News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Aerial photo of Ballyneal
« on: December 13, 2004, 02:42:06 PM »
Ballyneal's web site has an aerial photo of the course under construction taken from the south as the sun sets:

The gallery containing this pic can be found here:

http://gallery.ballyneal.com/Winter-at-Ballyneal

from all of the galleries:

http://gallery.ballyneal.com/

Kevin_Reilly

Re:Aerial photo of Ballyneal
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 02:52:01 PM »
Thanks...we need Turboe to get out his telestrator to show the routing.  :)
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Kirk

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 03:27:50 PM »
Before someone with telestrator talent shows up, here's a verbal description of the routing:

18 is the big blob on the far right.  Working backwards, 17 and 16 are long holes on the bottom.  15 is a par 3.  14 is on the left edge, 13 works it's way back to the middle of the photo.  12 is a short 4 dead center.  11 is a par 3 from left to right, and 10 is a long par 4 just above 18.

9 green and 10 tee are close to one another near the 18 green.  9 works back to the center, 8 goes up to the high center.  The loop at the top is 7 (a little par 4), 6 (a long 5 that looks small), 5 (par 3), and 4 (a big par 4) moves back to the high center.  3 is invisible here.  1 and 2 are par 4s, moving up the photo from where the 9th green is.

The only long walk will be between 3 and 4, maybe 200 yards over a ridge.  And what looks like little ripples on this photo are pretty large on the ground.  In particular, I see a little valley across the 14th fairway (far left), that must be at least 15-20 feet deep.

Very exciting.  I have never been involved in a golf club at this early stage.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 09:55:21 AM »
bump from yesterday afternoon

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 08:19:02 PM »
Just a couple more comments.  The picture is taken from the north.  The sun is setting on the west (right side) of the photo.

Kinda looks like sugar glaze drizzled on a pastry.  Tasty!

JakaB

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 08:21:03 PM »
Looks like lots of containment..

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 09:38:19 PM »
"Looks like lots of containment.."

Yes, that is true to an extent, based on my fuzzy recollection of walking the property.  There are quite a few holes routed in valleys between large dunes.  However, I don't think balls are invariably kicked back towards the center on these holes.  It's more random than that.  Also, if you miss the generous fairways (plus a little rough), the ball will just splash in the sand and stay there.

There are a lot of holes routed over ridges as well.  And several of the greensites are in natural depressions.

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 10:03:29 PM »
I'm all screwed up.  I guess the picture is taken from the south-southeast.  Ah well...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back