News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SPDB

Golf Digest Best New List - Link
« on: December 08, 2004, 11:19:23 PM »
I haven't heard of 80-90% of these courses, but I thought the group might like the link. It's not up on there website yet

www.golfdigest.com/bestnew

Doug Siebert

Re:Golf Digest Best New List - Link
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 12:45:29 AM »
Congratulations to Jeff Brauer for topping the upscale public list!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jfaspen

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 01:47:57 AM »
Eagle Eye #5 public is 5 minutes from where I live.  I have walked around it, but not played.  
The big claim to fame is an exact replica of #17 at Sawgrass.  It is spot on except the placement of it in a little pond instead of a lake..

It looks like an incredibly difficult course.  Deep rough, lots of mounding and tough bunkers.  Not a lot of trees so the wind really whips through.  Going to play this spring for sure.

jf

Robert Thompson

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 08:10:20 AM »
I've finally had a chance to read the write up on The Rock, the Canadian course that won Best New. Now I'm aware it isn't very strong, but gosh, it seems to me that Ron Whitten is really caging his language in describing it as well.
I'll repeat what I said in another thread -- I don't know anyone who thought the Rock was a good course, let alone best in Canada for this year. There were not a lot nominated, but still....

Kudos to Jeff and Rod for creating a great course in Blackhawk -- it'll stand the test of time, long after everyone has forgotten about The Rock.

Robert
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 09:12:51 AM »
SPDB - thanks for posting the link.

And for those of you who have given me a hard time for "MY" Golf Digest list, well... not a single course I rated made ANY of the top 10s.  Bad year for the kid here, I guess.

:)

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 10:53:02 AM »
No one mentioned that Jeff Brauer also took #7 in the Best New Affordable Public Course category as well with Indian Creek GC in Carrollton, TX. Nice year Jeff - hope I get to play one of your courses someday soon.

Huck -

I thought everyone on this site was required to rate Tom D courses top notch, even if they didn't play it. At least, that is the popular perception. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 11:01:48 AM »
George:

You're talking about Golfweek raters.  This is a Golf Digest list.

;)

Andy Hughes

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 11:07:06 AM »
not a single course I rated made ANY of the top 10s.  Bad year for the kid here, I guess.
And every time you keep score, your team loses apparently. Tom, am I seeing the beginnings of a pattern?
If I ever run for office, I'd like to ask for your vote for my opponent  ;D
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 11:09:10 AM »
Andy - you got that other reference wrong.  Every time I keep score my team WINS.

Still want me to vote for your opponent?

TH

Andy Hughes

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 11:15:43 AM »
Andy - you got that other reference wrong.  Every time I keep score my team WINS.
Still want me to vote for your opponent?
Ohhhh, well, that's a tad different  ::)
At the least, I think I want you keeping score if we are on the same team....

THuckaby2

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 11:24:31 AM »
Andy, now you are getting the picture.

Come on out for THE KING'S PUTTER.  Well make a NorCal out of you one way or the other.

;) ;)

Andy Hughes

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 11:37:29 AM »
Come on out for THE KING'S PUTTER.  Well make a NorCal out of you one way or the other.
Can you get there from here? Is it a left or a right out of D.C.?

THuckaby2

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 11:41:15 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
I'd have to say it's one big left from DC, in oh so many ways.

It is a California event, after all.

;D ;D ;D

BTW, where is the hue and cry from everyone at how The Rawls course got screwed?  This is disappointing.  Typically we'd have 8 pages of Golf Digest-bashing by now....

TH

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 11:51:26 AM »
Shit Dave, I've been positively Moriartarian-contrary lately, for me anyway.  Didn't you read my questioning the objectivity of Jonathan Cummings ranking the four magazine rating systems at Matt's winter meeting?  Giving Mucci crap about ND's firing of Willingham?  Giving you crap about horrid lists of underrated architects?

Must be winter coming on.

;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 03:38:13 PM »
BTW, where is the hue and cry from everyone at how The Rawls course got screwed?  This is disappointing.  Typically we'd have 8 pages of Golf Digest-bashing by now....

TH

Yeah, I'm sure some swamp in Louisisana designed by an architect who isn't even in business anymore is better than the Rawls Course!   :o

The Gators and Skeeters must have upped the "resistance to scoring" factor.  Can you walk it, or do you need one of those hydroplane things with the fan on the back to get around?  ;)

Just giving you crap, Huckaby.   ;D

THuckaby2

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 03:40:11 PM »
Now THAT is what I've been waiting for.

One thing's for certain:  this Louisiana course must be one heck of a fine walk in the park.

;D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 07:59:43 PM »
From the writeup on The Rock:
Faldo made only four visits to the course during its creation, including a ceremonial grand-opening round

What a architect  ::)   4 visits?  

I feel sorry for the real architects, David Moote and Brit Stenson.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 08:49:01 PM »
When is Tiger going to weigh in on this Louisana course?  The best new affordable.   Hasn't he already arranged his tickets for that traditional New Year's Day bowl game the Capital One Bowl?  I was wondering why the Tigers would want to play such a quality opponent like Iowa, then I noticed it is a $5 million payout.  That should keep the players supplied with gumbo for a while.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Robert Thompson

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 09:13:40 PM »
Dan: You'd only feel sorry for David Moote until you've played one of his courses or taken a look at the routing for The Rock. Then you'd reconsider your position. :)

R

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 09:35:12 PM »
I haven't been to The Rock (can't wait), but I can say that I had fun playing the "Mark O'Meara Course" at Grandview Resort in Muskoka, designed by Brit Stenson.

I visited the course mid-construction and although I wasn't all that impressed, when I returned to play, I was pleasantly surprised. It's not Highlands Links, but it's a fun course that provides plenty of room to play, and an interesting variety of holes.

Sadly though, I think the "O'Meara Course" seems pretty good because of the ultra-poor quality of the Muskoka courses in general. There are some good courses up there, but none are really that great. And I think a few could have been special.

Hopefully Ian Andrew and Doug Carrick will change that at Muskoka Bay... coming soon.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 09:36:06 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

henrye

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2004, 10:44:50 AM »
"Sadly though, I think the "O'Meara Course" seems pretty good because of the ultra-poor quality of the Muskoka courses in general. There are some good courses up there, but none are really that great. And I think a few could have been special."

I have to disagree with you Jeff.  I don't think there is another resort area in the country that can match Muskoka in terms of quality golf courses.  If by great, you mean top 100 in the world, than I think it's a little unfair as Canada may only have 2 or 3 courses that would fit that bill.

As for the Rock, the course is quirky, similar to Grandview and Seguin Valley, but at least the thing is walkable.  It's actually a very scenic place, but as a golf course I would have to agree with Robert that it's probably somewhere near #5 for the area.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2004, 11:34:58 AM »
Hi Henry.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh in my last post. There's certainly a collection of "high end" courses in Muskoka. I'm just a tough critic. And, I just don't think many feature really, really exciting and unique architecture.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 11:35:55 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2004, 02:58:06 PM »
Probably a little harsh, Jeff, but I recognize your general point.  Most of the courses up there a pretty decent and a few are pretty good; I think those of us in Southern Ontario are so sick of hearing about the "next big thing" being built up there and we've become a little put off by the constant marketing hype.

The Rock certainly has some excellent holes (2,9,11,14) but also has some simply awful holes (3,12,13,16).  From what I can gather, it seems that public perception of the course has been dismal at best and I'm very surprised, to say the least, that it was voted Best New.

Rob--Was Eagle's Nest on the ballot???

Robert Thompson

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2004, 03:06:40 PM »
Matt: Eagles Nest wasn't on the list -- but I'd be shocked if it doesn't win next year.

Robert

henrye

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2004, 04:30:43 PM »
It's nice to see the Canadians highjacking a Golf Digest thread.  As for Eagle's Nest, I was amazed by this course.  To me it exemplified what a big budget golf course can be.  I don't think much of the site (next to the city's main landfill with flames rising 10 feet as the gasses are being burned off).  Imagine what could have been built with this budget at a different location.  I, for one, think it's a shame that they spent all that money, created a terrific, unique course and chose that site.  I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't win best new.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back