News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Re:Teaching Advice
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2004, 05:51:59 PM »
Damn it Jeff. Tell us about this book. Where do I get a copy? Better yet, how do I get it autographed?

We spend a day together at Cuscowilla and you never mention it? C'mmmmon. Give up the details. ;D

Bob

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2004, 06:06:10 PM »
Jeff,
Are you trying to tell me that Bobby Jones never looked at his own films? ;D

I couldn't agree more about what your saying in regards to the devotion. (My word on it)

I recently was having lunch with Jamie Mulligan--the head pro at Virginia CC in Long Beach. Four of us were at the table talking about the golf course when all of a sudden, I think it was Ernie Els or Retief Gossen came on the television for some tournament that they were playing at that weekend, and Jamie stops me right dead in my sentence (a very hard thing to do) and says, Tommy, hold on a second. I want to see this swing. I get into swings like you get into golf courses...."

I knew then to shut up listen and watch, and then listen to what Jamie had to say about it after the swing. This wasn't an authority of the golf swing--it was a student of it.

To me, that's the best kind of teacher.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 06:06:36 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

MargaretC

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004, 06:15:22 PM »

Jonathan:

Guess there are as many opinions as there are individuals, so here's my $0.02 worth.   ::)

There are so many facets to the game, I think beginners are better served via private lessons with a respected teaching pro not far from home to accomodate 1-2 lessons weekly plus time to practice between lessons.

Virtually every PGA Section identifies the top teaching pro in their section.  After referrals from friends/colleagues, that's, in my opinion, the next best place to find a good local teaching pro.  Set up an appointment with the pro to learn his/her teaching style as well as assess if rapport can be established  The video analysis of swing, etc., has become standard with the majority of these teaching pros.

There's too much for beginners to learn to cram into 1-2 weeks at some "golf school" as far as I am concerned.  

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004, 06:21:58 PM »
Margaret,

I agree with you - my sense is, as has been posted here, is that any of us, especially a beginner, needs time to digest the info he/she receives - no matter what the source.

All of you step back and read what you wrote!  Can any of you imagine me printing this thread and giving it to my friend?  His used clubs would be in the trash in 5 minutes.

JC

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2004, 07:38:08 PM »
JC: The best advice you could give him is to take a series of lessons indoors now and to practice indoors where results aren't critical since he can't see what is happening to the ball. I believe that Steve Bosdosh is hooked up with the indoor golf facility in Gaithersburg and you know he is one of the best.  

Lou_Duran

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2004, 07:59:40 PM »
JC,

I am with Margaret on this one.  Your friend needs to find someone who not only knows the swing, but who also communicates and teaches in a manner which the student finds effective.  I once took a year-long series of lessons from a "master teacher" who has a tremendous grasp of the game, good communication skills, and a pleasing personality.  His primary method of teaching is using video and developing the various parts of the swing with drills and aids.  For me, it was a complete disaster, and four years later (as you saw in Chicago), I am still trying to recover.

There are any number of people who can be helpful, though the length of the relationship, BS&T, and aptitude and attitude of the student are probably the most important factors.  Andy Hodson, an infrequent poster on this site from Houston, has an excellent reputation as a teacher.  Amie Fox here in Arlington, TX is doing some wonderful work with both, beginners and accomplished golfers.

In as far as a place to go for a few days, Hank Haney's facility north of Dallas would be excellent.  I've taken a couple of lessons there from Tim Cusick (sp), Hank's director of golf instruction, and can recommend him highly (though he must be very pricey by now).  He teaches the same method as Hank, but has a much better bedside manner (somewhere I have a tape of Tim giving me a lesson with Hank in the background telling a student that his swing is on so many different planes that he can't decide which one to look at).

I am convinced that everyone can learn to play better.  It is a matter of understanding the fundamentals and practicing them repeatedly.  Very few of us can pick up the game when we are adults and become good golfers without proper instruction, focused practice, and frequent application on the course.  Fortunately, one can have fun with golf without being a great player.  Just one accidental good shot or two can keep us coming back.  Stupid game!

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2004, 08:04:20 PM »
Now if he is simply looking for a way to go on vacation and work on his game.....

I have known people to have a good experience at Marriot Shadow ridge in Palm Desert CA.  That might sound pretty good to an easterner in January...

That said.. the way to learn the game is with a local teacher who can see you intermitently and work eith the player over a long period of time!

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2004, 08:45:33 PM »
Tommy,

not sure Bobby Jones would've taken the time.He was a busy man with the law career(also wasn't shy about enjoying the corn in his leisure time),and certainly wasn't a ball beater.
Shooter's the video expert though.

You're right about the best teachers though,the best ones are studying and learning every day(and finding out how much there is to know-and how important it is to keep most of it to yourself and not overwhelm the student).The same is true of learning about golf course architecture as well.Show me someone who thinks they know everything about the golf swing (or architecture) and I'll show you someone who hasn't done a lot of research.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MargaretC

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2004, 11:13:15 PM »
All of you step back and read what you wrote!  Can any of you imagine me printing this thread and giving it to my friend?  His used clubs would be in the trash in 5 minutes.

Jonathan, surely you jest!   ;)  I'm sure the complexity of the game is one of the factors leading to your friend's interest.  Body mechanics is just one piece of the wonderful puzzle.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back