News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Re:Most Underrated US Golf Destination
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2004, 08:12:19 AM »
Tom;

Could you share with us some of Tommy Birdsong's original contributions to the art?

McCloskey

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2004, 05:40:32 PM »
Cabo
I know it technically isn't in the US, but neither is Jamaica.
From my perch, if Cabo isn't #1, then it is underrated.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2004, 10:50:00 AM »
mark,

my main issue with Hilton head as a golf destination was the quality of public vs private.  I found the private courses to be dramatically better with the exception of Harbour town, which is so ridiuclously priced I have a hard time calling it public.

When I was down there last, we played the two Art Hills Palmetto courses, Hall and something else, we played Daufuskie Island Melrose, which I was very dissapointed in although we had the course to ourselves and the ferry ride over really is very neat.  

On the private side we played Long Cove, which I was blown away with and the newer course at Berkeley Hall, which , like you said was good not great but I thought better than any of publics we had played.  I also hear great things about Belfair, Colleton River (both dye and nicklaus) as well as chechesee creek.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

blasbe1

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2004, 02:02:52 PM »
I've got to conclude that Northern New England gets the nod, IMO, it sounds like about 7 days and a little driving and you could just about play courses you've never heard of and discover some real gems.  I confess that I'm biased because of my experience at Cape Arundel.  I also loved Farm Neck on Martha's Vineyard which is not really northern NE but it could be hit on the way up or back if you're driving from the NY Metro or Philly area.

TEPaul

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2004, 03:57:30 PM »
"Tom;
Could you share with us some of Tommy Birdsong's original contributions to the art?"

MikeC:

I could but I'm not going to. Fernandina Beach Municpal is one of the world's truly HIDDEN gems and it would be much better to just encourage people to go there and see it rather than me trying to explain it on here.

Tommy Birdsong and his contribution to the art? Again, one should just go to FBM to see for themselves. I will give you one hint though. Timucuan indians were some of the gentlest people who ever lived. Also, they were, due to cultural reasons, almost completely tattooed. FBM is in some ways a reflection of Tommy Birdsong, a Timucuan, in that the golf course is perhaps the best example in the world of tattooed golf architecture!

tlavin

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2004, 04:11:42 PM »
As a follow-up/affirmation of Mark Brown's post on Hilton Head, I have to say that I am in agreement.  Hilton Head has a great diversity of golf courses, both public and private, along with a lot of other diversions.

I think that all of the focus on Bandon, Kohler and Pebble, to name a few, has taken some of the spotlight off of Hilton Head, which is not a bad thing, given the fact that it has been so heavily developed over the years.  But the best thing about Hilton Head is that you can go there several times a year for many years and never get bored with the golf, the nightlife or the scenery.  It really is a special place.

So I'll post my vote for Hilton Head.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2004, 04:58:57 PM »
tom paul,
im going to be in lauderdale fri and saturday, am i anywhere near ferdinanda?

jason

Jason Mandel

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2004, 05:06:33 PM »
well redanman, i do play to be in jacksonville around february if you catch my drift!!!

anywhere worth playing in or around lauderdale, getting on a cruise on sunday and bringing the clubs cause were playing TEETH

jason

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back