News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

And, the winner is ?
« on: December 13, 2004, 05:45:36 PM »
Will Southhampton, Shinnecock, National Golf Links and Sebonic be deemed the greatest collection of adjacent golf courses in the world, or, will Mike Keiser's collection give them a competitive battle ?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 05:46:20 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Mark Brown

Re:And, the winner is ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 05:55:53 PM »
Patrick,

Yes the Bandon Dunes trio will compete with them despite the historic edge of LI trio. But only time will tell who wins.

I think a good measuring stick is Which three would you rather play for the rest of your life? I'd have to take B. Dunes

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 07:31:32 PM »
Ahhhh, add Friar's Head, Bethpage and Fisher's Island into the mix, and what do we have? Beat that
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 07:34:18 PM »
Cary,

How are those courses adjacent to one another ?

Michael Moore

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 07:40:12 PM »
Pat Mucci -

Did you mean to say "contiguous" instead of "adjacent"?

One of these solstices I'm going to play a swath through Southampton like Sherman through Georgia.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 07:50:13 PM »
Well, here in the Twin Cities we have the U. of M. Course (Tom Vardon), Midland Hills (Raynor) and Gross Municipal (??) all within spitting distance of each other. Given my travel budget, I'll vote for those.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jfaspen

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 07:54:05 PM »
Ahhhh, add Friar's Head, Bethpage and Fisher's Island into the mix, and what do we have? Beat that

Ok, I take Bandon and add SFGC, Pebble and CPC.

West coast wins.. Only by the additions though.

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 08:01:30 PM »
How about Arcadia Bluffs, Crystal Downs and Kingsley? Or down here in my neck of the woods....Naples National, Calusa Pines and Old Collier?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 08:07:57 PM »
Bandon Dunes - public golf

ian

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 08:24:25 PM »
Patrick,

I'll think Melbourne has a legitamate claim. That's a lot of good golf at one interesection.

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 08:44:00 PM »
Patrick - Tough to say. Sebonack could be a bust, however unlikely that seems. Early returns on BTrails seem to be positive. However, I wouldn't give up NGLA and Shinnecock, even though I find the surrounding areas of Bandon far more agreeable then the S. Fork (its not that difficult to find areas more enjoyable than the Eastern End of long island).

What about WF E/W and QR, separated only by Griffin Rd?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 09:11:55 PM »
be deemed the greatest collection of adjacent golf courses in the world,

Depends on how liberal you use "adjacent".  Actually I would say yes, it is the greatest collection although I probably put Bandon courses down a few spots.  Others are, and in my list you need to be able to walk easily to all thus Friars Head or Maidstone would not qualify.

Pebble, CPC, Spyglass, MPCC (2), Spanish Bay, Pacific Grove

Olympic (2), SFGC, Lake Merced, Harding Park

Winged Foot (2), Quaker Ridge, Fenway

Its all subjective fun.

Jay Cox

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 09:16:07 PM »
Can you really walk between Pebble and Pac Grove?  Or Pebble and Spanish Bay, for that matter...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 09:25:44 PM »
Give me the Robert White triumvirate of Skytop, Glen Brook, and Water Gap in the Poconos.  

Anyone who completes these 3 courses in one day gets a free 36-hole round at Mountain Manor.

(this post courtesy of the Pocono Vacation Bureau)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 09:55:24 PM »
Casa de Campo, To Dye Fore
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jason Mandel

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 11:26:01 PM »
I'll nominate for Columbia/Chevy Chase for 3rd place.  

cary,

only 1 week to go until i get to play TEETH, can't wait!  Unfortunately wont have time for Dye Fore. :(

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Steve Lapper

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 06:27:02 AM »
"Others are, and in my list you need to be able to walk easily to all....."

Joel Stewart

By your measurement, the following might easily apply:

Royal Melbourne West & East
Kingston Heath
Metropolitan
Victoria
Commonwealth
Yarra Yarra

(Mates...help me out and re-organize them into "adjacent" distances.")

I do know most of them are withing some measure of walking from each other!

Golf nuts are so quick to forget, ignore, or simply exclude the Sandbelt (mostly due to never having seen it). My good fortune to have played some of these reminds me every day that this is the GREATEST close-by concentration of fun, style, playability, and test on this planet!!! ;) 8)

I would venture to say, that given the recent inclusion of Barnbougle Dunes and St. Andrews Beach, the rough stretch from Adelaide, east to Tasmania, north to Sydney has the blows California, the East Coast of the US, and all of Ireland away....only leaving Scotland to give it some run.

Make like Magellan and hurry up down there!!! ;D ;D

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Andy Hughes

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 09:23:05 AM »
Give me the Robert White triumvirate of Skytop, Glen Brook, and Water Gap in the Poconos.

I'm not entirely clear how someone could prefer Shinnecock, NGLA and Sebonac to this trio, other than the bigger names and reputations?  Is it true the 2013 Open is headed to Glenbrook?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 11:25:35 AM »
Andy Huges,

How could you forget Southampton, a wonderful Raynor gem ?

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 02:17:27 PM »
Boys

If we are truly talking walking distance (about 2 miles for a Yank), then we must not overlook Woking, West Hill and Worplesdon.  AND OF COURSE there is The Old, New, Eden, Jubilee and Kingsbarns.  AND OF COURSE there is Muirfield, Gullane #1, #2, #3 and North Berwick and Luffness and a  few holes on The Glen.  Us Yanks truly are provincial.  Surely these three areas are worth a mention or has George made another decree I have yet to hear?  

Dollar for dollar, East Lothian gets my vote.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Andy Hughes

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 02:41:29 PM »
How could you forget Southampton, a wonderful Raynor gem ?
Sorry Pat, I was going for symmetry which required 3 courses. No slight intended towards Southampton.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 10:02:56 PM »
Jason:

How could you not have time to Dye Fore?  Make the time, life is too precious to be there and not do :'(

Jason Mandel

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 10:46:12 PM »
cary,

here's the problem.  were going on a cruise that leaves out of lauderdale.  the cruise ship doesn't get in until 1PM in Casa. We leave Casa that night at 11PM, but since we don't get in to Casa until 1PM since its our first stop and so far out from Lauderdale, we only have time to play once, who knows when the next time i will get out there >:( but at least i get to play teeth with my dad and brother, i'm certainly looking forward to it.

jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back