News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

blasbe1

Most Underrated US Golf Destination
« on: December 02, 2004, 02:56:12 PM »
Sure we've heard of Bandon, Pinehurst, Kohler, Kiawah, Myrtle, etc., but what is the most underrated golf destination in the US?

I nominate Williamsburg, Va., the Golden Horseshoe alone would be worth the trip but there'a also Royal New Kent, Stonehouse, Kiskiac (spelling?) and many more since I've been last I'm sure.  

If it's not Williamsburg, what is it?

Jimmy Muratt

Re:Most Underrated US Golf Destination
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 03:05:51 PM »
I think Northern Michigan is the most underrated golf destination.  There is a stong assortment of quality courses and a lot of other things to do as well.  There is wonderful fishing and watersports with all of the lakes and also plenty to see with Mackinac Island, Harbor Springs, Petosky, Old Mission Point and Sleeping Bear Dunes nearby.  

Public courses:

Arcadia Bluffs
Lochenheath
Treetops - Jones, Fazio, Smith
High Pointe
Forest Dunes
Black Forest
Bay Harbor
Little Traverse Bay

Privates:

Crystal Downs
Kingsley Club

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 03:08:58 PM »
Based on my experience this past summer, I nominate Colorado as the most underrated golf destination in the US. See my previous posts on this.

Out of the US, I like the White White in Jamaica as underrated. Excellent course and excellent accomodations at the Ritz.

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

ChasLawler

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 04:16:56 PM »
Isn't Colorado a bit large to be considered a golf destination on it's own?

It's not my thread, but my thought of a golf destination (and this would be stretching it) would be somewhere where you never have to drive further than 45 minutes from a central point.

I've never been to Northern Michigan, but how close are all those courses to each other?

Williamsburg seems like a logical choice. On top of the Horseshoe, RNK, Stonehouse and Kiskiack, add Kingsmill - for those interested in playing where the pros play (ed) - or where the ladies play now.

The Homestead and the Greenbrier don't seem to get a whole lot of respect either.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 04:18:46 PM by Cabell_Ackerly »

blasbe1

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 04:22:05 PM »
Jimmy,

Very good pt. about N. MI, btw, where in MI is Lost Dunes?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 04:24:05 PM »
I'll throw in my neck of the woods. Pinon Hills, Black Mesa, Twin Warriors, and the backnine at Riverview.  Especially since winter golfing, is very common. They don't overseed (thank G-d), and, you literally can't beat the price.

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 04:25:39 PM »
Cabell,

As you know, I, like David Gookin and Ran Morrisett, am a huge fan of the the Cascades Course, the Homestead Resort and the Old Course.  

I have to admit that I've not played the Lower Cascades so I cannot comment.  I've only been there with my family and I couldn't play all the golf I wanted to so I stick to the Flynn courses.  Since I only get to play 3 times on those trips, I play twice on the Cascades and once on the Old.

As for families, there's all sorts of outdoor recreational activities including swimming, mountain biking, canoeing/kayaking, fly fishing, horseback riding, falconry, etc.  The kids love it and the wife loves the spa.  We've been there in the summer and early fall and think it is awesome.  

We haven't been to the Greenbrier.  I guess I should take a trip over there to play some golf when we go again.  I have been told that the accomodations are nicer at the Greenbrier.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 04:36:42 PM »
Jimmy,

Very good pt. about N. MI, btw, where in MI is Lost Dunes?

SW part of the state in Bridgman, on Lake Michigan, about an hour from Chicago.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 04:38:51 PM »
The Greenbrier is a spectacular place, although I do have to admit it was a little weird for this jewish kid to be there over Easter Weekend.  

My brother had a junior golf tournament there about 5 years ago and it was really neat because the 1st day we were in the golf house having lunch and who was at the table next to us, slammin sammy snead!  he later spoke at the tournamnet dinner.

the accomadations at the greenbrier are certainly first class, just an all around unbelievable place.  one of those places that look totally out of place with the rest of the town, and probably the rest of west virginia for that matter ;)

i have to say that when i look back at my appreciation for golf architecture the greenbrier had to be one of the 1st places that opened my eyes.  the 1st day we played the greenbrier course, the one where they had the ryder cup, etc.  then the next day knowing nothing about the old white course (raynor) i played that course came away thinking why everyone thought the other course was so good, and i infact thought the old white was awesome.  at the time i wouldn't have known seth raynor from tom fazio.

jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Bill Gayne

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 05:10:31 PM »
I'm not sure what standard people are using for "underrated." But let's get real on Golden Horseshoe, Greenbrier, and The Homestead all of these are Golf Magazine Gold Medal resorts with courses that consistently rank in the top half of any resort course listing. I don't think they are going unrecognized.

Living in the Williamsburg I'm the biggest fan of the courses around here. However the drawback of living around here is that the vast majority is post 1980 and none of it was done by "golden age" architects. It has a very wide and I think good variety of modern golf  and it's a great family vacation.

The Greenbrier and The Homestead has classic architecture but once you get beyond these courses there's not a whole lot else to sample. Both like Colonial Williamsburg are great family vacations.

All great destinations but I don't think underrated.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 05:14:49 PM »
Canada, its kind of part of the US.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 05:23:39 PM »

Definitely. I think of the Maritimes and the Muskoka region of Ontario. Muskoka doesn't have anything off the charts architectooralooraly, but Deerhurst Highlands (Cupp), Rocky Crest and Lake Joseph Club (McBroom) are certainly solid, and with all of the rock formations of the Canadian Shield jutting out here and there, they're a unique looking group of courses. Muskoka is gorgeous in the summer with all of its lakes and pine forests. Underrated destination, imo.

ChasLawler

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 05:31:42 PM »
I'm not sure what standard people are using for "underrated." But let's get real on Golden Horseshoe, Greenbrier, and The Homestead all of these are Golf Magazine Gold Medal resorts with courses that consistently rank in the top half of any resort course listing. I don't think they are going unrecognized.

Bill,
You’re exactly right, but I think those places are all underappreciated on this board – or perhaps “under-mentioned” would be the better word.

Wayne,
Architecturally, the Lower Cascades is probably #3 on the rota at The Homestead, but it’s worth taking a look at. It’s probably the most scenic of the three.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 05:44:35 PM »
I have not been there but Michigan sounds very good. The gulf coast of Alabama is getting better all the time.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 07:19:17 PM »
Colorado as a golf destination:

The reason I listed this is because Colorado does not have 1 particular resort such as Kohler, Bandon, etc., but if you do not mind using a cart, you will find some thrilling golf thru out the state and into the northwest corner of New Mexico as well.

Underrated because it is rarely mentioned here or advertised in any cohesive way in any publications.

While I have not done the RTJ Trail, it is probably somewhat similiar in that it is a bit spread out.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

blasbe1

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 08:01:54 PM »

The Links at Crowbush on PEI blew me away, PEI, however, is becoming well known as a golf destination so I'm not sure it qualifies as underrated.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 08:45:54 PM »
I'll split my answer ...

for a place relatively remote, offers quality golf (although not in large dosages and is quite affordable -- the answer is New Mexico. I know Adam is a fan because he lives there but I've been to a number of places in the States and New Mexico gives plenty for the buck.

for a place that's on the beaten trail and offers a range of golf options -- both quality public & private -- try Cape Cod in Massachusetts. On the private side you get some gems like Eastward Ho! and Oyster Harbors, to name just two. On the public side there's plenty to take advantage of and best of all, just off the Cape you have a range of facilities in and around the Plymouth area. The prices are also very competitive -- just try to tackle them before Memorial Day or after Labor Day! ;D

John Foley

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 08:48:11 PM »
Here are a couple:

Toronto - The quality of public available golf is out of this world. (Oops, missed the US part)

MN Lakes region (can't be;leive Mrs. Kelly & Scheflick haven't jumped on this).

Indianapolis - Very good, very reasonable public access.

Northern Michigan, Williamsburg & Homestead/Greenbriar get a TON of PR
Integrity in the moment of choice

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 09:01:38 PM »
I instantly thought of the MN lakes region when I saw this thread...I'm glad John beat me too it.  However, northern MI is not underrated by any means...when Golf Digest did a ranking of areas a couple of years back, it made at least the top 15.  

A couple of others that not yet mentioned:

- Spokane, WA
- Flathead Valley of Montana
- West MI area...taking away the privates there is some excellent golf in the area for very reasonable fees.  In good conscience I can't include the privates there when most can't play them.
- I have heard the Bend, OR area is pretty nice, but I haven't been there personally

Joe Hancock

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 09:07:05 PM »

- West MI area...taking away the privates there is some excellent golf in the area for very reasonable fees.  In good conscience I can't include the privates there when most can't play them.
- I have heard the Bend, OR area is pretty nice, but I haven't been there personally

Pete,

This is probably a direct correlation to the quality of the superintendants in these areas..... ;D, Well, at least in the case of Bend, OR it is....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 10:38:02 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the golf in and around St. George, Utah?  I have heard some positive things about what is available there, but I am curious if anyone has firsthand experience.

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 10:52:30 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the golf in and around St. George, Utah?  I have heard some positive things about what is available there, but I am curious if anyone has firsthand experience.

David,

I can't believe I forgot St. George.  Its certainly up there when you consider playability.  I played Coral Canyon & Sky Mountain when I was there...can't enjoy better golf for the $, not to mention the scenery...Zion is just too good to pass up.  I can give you more details about the area if you want...just IM me.

Pete

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 11:08:30 PM »
Pete-

Thanks for the prompt feedback about St. George, Utah. I am not expecting to go there anytime soon, but I remember a friend telling me about the place 6-8 years ago.

Other than an article in LINKS Magazine maybe 3-4 years ago, I don't think I have heard or read anything about the place. I do not recall any discussion about it here on GCA.

DT

blasbe1

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2004, 11:09:04 PM »

for a place that's on the beaten trail and offers a range of golf options -- both quality public & private -- try Cape Cod in Massachusetts.

If you're at the Cape, take a ferry over to Martha's Vineyard and play Farm Neck, Cornish 1976, it's semi-private and well worth the ferry ride.  The course feels 80 years old.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 04:55:33 AM »

No Joel, it is not.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back