News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Golden

Did you ever...
« on: December 13, 2004, 08:17:00 PM »
play a golf course and been unable to remember anything about a single strategic feature the next day?

I played such a golf course yesterday-El Dorado in Long Beach, CA.  A golf course originally designed by the fantabulous Ted Robinson and reworked by Cal Olson.  

This is a course that the City of Long Beach calls, "The previous venue of the Queen Mary Open, this facility has now been selected as the site of the prestigious Long Beach Open. A magnificent 18-hole layout, El Dorado can truly be called a "player's course," due to its expansive layout and numerous water hazards."

Except for a decent long par 3 9th hole with good bunkering I honestly remember nothing except you get to the tee, look where the bunkers and the trees are, and try to hit it in between all of them.  

Based on this and several other of his courses I've played I suppose Ted Robinson could be called the Chaunce Hayden (the Peter Sellers character from Being There) of golf architecture-there's just nothing there.

Anyone else have a similar story from another course/architect?

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Did you ever...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 09:12:54 PM »
Mike,
You forgot to mention the grueling pace for this Championship Links.

El Dorado could very likley be the course that Mike Cirba wakes up to from his Nightmare Before Christmas.

God help him if he does. We may never see him again......

JakaB

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 09:28:51 PM »

I honestly remember nothing except you get to the tee, look where the bunkers and the trees are, and try to hit it in between all of them.  

Sounds like every hole at Cuscowilla except for the ones that you look where the water is and try to stay out of it...

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 10:33:51 PM »
John, Very weak. VERY weak! You'll have to do a lot better then that to compete with the likes of Teddy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back