News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Re:What's the Best Course That NLE?
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2004, 03:27:22 PM »
Patrick:

Selective memory is a GOOD thing.  I'm usually pretty happy both in the present and past.  ;)

Seriously though, it remains kinda cool to have a link to that course, which for so many just remains pictures in a book.

TH

BCrosby

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2004, 03:53:28 PM »
East Lake no.2 deserves a mention.

It existed until '76. I never played it but I know lots of people who did. The consensus among better players is that it was a better course than the surviving 18 (no. 1) at EL. The no.2 course was an original Ross design and thus had the full benefit of Ross's talents.

Aerials seem to bear that out.

The surviving EL 18 is a Ross redo of a 1910 Bendelow routing.

Bob

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2004, 05:03:17 PM »
From the descriptions in Dan Wexler's write-up of The Lido in "Missing Links" it sounds like the course by 1942 was at the end of all that it ever was or had been. The course as described by Madonald probably around 1920 sounded pretty dismal too---and least condition-wise it seemed to be to him.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 05:05:43 PM by TEPaul »

Craig Disher

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2004, 06:10:07 PM »
It was there in 1940, a memory in 1942.

Tom, I don't have CBM's book with me. What were his complaints about the course in the 20s?

ChipOat

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2004, 02:07:04 PM »
The Links Golf Club near NYC on Long Island may be the greatest course that became NLE in the last 20 years.  The club was dissolved and the course sold sometime around 1990.

It wasn't up to The Lido (I guess) but I played it several times (Tom Paul more often than that) and it was absolutely unreconstructed vintage MacDonald.  Really, really neat and a genuine shame that it disappeared.

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2004, 03:46:27 PM »
Chip:

Did I tell you the time I hit a ball through the kitchen window and knocked the large bowl of sorrel soup (to be served to everyone at lunch) clean off the table next to the window and all over the kitchen floor?

ChipOat

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2004, 05:43:21 PM »
Tom:

Several times.

Gerry B

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2004, 11:24:59 PM »
Shaughnessy (originally founded in 1911) moved to its present site on SW Marine Drive in the 1950's - the original course was situated on a piece of land that  is now the van dusen botanical gardens on 37th and oak st. I grew up near the old site after the original course closed.The place was overgrown-but served as great terrain for our mini bikes as many of the bunkers were still intact. The current lease expires in about 20 years -as it is on Native Indian land so count on the club building a new course in a diffferent location.

Re: Lido  -In Daniel Wexler's book it states that Claude Harmon (1948 Masters Champion and pro at Winged Foot and Seminole)  said that The Lido was the greatest course ever and that opinion was seconded by the greatest golf writer of his day -Bernard Darwin.Hard to argue.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back