News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

texsport

Re:Golf Digest Best New List - Link
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2004, 04:34:57 PM »
When is Tiger going to weigh in on this Louisana course?  The best new affordable.   Hasn't he already arranged his tickets for that traditional New Year's Day bowl game the Capital One Bowl?  I was wondering why the Tigers would want to play such a quality opponent like Iowa, then I noticed it is a $5 million payout.  That should keep the players supplied with gumbo for a while.

For the LSU Fightin' Tigers it's "Wait'll next year" when they'll have 17 seniors starting on either side of the ball and the Auburn, Georgia and Florida games in Baton Rouge. Auburn and Georgia will experience loss of their star quarterbacks to graduation. Geaux Tigers!

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2004, 05:23:55 PM »
There are 10 "winners" in each category.  I'd like to know how many new courses are opened each year?  Is each one automatically nominated?

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2004, 06:14:06 PM »
I'm not sure that the location of Eagle's Nest is all that bad.  The city setting reminds me of how courses overseas are often in close proximity to the urban industrial core, such as Dunbar.  I suspect that the sheer scale of Eagle's Nest, one of its best attributes, may have been lost in a more pastoral setting.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2004, 08:07:47 PM »
WARNING - Homer comments follow!  I'm not being objective!

I was surprised that neither Tom's Udder Stonewall or Gil's French Creek were mentioned.  Both are pretty minimalistic, and I don't know if that's what GD was looking for.  But that said, Sutton Bay was a helluva choice!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 08:11:43 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2004, 08:18:48 AM »
Tom Huckaby,

And for those of you who have given me a hard time for "MY" Golf Digest list, well... not a single course I rated made ANY of the top 10s.  Bad year for the kid here, I guess.
Perhaps, you just don't understand architecture,
Then again, maybe you're out of touch with Golf Digest's rating criteria.  ;D
[/color]

JWL

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2004, 09:51:13 AM »
John Kendall Sr.

While I certainly agree that our LSU Fightin' Tigers will be experienced next year and have a more favorable home schedule than this year, I looked at our depth chart and came up with a different total of seniors starting for us next year.   I came up with 6 seniors starting on offense out of our top 12 (WR's are interchangeable) and 6 senior starters on defense out of 12. (PK and Punter added).
As you know we were a very young team this year and that experience from our 9-2 (so far) record will be most beneficial for us next year.  We will be a seasoned, experienced, talented team next year will a schedule that should give us a great chance to run the table like AllBarn did this year.
Now if we can only find a consistent QB.   I have great hopes for JeMarcus Russell and especially Matt Flynn.  I don't know if the E. St. John HS QB (who is a soft commit to Texas) can catch on quick enough for next year, but the kid is extremely gifted athletically....and NS has the last shot at him on the weekend of 1/31/05, so keep your fingers crossed.
If we find a consistent QB, we will be tough to beat next year.
G E A U X     T I G E R S   ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2004, 02:59:20 PM »
WARNING - Homer comments follow!  I'm not being objective!

I was surprised that neither Tom's Udder Stonewall or Gil's French Creek were mentioned.  Both are pretty minimalistic, and I don't know if that's what GD was looking for.  But that said, Sutton Bay was a helluva choice!

Dan;

Of the top 10 Private, I've only played Sutton Bay and I can certainly see why the GD voters were impressed.

However, I'm surprised as you are that neither of the new courses in Elverson, PA were noticed.  Perhaps new criteria for "FUN" and "Imagination" are needed to better balance "resistance to scoring"?

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2004, 09:23:03 PM »
great job Mr. Brauer   ;)

Looks like a real beauty!

texsport

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2004, 07:16:38 PM »
John Kendall Sr.

While I certainly agree that our LSU Fightin' Tigers will be experienced next year and have a more favorable home schedule than this year, I looked at our depth chart and came up with a different total of seniors starting for us next year.   I came up with 6 seniors starting on offense out of our top 12 (WR's are interchangeable) and 6 senior starters on defense out of 12. (PK and Punter added).
As you know we were a very young team this year and that experience from our 9-2 (so far) record will be most beneficial for us next year.  We will be a seasoned, experienced, talented team next year will a schedule that should give us a great chance to run the table like AllBarn did this year.
Now if we can only find a consistent QB.   I have great hopes for JeMarcus Russell and especially Matt Flynn.  I don't know if the E. St. John HS QB (who is a soft commit to Texas) can catch on quick enough for next year, but the kid is extremely gifted athletically....and NS has the last shot at him on the weekend of 1/31/05, so keep your fingers crossed.
If we find a consistent QB, we will be tough to beat next year.
G E A U X     T I G E R S   ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

JWL

You have studied the depth chart more than I have. I got my 17 count from Dandy Don and just took it as gospel.

Either way, 12 or 17, I'm looking forward to a great season.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

JohnV

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2004, 08:32:33 AM »
I'm confused at how the Atlanta Athletic Clubs Riverside course can make it on a best new course list.  The course has been there for over 40 years and just reopened after a major remodel that did include rerouting some holes, but it isn't a "new" course in my mind.

The course is excellent now, but it isn't "new".

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2004, 08:38:28 AM »
John;

I had the same thoughts about Sleepy Hole in VA (#8 on Best affordable by Tom Clark).  I understood there to be a Russell Breeden design by the same name since the 60s.  

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2004, 08:59:28 AM »
John and Mike

GD will be adding a Best Remodel category in 2005. I guess it will cover such places as White Manor, Sleepy Hole and AAC which were rated in the Best New in 2004.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

THuckaby2

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2004, 10:09:05 AM »
Tom Huckaby,

And for those of you who have given me a hard time for "MY" Golf Digest list, well... not a single course I rated made ANY of the top 10s.  Bad year for the kid here, I guess.
Perhaps, you just don't understand architecture,
Then again, maybe you're out of touch with Golf Digest's rating criteria.  ;D
[/color]

Well Pat, I certainly don't understand architecture, never claimed to.  Maybe I should take more walks in the park, I don't know.... gee THERE'S a quantifiable way to measure architecture...  ;D

In any case my point was I didn't get to rate very many good courses this year.  Oh well.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 10:10:08 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2004, 11:35:30 AM »
Tom, I don't know if Pat is picking on you and playing with you.  However one thing is for sure, he doesn't know what an architectural wasteland California has become.  Might as well include Nevada too.  Is that anything on the horizon that looks interesting?
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

THuckaby2

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2004, 11:39:46 AM »
Tom, I don't know if Pat is picking on you and playing with you.  However one thing is for sure, he doesn't know what an architectural wasteland California has become.  Might as well include Nevada too.  Is that anything on the horizon that looks interesting?

Lynn - I'm sure he's doing both.  We've had interesting conversations lately concerning his alma mater Notre Dame and my father's (USC - sorry!) and well, he's itching for anything to get a leg up on me.  ;)

But re California, well... others would know better than I do about new courses.  I don't know of anything interesting being developed up here... but I am also not one to know about things until I see and play them.  Here's hoping I do get to play a few in 2005.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back