarely discuss courses I have played...I have not played WH...but I have played Clearcrest in Evansville, In...and at about 80 cents a hole it is a better course than Wild Horse.  Go to the site and take a tour if you don't believe me...

http://www.clearcrestpines.com

In this excercise a course can cost more than Wild Horse...but if it do it's got to be better...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 03:33:15 PM by John B. Kavanaugh »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2004, 03:31:11 PM »
Often, the special rates at Tobacco Road in the local newspapers are for NC residents only.   There's even a special Sandhills-area rate that Ran takes advantage of.

I think the e-mail special is the way to go, it doesn't seem to state NC restrictions, but perhaps they don't mention it to those they send it to they know are NC residents (required info when you sign up).  I'd be curious to hear if the same special rates are offered to non-NC residents.

John,

The difference between a $5 or $15 course and the $35 at Wild Horse is very small, it is not a multiplication factor that matters.  It is the difference in cost that matters.  Wild Horse vs. say, Pebble or #2 or some overpriced CCFAD.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 03:33:35 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

CHrisB

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2004, 03:48:06 PM »
Haven't played Wild Horse, but it's hard to beat Pete Dye's Oak Hollow GC in High Point, NC.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=13099

JakaB

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2004, 04:09:31 PM »
At $15 to walk Oak Hollow is clearly superiour.....92 to go...

Scott....tell my friends that are young school teachers and play a hundred rounds in the summer that $20 a round don't count..

Matt_Ward

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2004, 04:14:13 PM »
Brad S:

I'll give you two in New Mexico --

Black Mesa

Pinon Hills

I'll also mention a new Jim Engh design in Colorado called Lakota Canyon Ranch.

You also have Devil's Thumbs in Delta, CO by Rick Phelps.

Old Works in Anaconda, MT by Jack Nicklaus is also well done and quite modest to play.

Let me point out that I personally believe Bayside is not far apart, if at all, from what you find at Wild Horse, despite what many people may claim.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2004, 04:14:35 PM »
Pretty sure that Ran's Southern Pines GC is also less than $35, year-round.

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2004, 04:14:47 PM »
There are a ton of courses less than $35 to walk in my area.

None of them are better than Wild Horse.

Maybe the word you were looking for was cheaper.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back