News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carlyle Rood

St. Andrews (New) - Photos
« on: December 10, 2004, 04:00:57 PM »
Below, are photos of the New Course at St. Andrews.

http://www.golfarch.com/New/

I'm still adding photos from my summer trip to Scotland as time permits.  I'll be adding Royal Troon next.  (I've actually already linked the photos of Troon; but, I haven't made the thumbnails yet.)

Hole 4

Hole 11

Hole 13

Brian_Gracely

Re:St. Andrews (New) - Photos
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 04:55:15 PM »
Carlyle,

Looking at your Troon pictures I noticed a few things:

1) What you list as #11 is actually the #12 green

2) What you list as #14 is (I believe) #13 tee-shot

2) The #17 and #18 holes really look different without the stands from the Open.  #17 is really different without the stands in the background...might have actually blocked the wind.

Great stuff.  Did you ever get over to Prestwick on your trip?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 04:59:23 PM by Brian_Gracely »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 06:49:19 PM »
I think these are brilliant photos because they capture the elusiveness of the New Course.  It is possibly the most unmemorable significant course I have played, yet there is no denying its quality.  What is it about the New Course that makes it find its way into the Top 100 UK rankings yet nobody would ever suggest that you play it?  Before the alterations, most would have directed you to the Eden.  I've played the New several times, yet I cannot remember it in the way I can many lesser courses.

It's good to see one or two of the Troon holes that rarely get into the coffee-table books, such as 12 which had such an important effect on Calcavecchia's Open.  It, like the New Course, is so flat that it's very difficult to photograph well.  Most photos (specially mine) make the Postage Stamp seem impotent.  Yours begin to show the mischief.

les_claytor

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 06:14:09 PM »
excellent site Carlyle, Thanks.

Your pictures of the New course struck a chord in me.  It's been twelve years, but I photographed and sketched the same complexes.  The New is a strangly handsome course, kind of like an old car that you like to keep around instead of going for the newer smart cars.

Good work!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 06:14:57 PM by les_claytor »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back